Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Hope someone else has an idea on this one.

we have noticed that, about 2-5 minutes after turning the engine off, there’s a strange “groaning” noise coming from the engine / front.Vehicle is stopped.

first time we heard it, we thought it was construction. Nope. Then we thought it was another car. Nope. It has me baffled ...

I can’t get a recording of the sound because the timing appears to be variable.

The best description that I can think of is that it sounds like a drawbridge opening ...

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

- KSmith (2018 Armada Platinum)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Haha I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this! Yeah it's a hard sound to describe, I call it a whining groan.. and i figure it is the coolant cooling down and pressure relief from either the radiator or reservoir. I have been meaning to open the hood one day and wait for it to pinpoint where it comes from. I will try to remember tomorrow after I park at home, but you can open hood and get a long screwdriver ready (10 in or so) and hold handle to your ear, (flattening the tragus on the handle) and point on different parts of coolant system. I will try the reservoir then move to radiator as it's still going to see which is louder for a start. It will be hard to time as you are right it varies and does not last long.

Of course, any Nissan mechanic that knows for sure would be nice as I don't think I've ever heard this on any other V8 I've owned.

·
Super Moderator
6,014 Posts
the car will go into a deep sleep after a couple of minutes. you may hear a blend door open to vent on the inside and if the blend door is stuck, it can make a "ratchet" sound.

this will depend on the state the HVAC is in when you stop the car. if its been cold of late in your area and you've used the heater, this may be the cause.

still, its best to get a recording or as a temp solution leave a phone or something in there and let it record audio for about 10 minutes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts