1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Are these really HID bulbs?

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
I don't think so. HID requires ballasts and typically special reflectors. Likely these are super-white halogen, but I'm guessing.

I'm interested in the brightest ones but I'd like to see a pic of before and after before I jump. If anyone goes ahead and wants to snap some pics that would be great!

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
These are not HID. They are good bulbs for a good price though. HID is about $500 or so.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
What makes these so much better than the silverstars, that they cost 2 to 3x more?

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
As far as Silverstars go, I don't like the look of them. They don't seem that much different than stock Halogens, and one of mine burnt out within 6 months. I've had PIAA in the past on my old Accord and they never burnt out. The look is good as well. If you don't want to buy PIAA I would recommend to not buy any other Halogen bulbs at all, or go HID.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Christmas lights

I think all those "super white" bulbs are just christmas lights. Cheasy christmas lights that burn out. Stockers are brighter 99% of the time. I just go with 80w replacements at 7.00 each (still the burn out problem of the bulb or harness), the next step is real HID. They are down to 299.00 at blinglights.com full kit with balasts in any color temp you want. I hear it is better to have projectors but then I look at all those Acura's out there with Factory HID with no projectors and it looks fine to me. Pattern is pretty decent on the Armada. I wonder is there anyone out there who has upgraded to HID on their Mada?

Chrisarmada
2004 smoke armada
2005 Mini Cooper S (with real HID / projectors)
1994 BMW 325iC (with euro projectors / halogen)

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
chrisarmada said:
I think all those "super white" bulbs are just christmas lights. Cheasy christmas lights that burn out. Stockers are brighter 99% of the time. I just go with 80w replacements at 7.00 each (still the burn out problem of the bulb or harness), the next step is real HID. They are down to 299.00 at blinglights.com full kit with balasts in any color temp you want. I hear it is better to have projectors but then I look at all those Acura's out there with Factory HID with no projectors and it looks fine to me. Pattern is pretty decent on the Armada. I wonder is there anyone out there who has upgraded to HID on their Mada?

Chrisarmada
2004 smoke armada
2005 Mini Cooper S (with real HID / projectors)
1994 BMW 325iC (with euro projectors / halogen)
I'd agree with you except for the PIAA. They did add a noticable amount of light to my Jeep Grand Cherokee vs. stock. Not as much as I get from my HID in the G35, but halfway in between. Also, HID is illegal to add without the proper reflector gear inside the housing. This isn't availabe yet for our trucks. Hopefully someone will make a new light housing kit to enable us to legally mount HID in the future.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts