Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've hardwired my Audi, now getting ready to do the Armada, any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
5,214 Posts
I mounted my Bel 8500 near the top of the windshield, just to the left of the mirror. It is out of sight there, and has a better range since it is high. The front and rear laser detector works much better mounted high. I made a bracket from 16 gauge sheet metal, and painted it flat black. I removed the overhead console and made the bracket so it would attach under it, so there would be no screws showing. I had to trim the console slightly to make clearance for the bracket. Power comes from the mirror power wire, it is the green/red wire. It connects to the ignition switch, so the detector turns on and off with the engine. I have attached a picture of the mounted detector. Note it is mounted upside down so the controls can be reached easily. The Bel has a function to flip the display, so it reads correctly when mounted upside down.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
To scr38

How did you get the roof console off? I can only find two screws under the sunglasses store and I don't want to force it off. Thought there maybe more screws under the console lights, but can't see how to get them out either.
I have my detector mounted on suction cups just to the left ot the mirror, but would prefer it in same place as yours.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,214 Posts
If I remember correctly there are 5 screws (plus clips) that hold the console on. Two in the rear compartment, two in the center and one in front. I am on my way out now; going out of town for the weekend, so I can't go look now. I think you will find all five screws if you look in all the compartments. They are not behind the lights. After removing the screws start at the back and pull down on the console to release the clips. You can unplug the wiring connector then.

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
isnt that area of the windshiled have the black dots all over it?? That would interfere with the radar signal no?

·
Premium Member
5,214 Posts
The black dots are plastic; they don't cause any problems for me.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Valentine setup

I have a Valentine also. Can you be more specific on how you mounted your detector? Thanks...

Also how did you wire your bad boy.

·
Premium Member
1,582 Posts
GasDoc said:
I have a Valentine also. Can you be more specific on how you mounted your detector? Thanks...

Also how did you wire your bad boy.
I use the bracket that is made to clip to your sunvisor and just slide it into the headliner. My wire is run down the driver's A-pillar and hard wire into the ign. wire under the dash.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
I mounted mine to the left of the black dots as the suction cups wouldn't stick to them.

My car is an LE with sunroof and I can only find the two screws in the front console, it still feels like its bolted up somewhere else though and I don't want to force it off.

·
Premium Member
5,214 Posts
Tmation said:
I mounted mine to the left of the black dots as the suction cups wouldn't stick to them.

My car is an LE with sunroof and I can only find the two screws in the front console, it still feels like its bolted up somewhere else though and I don't want to force it off.
The Service Manual shows only two screws on your console. Remove them and using your fingertips pull down at one corner to pop the clips loose.

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am getting ready to go do this now with my Passport 8500 2004 LE..any suggestions?? I only see the 2 screws in the sunglass holder.....help

·
Premium Member
4,360 Posts
PHLOCKER said:
I am getting ready to go do this now with my Passport 8500 2004 LE..any suggestions?? I only see the 2 screws in the sunglass holder.....help
I was able to run the wire under the headliner, down the a pillar which is held on by two screws(the handle) and some clips, and then into the fuse holder area on the passenger side. May be easier for you if you have doubts. Took me 5 minutes. ;)

BTW, I needed to do this as I had a valentine which has the power converter/remote, that goes into the cigarette lighter. To make a long story short, if I wanted to use the remote in the Armada, not make any permanent changes, have no visible wires, and still have the detector portable between cars, this was the best solution. ;)

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok....we popped off the console, found the wire harness going to the power mirror. Which wire is the POWER wire? We found a Green wire with brown (could be Red, maybe our eyes are playing games)....how do we know for sure what wire is the POWER to tap into??

·
Premium Member
4,360 Posts
PHLOCKER said:
ok....we popped off the console, found the wire harness going to the power mirror. Which wire is the POWER wire? We found a Green wire with brown (could be Red, maybe our eyes are playing games)....how do we know for sure what wire is the POWER to tap into??
Test them. Use a test light or meter. If you don't have one, make one. Use the bulb from the over head, tape a wire on either side, put one wire on ground, and test with the other. If it lights up, its +. Then, using the + on one side, test another wire. If that lights up, its -. Remember, test with the doors closed so you know the power is still there when the doors are closed and the light's off. Personally, I'd like the radar to turn on and off automatically with the car, so mine is hooked up on an accessory wire instead of constant. This way I don't have to continually turn on and off and I don't forget to turn it off and kill my battery in 3 days. ;)

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
anyone have a photo of the wire that should be tapped into?

·
Premium Member
5,214 Posts
It is the Green/Red wire that runs to the mirror. The power turns on and off with the ignition. I think you have found the correct wire. There is no Green/Brown wire there.

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i think so too, going for it.....will let you know the outcome.....

·
Premium Member
4,360 Posts
scr38 said:
It is the Green/Red wire that runs to the mirror. The power turns on and off with the ignition. I think you have found the correct wire. There is no Green/Brown wire there.
Good to know there is an ignition wire there. :2cool:

·
Premium Member
5,214 Posts
92TripleBlack said:
Good to know there is an ignition wire there. :2cool:
One last thing - Be sure you get the polarity correct when you wire the detector.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.