Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm dealing with two different types of vibrations. One I believe is tire related as it has only started at 30K miles on my OEM Bridgestones. The other is the awful pedal/floor vibration. I see this is a design defect with no fix.

With that said, I recently rented a Tahoe and was amazed at how much smoother it drove than my '17 Armada. No vibrations at all.

Any of you trade away your Armada due to these vibrations or are planning on it? I usually don't trade a vehicle until I've owned it at least 7 years, but this car is driving me crazy.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No vibration with my 19 mada yet, 17K miles. What’s the pedal / floor vibration you are talking about? If it is gas pedal then that could be exhaust leak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It seems well documented on here:

·
Super Moderator
5,558 Posts
there's thousands of these cars on the road , and "vibrations" can come from anything. also with a used card being purchased, its difficult to tell the history of some cars, and used cars are only as good as the owners who had them.

web forums are designed to be the "squeaky wheel" - so you will see concentrated issues from time to time about things, as noted in the above link OP posted.

ive had 2 armadas and a second gen qx - never had any vibrations or any issues with either car, and i've had those cars for high miles.

rather than say its "well documented" perhaps , if your car was used prior to your purchase, you should have it checked mechanically with all due respect.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What tires are you guys running? Perhaps my Bridgestone Duellers are the issue or Discount Tire doesn't know how to balance a tire.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Nexen Rodian HTX. Balancing is crucial and many places just don't take the time to do it right.

I had a nasty vibration in my Tundra that would not go away. I rotated the tires around the vehicle myself and the vibration followed the wheel. Had them balanced again, got better, but never went away. New set of Enkei Wheels, but same tires, vibration gone. So it could have been a wheel issue or an issue with the hub bore/lug holes on that one specific wheel.

Could also be an isolated issue with a hub or wheel bearing. There are remote percentages of failure and tolerance run-out on all components, sometimes you just get unlucky.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I test drove a 2019 Armada on the freeway and I experienced that steering wheel vibration. I noticed a mismatched tire on the front and I told the dealer. They replaced all 4 tires and the next day it drove beautifully smooth on the same freeway.
As others have said, I would try a better qualified tire shop.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do suspect Discount Tire did not do the best job balancing my tires. I noticed that they didn't take off all the old weights and then reapply them. They did add a clip on weight to the inside rim in addition to the old stick on weights. I was under the impression when re-balancing a tire, you are supposed to remove all the old weights and then put the tire on the balancer. Perhaps because my tires are not new, they didn't take the time to do a really good job.

The issue is that Discount Tire is the only place in my area w/ a road force balancer.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I do suspect Discount Tire did not do the best job balancing my tires. I noticed that they didn't take off all the old weights and then reapply them. They did add a clip-on weight to the inside rim in addition to the old stick-on weights. I was under the impression when re-balancing a tire, you are supposed to remove all the old weights and then put the tire on the balancer. Perhaps because my tires are not new, they didn't take the time to do a really good job.

The issue is that Discount Tire is the only place in my area w/ a road force balancer.
I've been seeing and hearing the same issue from my friends. Having a balanced tire is important in order to avoid vibration.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm thinking about removing all tire weights and taking the wheels to a different Discount Tire. That way, it will force them to use the balancer without weights.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've had many good experiences without a Roadforce. Few places have them, but somehow those that do always seem to mess something up.

Should remove every weight, I tell them specifically not to use the clip-on edge weights.

Incorrect PSI for load will also make a vehicle feel wonky. Sometimes I don't have time when I get home from a trip with the camper to immediately drop my tires back to unloaded PSI, it is very noticeable and will make a vehicle magnify every vibration.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Has anyone brought the wheels (off the car) to Discount Tire for them to balance? I don't have a ride back and the wait times at my local Discount Tire are insane.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
I swear I had a post on this thread but it seems that it wasn't approved? That's odd.

Is the forum selectively screening post that don't promote the Armada?

·
Super Moderator
5,558 Posts
I swear I had a post on this thread but it seems that it wasn't approved? That's odd.

Is the forum selectively screening post that don't promote the Armada?
not to derail this thread but there are no posts here that need to be approved.

if you have any issues DM me and we can discuss.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Decided to go w/ 4 new tires (Michelin Defenders). Install on Friday. Hope it cures my vibration. I honestly am at my wits end with this damn vibration.

·
Registered
43 Posts
No, because you can fix it by making sure that the tire is balanced. Other reasons might be a bent wheel and a worn driveline u-joint.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Could a driveline u-joint be worn at only 35K miles?
Absolutely.
-Lack of grease at maintenance intervals. Or not sufficient grease or cheap/improper duty rating.
-Vehicle was submerged up to the driveline in water and joints were contaminated.
-Rare catastrophic parts failure. I had a U-joint fail on a brand new CV axle on a 4runner with 5k miles on it, original went 186k miles.

Not saying that's the issue in this case, but yes a u-joint or CV failure is completely plausible regardless of miles.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts