Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Tire balancing is crucial! I always tell the tech to remove all old weights before balancing. I have even gone so far as to take the weights off myself BEFORE having tires mounted or re-balanced. Also, tire balancing won't catch a defective tire, something to keep in mind.

As a side note, don't rule out warped brake rotors. My current 2019 Armada (35k mi) had slightly warped rotors. It was rarely an issue, except a very slight vibration in the steering wheel over 70mph and high-speed braking. Put some pads and rotors on, problem(s) fixed! Super smooth now.

And, this is the second vehicle I've owned that had a vibration issue due to bad brake rotors. Had a similar situation with a Volkswagen Jetta, went through all the motions, balancing, new tires, new struts, alignment.....nothing fixed it, it wasn't horrible so I decided to just live with it. Then on day, I did a (routine maintenance) brake job with new rotors and was SHOCKED that the vibration was gone! Total surprise.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Tire balancing is crucial! I always tell the tech to remove all old weights before balancing. I have even gone so far as to take the weights off myself BEFORE having tires mounted or re-balanced. Also, tire balancing won't catch a defective tire, something to keep in mind.

As a side note, don't rule out warped brake rotors. My current 2019 Armada (35k mi) had slightly warped rotors. It was rarely an issue, except a very slight vibration in the steering wheel over 70mph and high-speed braking. Put some pads and rotors on, problem(s) fixed! Super smooth now.

And, this is the second vehicle I've owned that had a vibration issue due to bad brake rotors. Had a similar situation with a Volkswagen Jetta, went through all the motions, balancing, new tires, new struts, alignment.....nothing fixed it, it wasn't horrible so I decided to just live with it. Then on day, I did a (routine maintenance) brake job with new rotors and was SHOCKED that the vibration was gone! Total surprise.
What rotors and pads did you use? OEM or another brand?

·
Premium Member
261 Posts

In general rotors don't warp. Most likely what you were experiencing was the result of uneven brake pad deposits on the rotors. Uneven pad deposits can be caused by many things, including mechanical issues and/or simply your driving style.

Don't take my word for it, just google it.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion but it was likely the rotor in my case. But, I think you're right, in general they don't warp. In my experience, brake pad problems don't usually cause vibrations, but noise and grinding sensations for sure. That said, once you've rulled out suspension and other related issues, warped rotors are a very possible reason for vibration (especially while braking).

I think the poster has tried all the common fixes for vibration, tires, rotation, balancing etc, and is now looking for less common sources vibration.

If you're going to go down the route of swapping out rotors, go with a well-known brand like Bosch.

"Vibration" can be really frustrating thing to tackle sometimes! Really hope this poster figures it out. The Armada is a great car to drive!

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks for the suggestion but it was likely the rotor in my case. But, I think you're right, in general they don't warp. In my experience, brake pad problems don't usually cause vibrations, but noise and grinding sensations for sure. That said, once you've rulled out suspension and other related issues, warped rotors are a very possible reason for vibration (especially while braking).

I think the poster has tried all the common fixes for vibration, tires, rotation, balancing etc, and is now looking for less common sources vibration.

If you're going to go down the route of swapping out rotors, go with a well-known brand like Bosch.

"Vibration" can be really frustrating thing to tackle sometimes! Really hope this poster figures it out. The Armada is a great car to drive!
I see the OEM rotors for the Armada run about $80. Did you use Bosch or OEM?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I also have 2 posts about this. It is an ever so light buzzing I feel in gas pedal and floorboard and maybe even shifter. I recently did a tranny drain and fill and helped so slightly but ultimately it is still there. I keep changing my mind as to what it is. This week, I feel this may be either torque converter or cheap oem mounts for tranny/engine. I dont feel buzzing when in neutral going through any rpm range. I only feel it during acceleration from about 1500 to 2000 rpm range and gears 1 through 3. Once I hit 4th gear it dissipates completely. My wife senses no issue, but maybe I am just a more sensitive driver and I know my car well. I'll keep following your post.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Darn! I totally feel your pain. I've been there before.

One time I was having a particular issue with a car that I just couldn't figure out. I had put lots of time and $$ into solving something I thought was a problem. Then, I saw the SAME vehicle sitting at my local Carmax, I took it for a short drive and it did the SAME thing. At that moment, my obsession with the issue stopped and the problem faded into the realm of "mild annoyance", I was able to move on with other stuff in my life.

I'm definitely NOT saying just to move on....I just saying I'm a super picky auto enthusiast and I know how a (small) issue can ruin a perfectly good car.

Just out of curiosity, what year is your Armada? Did you have the transmission update (2017-18), the 2019+ drives a little different. If you haven't done that, it's a good change.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Darn! I totally feel your pain. I've been there before.

One time I was having a particular issue with a car that I just couldn't figure out. I had put lots of time and $$ into solving something I thought was a problem. Then, I saw the SAME vehicle sitting at my local Carmax, I took it for a short drive and it did the SAME thing. At that moment, my obsession with the issue stopped and the problem faded into the realm of "mild annoyance", I was able to move on with other stuff in my life.

I'm definitely NOT saying just to move on....I just saying I'm a super picky auto enthusiast and I know how a (small) issue can ruin a perfectly good car.

Just out of curiosity, what year is your Armada? Did you have the transmission update (2017-18), the 2019+ drives a little different. If you haven't done that, it's a good change.
Update!! So, the car is a 2019. I always though I had the latest ECM update but apparently not. My Service advisor at the moment stated he will update it since I just went through the BCI Malfunction and car not starting the other day.

I just left dealership right at this moment. I swear, I feel like I am in the twilight zone when dealing with dealerships. So after explaining issue to a service advisor (different dealership about 60 miles away from my house and 1st time visiting this dealership) he responded well and said he will take a look personally. He just approached me and said the heat shields were loose. Literally asked me did I ever mention it the other times when doing an oil change with other dealers. He said his tech tightened them up and I shouldn't feel a thing. Also did a 2nd tranny drain and fill (I usually do 2 or 3 immediate drain and fills every 30k to freshen up fluid) and also drained and filled differential fluid. I do not feel buzzing anymore. I just cant believe the other time I mentioned it to the other dealer they did not pick this up. Smh. Happy but annoyed that I have been feeling this buzz for so long and it was just some damn hear shields. Smh.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Love a happy ending!
Sounds like there is an update for the occasional non start issue? Happens to me sometimes. I haven't taken it in yet for that issue. I'll do so ASAP. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yes, absolutely...get that update asap. That no start issue is a major nuisance when it happens at the wrong time.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Has anyone here done a tranny drain and fill? How hard is it in the Armada?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thus far I've only seen 1 post where a fellow member asked the same question andbstated they will go ahead and do a drain and fill for the tranny. Cant recall members name unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
Has anyone here done a tranny drain and fill? How hard is it in the Armada?
I’ve done it on my Z62 QX80. Unlike the first gens WA60/JA60s where you could easily refill the tranny via the ATF dipstick tube, there’s a bit more work and tools involved on the Z62/Y62s. The drain and filler bolts are both on the belly of the pan.
You’ll need the following:
Fluid transfer pump, ATF filler adapter (CTA Tools 7425) or Infiniti equivalent, ATF fluid and a scan/diagnostic tool that can read live data for ATF temp.

Reactions: marctronixx
21 - 35 of 35 Posts