Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
For those with 20” wheels, how many ounces of wheel weights are on each wheel? I feel like I still have a vibration at highway speeds (80mph) with my new tires. I noticed that on one wheel, I have 2oz of sticky weights on one side and another 2 oz of clip on weights on the other side. I know these are heavy wheels and tires and this weight is below the 1% rule, but does this seem normal? I’m concerned discount tire didn’t truly “match” the tire to the wheel by rotating the tire on the rim to achieve the lowest balance weight.
I also noticed that after running the vehicle for a while, the tire pressure was reported to be 39psi. Too high?

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Not necessarily. I keep mine at 40psi.
Gotcha. I’m thinking it has to be a crappy balance at discount tire. I have had previously problems with discount tire not doing a great balance job on my Infiniti which required a dealer visit to fix. Next time I’m just buying the tires from tire rack and taking them to my dealer. Infuriating that the tire techs are so lazy they do a half ass job.

Just drove it and I feel now it has a vibration begin at 75 instead of 80. I reduced the tire pressure a few psi. I wonder if that did it. Either way, it looks like I’m going to take it to the dealer for them to do a proper balancing since discount tire doesn’t know what they are doing (they installed clip on weights for God’s sake!).

·
Registered
31 Posts
The manual shows a recommended COLD air pressure of 35psi for the original tires. Double check with whatever tires you currently have on the vehicle.

FYI, many tires have a maximum pressure to aid in max towing and/or load capacities. However, running higher pressures can provide a rougher ride and cause uneven wear on your tires. Just as too low of pressure will heat up the tires, cause a potential blowout scenario and will reduce MPG as it creates more drag on the vehicle.

If I had to choose I'd rather be a little over than under. But checking air pressure frequently is a good habit you should develop.

Do It Yourself, pg 8-33

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Also, the "correct" tire pressure depends on the tire. Tires with stiffer side walls do not require as much pressure to keep the correct contact patch on the road. A tire with softer sidewalls will require more pressure to keep the correct contact patch on the road. You can check this yourself using a chalk test. Google is your friend. As said above, check your air pressure frequently. Look for irregular wear patterns. That will inform you as to whether you need to add or reduce air pressure.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Also, the "correct" tire pressure depends on the tire. Tires with stiffer side walls do not require as much pressure to keep the correct contact patch on the road. A tire with softer sidewalls will require more pressure to keep the correct contact patch on the road. You can check this yourself using a chalk test. Google is your friend. As said above, check your air pressure frequently. Look for irregular wear patterns. That will inform you as to whether you need to add or reduce air pressure.
Agreed

Also, many tire manufacturers have a pressure table for all of their tires that show recommended pressure for the recommended load.

Example: Your running load E tires on the Armada, so right off the bat you're not going to follow the door sticker. If you ran 35 PSI in a Load E tire that had a base rating of 50psi and a max of 81psi you're going to destroy the tire. You tow frequently, therefore the load on the rear tires can fluctuate greatly based on your tongue weight and payload. Tire pressure is a lot more than just a door sticker or the max pressure rating on the tire. It's a measurement that is completely dependent on another variable, the weight the tire is carrying.

There are literally thousands of other examples you can use for tire pressure. I like the chalk test. I also like measuring the sidewall height. I'm Load D, running 50psi when towing and 40psi unloaded.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks for the additional clarification OBX and crazytrain. Sorry I wasn't more clear in my original post. Agree you need to adjust per the specific tires on the vehicle. I mentioned this in my first paragraph but looking back I should have clarified better. The manual and placard on the vehicle applies to the OE stuff only.

Again, sorry if my prior post led to another conclusion. That was not my intent.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts