Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any info on long-tubes that are available for the 5.6?
I don't want shortys.
IMO, intakes and cat-backs are childsplay compared to bolting on a pair of good headers.
Of course, doing all three is ideal.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,214 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link.

Looks sorta promising.
I'm concerned that Mossy's doing a lot of talking about his great headers, and can't manage to post a dyno chart.
Maybe they DID dyno the motor, and the results are disappointing. Who knows.
The NISMO setup got a 70hp gain? That's gettin' close to blower territory!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,214 Posts
rp718 said:
Thanks for the link.

Looks sorta promising.
I'm concerned that Mossy's doing a lot of talking about his great headers, and can't manage to post a dyno chart.
Maybe they DID dyno the motor, and the results are disappointing. Who knows.
The NISMO setup got a 70hp gain? That's gettin' close to blower territory!
They weren't going to dyno the headers until yesterday or today. They are probably running behind. Something new like this always have unexpected problems.
If you really believe the NISMO headers alone are going to give you 70 HP at the rear wheels then I have some prime resort property in Florida that I will give you a good price on! ;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,363 Posts
scr38 said:
They weren't going to dyno the headers until yesterday or today. They are probably running behind. Something new like this always have unexpected problems.
If you really believe the NISMO headers alone are going to give you 70 HP at the rear wheels then I have some prime resort property in Florida that I will give you a good price on! ;)
Stay out of my house! ;)

I'd guess 20 HP on the Nismo and wherever you saw 70 was a typo. They would be better in tandem with exhaust, intake, etc. but without the supercharger or Nos, there ain't 70 HP for sale yet. :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
359 Posts
92TripleBlack said:
Stay out of my house! ;)

I'd guess 20 HP on the Nismo and wherever you saw 70 was a typo. They would be better in tandem with exhaust, intake, etc. but without the supercharger or Nos, there ain't 70 HP for sale yet. :D
70 - It's probably some sort of French HP rating!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd bet 70HP is wrong too, but that's what the claim is.
Don't forget, the starting point is 305, not 200 - 70 is only 22%.
It all depends on how detuned the stock setup is.
I bet the 5.6 is easily capable of 600HP.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
215 Posts
I want long tube headers. I, like many here, know that the shorties are more for show than go. But just to bolt on the long tubes, if experience is any teacher from other projects many of us have been involved, will yield 10% power increase, at the rear wheels, at best. That means somewhere between 25 and 30 true rwhp gain.

But, combine them with a more efficient and free flowing intake and exhaust behind those headers and you begin to see some significant gains. I'd predict about 50-60 total horse increase, maybe the 70 alleged to be attributed to the NISMO headers, but that is with both a Volant or K&N FIPK type intake and a very good tuned open minimum restriction exhaust.

It will take the above plus forced induction or cams and a good programable "tuner" chip to bump it up much above that. And development time with the chip to take advantage of the increased breathing and maximized octane settings will be needed.

This engine is going to prove to be very capable of producing a good deal more horses, but it will be done the old fashioned tried and true way. There will not be any magic bullet or quick and cheap fix.

Just one opinion based on past experience with other projects.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,363 Posts
rp718 said:
I'd bet 70HP is wrong too, but that's what the claim is.
Don't forget, the starting point is 305, not 200 - 70 is only 22%.
It all depends on how detuned the stock setup is.
I bet the 5.6 is easily capable of 600HP.
I was thinking of 300 hp to start. You get about 20 HP from good headers on my vette. You get 70 hp from a good set of polished heads and a cam. I see claims for 70hp from exhausts for vettes also. Never seen one dyno for another owner at higher than 20hp more though without lots of other work done first. :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,363 Posts
3100GPSE said:
WOW $1100 for some headers. is it me or does that seem kinda steep?
Very steep. However, $500 for stainless exhaust like the Gibson seems cheap. Reverse those prices and that's what they charge for those parts for my vette. ;)
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top