Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife drives a 2010 Armada Platinum 4wd and about 6 months ago we started hearing a loud knocking sound coming from under the dash in the middle to right side of the dash. It is fairly random, but noticed it having trouble changing between cold and hot air. Last week the noise stopped and now I can’t get heat to come out of the front vents, but the rear heat works normal. I assume it’s the blend door actuator? Took it by a shop and they said the dash would need to be removed to fix it and they quoted me $623. I called the dealership and they quoted me $1,250. So I assume there’s no trick way to replace this actuator without taking out the dash? Does $623 should reasonable?

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
That sounds about what others have reported it costing.
Here's a post discussing it, unfortunately the pics are missing.

TitanTalk forum has more information about it. You can try looking through this thread, but this one seems to have pictures missing too...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds about what others have reported it costing.
Here's a post discussing it, unfortunately the pics are missing.

TitanTalk forum has more information about it. You can try looking through this thread, but this one seems to have pictures missing too...

any idea exactly which actuator it is? All functions work but it’s not blowing hot air anymore. It goes through all the modes and the recirculating air works. Heat works in back.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
I don't know. I suggest you read through that thread I posted above on TitanTalk. There's like 17 pages of discussion on it there in that one thread,

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
it is a $30 part but annoying to get to. you can do it without taking the dash apart if you can work by feel and not sight. There are several youtube videos on it... that said if you are not very mechanically inclined then yes its going to require removal of most of the dash/assembly. It is going to be a most of the day project if so. $623 might be the motivation you need to spend a saturday doing it though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it is a $30 part but annoying to get to. you can do it without taking the dash apart if you can work by feel and not sight. There are several youtube videos on it... that said if you are not very mechanically inclined then yes its going to require removal of most of the dash/assembly. It is going to be a most of the day project if so. $623 might be the motivation you need to spend a saturday doing it though.
I don’t know what I’m missing. I took the glove box out and there’s no way my hands/arms can fit up in there to access the acuator. Is there something else I’m supposed to remove?

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
I don’t know what I’m missing. I took the glove box out and there’s no way my hands/arms can fit up in there to access the acuator. Is there something else I’m supposed to remove?
there are like 5 actuators but this is the ac blend door one that it likely is.

look on youtube for armada ac actuator and videos pull up with several videos with different approaches.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
I think I'd rather replace my high mount brake light 5 times in a row over doing this job.
Anyway this one may help you identify exactly which one it is...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I'd rather replace my high mount brake light 5 times in a row over doing this job.
Anyway this one may help you identify exactly which one it is...

I know exactly which one it is now. Used an angle mirror and light today and saw it clicking. Problem is I can’t get my hands in there to reach it and I don’t have big hands or forearms. I’ve read that people have done it, I just don’t see how?

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
I agree with these guys. You have to figure even if you can barely get your hands in, how are you going to manage using a wrench and a ratchet? Seems every video I have seen of this repair starts out with the guy giving a heavy sigh before he starts talking.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
I agree with these guys. You have to figure even if you can barely get your hands in, how are you going to manage using a wrench and a ratchet? Seems every video I have seen of this repair starts out with the guy giving a heavy sigh before he starts talking.

yea, 100% doing it without taking out the dash is not a low-medium level skill job (please note i mean zero disrespect to the OP in saying that, but if you can't manage to see how to get your hands in there this probably applies). you need to be able to "as even this video linked says" be able to work and visualize by feel. you will have things being done with 2 fingers on a wrench to control and not drop tools/manipulate parts. taking the dash off is actually not very difficult, it is just time consuming if you want to do it that way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts