Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 2005 Armada LE 4x4 (Silver Lightning, Graphite Leather, Navi, DVD, Sunroof, Tow Package, loaded) since April and just stumbled across Club Armada on my vacation. My mods to date are a cat-back SS exhaust from Gibson (installed at their SOCAL headquarters, story to follow) and Gitano G9 20" chrome wheels running 305/50/20 Toyo Open Country AT's. I will post pic's as soon as I get her all washed and polished again this weekend. I went with 20's because I do get off pavement as often as I can and didn't want to lose Off Road capability by going to the "dubz", but didn't like the OEM wheels and Contintental rubber (yuck!). This Armada was a replacement for a 2000 Dodge Durango, which was OK, but couldn't tow my 23' ski boat very well (4000# wet, call it 4500# with gear). Let's just say the boat disappears behind the Armada--and it get's better gas mileage while towing than the Durango got dragging itself down the road!

OK, so my Gibson story. When I first got the beast I ordered a Stillen cat-back exhaust. After cutting my brand-new baby with a reciprocating saw ( :eek: ) I had the Stillen on. It is a beautiful setup with a really nice tip and a mean note--but, it was too much for the wife, who will be the one driving this thing around most the time. So as you can probably imagine my tuner dreams for this beast were getting dashed, not to mention the $500 I was out for the upgrade with no remedy or return. (I still have the Stillen setup in the garage if anyone is interested) So I did call Stillen directly to see if their was anything they could do to help me tame the wild beast they provided which was now hanging beneath my Armada and they really couldn't help, but did recommend I call Gibson to see if they might be able to help.

I make the call to Gibson figuring at best I am out another $500 to get a new setup and am not really too excited about the prospect of going back to OEM on my exhaust. So I get on with one of the rep's at Gibson and he informs me that they do not currently have a fitment for the '05 Armada. However, if I am willing to make the trek down to see them in the greater Los Angeles area they will hook me up with a cat-back system with full lifetime warranty and a dyno for letting them build one on my Armada! Living in CA, I jumped all over this and let's just say Gibson rocks! They built a system for me using Stainless that bolts on to the Cat's, is beautiful and gave me more power and better gas mileage while keeping it tame enough to make the wife happy! The dyno showed 332 hp and 401 lb-ft of torque and our trip back up the I5 showed 19.2mpg on the onboard computer! And all it cost me was tickets to see mickey and two tanks of gas (hotel was on reward points--go Marriott!).

So that is my story. My next mods are probably going to be a k&n filter, haven't decided on an airbox or not, Rancho RSX shocks, Darker Tint, etc. With all the good info here, I will probably start growing my list more and more.

One happy Armada owner,
MH
:)

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
WHATS UP! Pix PLEASE!!!!!!! FLASH, FLASH. ;)

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Welcome to the board. :hi:

·
Premium Member
5,215 Posts
Welcome to ClubArmada. When you add the CAI you should consider the Volant. It is a true cool air intake, with the box sealed to underhood air. It is a perfect match with the Gibson. Several posters here (including myself) are running this combo and are very pleased with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts