Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

First time owner of a Nissan. Just picked up a 2012 Platinum with 110K miles on her. Well maintained, 1 prior owner, solid maintenance records.

Wondering if there are any MUST DOs at this stage in the game that I should replace or service???

Engines running smooth and quiet at idle and has plenty of pull. Tranny shifts smooth. No indicators so far in dash.

Only noise if noticed so far is at cold start up theres a tinny sounding rattle near the muffler are but once she comes to idle it goes away ???

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,218 Posts
Welcome, and congratulations. I also own a 2012 Platinum, but with a few less miles than yours (we're at 72K). Great vehicle.

First thing I would do is change fluids and filters, unless you have receipts saying they were just done. Engine oil, trans (no flush, just drain and fill), diff, transfer case and front diff if 4WD. Consider power steering and brake fluid as well.

The tinny sound is probably a heat shield rattle. Might want to crawl under and see if the heat shield near the muffler is contacting the pipe or the muffler, and if so, bend it a bit so it doesn't contact. One other area to be concerned with is exhaust manifolds. You're at about the mileage that they tend to crack. You will know they are cracked if you hear a slight "tick-tick" from the exhaust area when the engine is cold. When warmed up, the manifolds expand and seal the leak. Replacement isn't easy or cheap, and many folks here have replaced the OEM manifolds with headers and a tune when they crack.

Congratulations on your new ride. Pictures!!

Keith

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Keith,

Thanks for the warm welcome and the info. I just ordered new filters and will be getting fluids drained/filled this week.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
How's the rear auto leveling suspension? Might want to check the function of it, see if it pumps up and holds air under a load. Mine functioned great, but it handled horribly, especially at highway speeds over uneven joints or transitions so I deleted the air. Lots of material in the forums here about it.
I'm actually looking forward to replacing the exhaust (I've got the crack). Just ordered mine from Cajun B-pipes! Again, lots of material in the forums about them too!

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Congrats and welcome. Have a 2010 Platinum since April and absolutely love it. I think you will yours too. Everybody has mentioned great points so far. Here is a few more. Check the front pinion seal as there are known for leaking. Also check the radiator where the transmission cooler goes through the radiator. Known failire spot and when it fails you get coolant in the transmission and if not caught you blow the tranny up. You will have to remove the front skid plate to check this area. And you are right at the mileage they go. Bought ours with 117,000 and I just replaced the radiator due to failure at the tranny cooler at 127,000. I had already bypassed the tranny cooler so just a radiator replacement for me. Again all well documented on here. You are already tackling fluids so you are good there.
Here’s to many more happy years.

I can’t tell by the pic, what tires are you running? Need to get some new ones before winter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How's the rear auto leveling suspension? Might want to check the function of it, see if it pumps up and holds air under a load. Mine functioned great, but it handled horribly, especially at highway speeds over uneven joints or transitions so I deleted the air. Lots of material in the forums here about it.
I'm actually looking forward to replacing the exhaust (I've got the crack). Just ordered mine from Cajun B-pipes! Again, lots of material in the forums about them too!
Thanks will def test out the auto leveling and see how she holds . . .

Congrats and welcome. Have a 2010 Platinum since April and absolutely love it. I think you will yours too. Everybody has mentioned great points so far. Here is a few more. Check the front pinion seal as there are known for leaking. Also check the radiator where the transmission cooler goes through the radiator. Known failire spot and when it fails you get coolant in the transmission and if not caught you blow the tranny up. You will have to remove the front skid plate to check this area. And you are right at the mileage they go. Bought ours with 117,000 and I just replaced the radiator due to failure at the tranny cooler at 127,000. I had already bypassed the tranny cooler so just a radiator replacement for me. Again all well documented on here. You are already tackling fluids so you are good there.
Here’s to many more happy years.

I can’t tell by the pic, what tires are you running? Need to get some new ones before winter.
Thanks for the welcome! When I go in for fluids this weekend I'll have them look at the front pinion seals and radiator.

She came with brand news tires I've never even heard of, Ironman? All Country A/T. They're 275/60R20 with a 115H rating. They're not even broke in yet, figure I let them spin a few thousand and see how they hold.

Would love to hear some recommendations on good tires I'll prob keep the chrome clad 20's for a year or so . . .

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
While you’re checking out the exhaust, take a good look at the joint where the muffler and tail pipe come together. It’s a common rust area on the factory exhaust systems.

That joint let go on our 2012 while we were on our way home from a vacation. We were only about 8 hours from home, so I just secured the tail pipe, and planned to fix it when I got home.

Because of where the exhaust broke, it was blowing hot exhaust onto the air line for the passenger side air strut. That air line blew and we lost the rear air suspension about 1hour after the tail pipe came loose.

It wasn’t a difficult or expensive fix, but I would have much rather caught it earlier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts