Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off let me apologize if I'm navigating this site improperly as I'm not super site savvy ! I have a 08 Armada that I purchased a while back . It has run flawlessly but the other day I went out to move it and it would turn over but not start . I went back inside and then came back out a few hours later and discovered I had left the ignition key on and the battery was weak so I grab my jump pack and now it wont even turn over . Recharge the battery and still it will not turn over . It seems weird that it would crank but now it wont even do that ! Please help !!!!!!

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Welcome to the forums Scott.

That is strange. So, you have recharged the battery and you're saying that it won't even crank now?
Do the interior lights/bells start going when you turn the key on?
How did you charge the battery - while it was still connected or did you take it out?
Is this a relatively new battery or does it have a bunch of usage on it?
How do the terminals look? Is there any corrosion going on there?
Do you have someone who can turn the key while you give the starter a couple of taps with a hammer?
Do you have any type of remote start system on that vehicle?

I'm wondering if it's not an IPDM or ECM relay issue, provided that the battery is properly connected and has enough starting power.

Getting the initial questions out of the way. I'm sure some of the other users here will chime in soon. The more info they have the better to give you an informed response.
I probably would have posted this under the "problems" section, but it should be fine. If the moderator doesn't like it here, they will gently move it.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
start simple first, have the battery tested at an autoparts store or shop. would be a big coincidence if something else suddenly died when the battery ran low. running a lead acid battery below around 30% will damage it, so possibly it (the battery) is fubar'd

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

That is strange. So, you have recharged the battery and you're saying that it won't even crank now?
How did you charge the battery - while it was still connected or did you take it out?
Do you have someone who can turn the key while you give the starter a couple of taps with a hammer?

I'm wondering if it's not an IPDM or ECM relay issue, provided that the battery is properly connected and has enough starting power.

Getting the initial questions out of the way. I'm sure some of the other users here will chime in soon. The more info they have the better to give you an informed response.
I probably would have posted this under the "problems" section, but it should be fine. If the moderator doesn't like it here, they will gently move it.
Thank you for the reply , Yes it was running great ! Then I moved it across the road before the storm came . A couple of days later I went back out to start it and it turned over but wouldn't start . I then left the vehicle but accidently left the ignition on which drained the battery (not completely though) . I hooked up a jump pak to it and then it wouldnt even turn over . I brought the battery in and charged it all night . Its good and charged . All the lights on the dash come on and everything else works as it should but it still wont even turn over I do here a click under the passenger side of the dash which I am assuming is a starter relay ? Also before the no crank issue I did note that I could not here the fuel pump cycle . Also I don't here a fuel pump cycling now as well . Terminals are clean There isn't a remote starter on this vehicle and I believe the starter is under the intake so wrapping on that is impossible . I pulled the ipdm and checked all the fuses and everything looks good . I also swapped the ecm relay with another one beside it to no avail ! This is weird ! .

Thank you for the reply , Yes it was running great ! Then I moved it across the road before the storm came . A couple of days later I went back out to start it and it turned over but wouldn't start . I then left the vehicle but accidently left the ignition on which drained the battery (not completely though) . I hooked up a jump pak to it and then it wouldnt even turn over . I brought the battery in and charged it all night . Its good and charged . All the lights on the dash come on and everything else works as it should but it still wont even turn over I do here a click under the passenger side of the dash which I am assuming is a starter relay ? Also before the no crank issue I did note that I could not here the fuel pump while cranking the engine over . Also I don't here a fuel pump cycling now as well .
Thank you for the reply , Yes it was running great ! Then I moved it across the road before the storm came . A couple of days later I went back out to start it and it turned over but wouldn't start . I then left the vehicle but accidently left the ignition on which drained the battery (not completely though) . I hooked up a jump pak to it and then it wouldnt even turn over . I brought the battery in and charged it all night . Its good and charged . All the lights on the dash come on and everything else works as it should but it still wont even turn over I do here a click under the passenger side of the dash which I am assuming is a starter relay ? Also before the no crank issue I did note that I could here the fuel pump while cranking the engine over . Also I don't here a fuel pump cycling now as well .

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
I would still get that battery tested as Goofy mentioned above. Perhaps you have a dead cell.
How old is your battery?
Outside of that, you're going to have to wait for some other knowledgeable folks to chime in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I would still get that battery tested as Goofy mentioned above. Perhaps you have a dead cell.
How old is your battery?
Outside of that, you're going to have to wait for some other knowledgeable folks to chime in.
I tested it . It load tests fine . I work on Volvo's but I'm a little lost with this Nissan situation . Hoping someone can shed some light . Thanks !

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Try to boost the battery with a portable jumper. My 2007 is finicky about batteries. I have been changing battery every couple of years to avoid problems. There have been times when it won't turn over at all like you describe. Usually multiple tries or giving it a boost with a jump pack does the trick to get it going. I then change out the battery if it is more than 2 years old. I get them from Wal Mart because they take them back no questions asked and get the balance of the warranty.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
I then change out the battery if it is more than 2 years old.
Yeah I remember a Die-Hard battery lasting me only 3 years.
Then I went to the Optima Yellow Top. I don't think it is worth what you pay for it. That one is now 6 years old and to the point that I have to put a charger on it if the vehicle sits for 2 weeks or more.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well first things first I guess . When it originally would turn over and not start I could not here the fuel pump cycle . The night before we had a real cold snap about 7 degrees F. The tank was super low on fuel so im wondering if the pump let go and then the starter from cranking on it to try and get it started . Long shot I suppose . Ill test for signal at the fuel pump plug,if I got signal and no pump then that's one problem out of the way .But then what are the chances the starter went south too ! GAH !

Have you checked the fuse block off the battery itself? Seems when this goes out, all sorts of problems can occur. It's a pretty cheap part (under $20 on Amazon and probably around $20-$25 from a local autoparts store), so it's not bad insurance to replace it anyway.
Thanks , I checked it and it looks fine ….

·
Super Moderator
5,025 Posts

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Any updates? Have you tried replacing the starter relay?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts