Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I've been lurking around these forums for the past few weeks and finally decided to register and post. I don't have an Armada, but I really like them. I will be in the market for an SUV in the next 1-2 years, and I'm really here to learn about the Armada.

I've been into German cars since before I could drive (VWs and Audis), but I really want to take a step into the big giant SUV market. I currently drive a 2002 Audi A4 3.0 Quattro. It's pretty nice. It gets me to the slopes in the winter and can handle its own on the freeway. Big enough for the dog and the groceries, but it can't tow my track car. I want jet skis too, so, an SUV is where I'm leaning. But until I finish school (2 more years!), the Audi will have to do... it's not bad for a hand-me-down :)

Here's a pic. It's pretty cute :)

I've test driven the Cayenne, Touareg, ML500, and X5, and I really can't justify spending that kind of $$$ on such "little" SUVs. So, I think I'm going to go bigger... because you know, bigger = better. And the Armada looks like a steal for what you get. Especially in comparison to the Touareg (which I almost bought about 4 months ago). 2 extra seats and 2,000 lbs more towing for ~$10K less! I haven't driven one yet, but based on the website, I'm leaning towards a loaded LE 4x4, minus the NAV and DVD (will go aftermarket for sure on that).

So yeah, I'll probably be on here asking stupid questions, as I've never owned an SUV or truck.

Thanks for listening!

~Jonelle

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Heyyyyyyyyyy! Very nice ride. Track car? Do you race?

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Nice Audi . Stay away from the Touareg.......I owned one for a long miserable year. Everything that could have gone wrong did. Thanks to the VWVORTEX forum I was able to educate myself on the common problems and after a year and 18+ visits back to the dealer VW did the right thing and bought back my Touareg.
The Armada has been relatively painless with the exception of the brakes and that was taken care of this week.
I have to say I am quite please with the truck to date.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AZARMADA said:
Heyyyyyyyyyy! Very nice ride. Track car? Do you race?
Thank you! It's a nice car, definitely different than my previous car(s). Before the Audi I drove a 2000 VW GTi VR6, 1991 VW Jetta Carat, and/or 1990 Corrado G60. The GTi was like my little go-kart! But once I finshed my BA, I wanted something bigger and a lil more luxurious, and with graduate school looming (start in August), I decided I shouldn't buy a $55K SUV. So yeah, I got the Audi. It's my P.I.M.P.mobile :) Hopefully for my birthday I'll get some nice 7" headrest monitors to finish out the system.

As for the track car, well, it's mainly a project car. It's seen very little track time as it's always in my garage in pieces. It's an 1986 VW GTi 8v (who wouldn't guessed another GTi :)) It's currently in one piece (mostly), but I've got to get a new exhaust as the hangars on the current one are toast and is making this nasty rattle on the rear axle. I'm thinking a custom bent Magnaflow (sounds so mean) with hidden tips (sleeper style!). Hopefully once I do that, I'll be able to get it to pass tech for AutoX. I've already pretty much rebuilt the engine (to stock), and done some little goodies to it... the ghetto MK2 air box mod, lo-temp fan switch, etc. I've also put some 10.4" Corrado brakes on it, full race suspension, gotten some Recaros to hold me in, and done some "weight reduction". When I got it was in pretty gnarly shape, so I've dedicated it to making it reliable before I start building it up for the track. It's a super fun car to drive. Handles like a shifter cart, and I'm not afraid to take a cone or two (or 6) out with it.

Hopefully one day it'll be fully track-prepped (i.e. not street legal). And so I will need an Armada to tow it!

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dmannx said:
Nice Audi . Stay away from the Touareg.......I owned one for a long miserable year. Everything that could have gone wrong did. Thanks to the VWVORTEX forum I was able to educate myself on the common problems and after a year and 18+ visits back to the dealer VW did the right thing and bought back my Touareg.
The Armada has been relatively painless with the exception of the brakes and that was taken care of this week.
I have to say I am quite please with the truck to date.
Did you have a V6 or V8? My friend is a VW tech and he HATES the V6's because they are always in for some stupid reason. He told me to get the V8 if I had to get a Touareg. I still really like the T-regs. They've got some style! But, again, it comes to price and features. I've lurked the T-reg forums on vortex, but I seldom go over there anymore. Vortex can be a little high-school-ish, especially in the MK4 forums.

I'm actually going off-roading with 8 Touaregs tomorrow... we're heading up to Arroyo Grande and Pizmo Beach. It'll be so fun to see how they handle the terrain. Because the worst terrain my SUV will see will be snow at Mammoth or Tahoe :D I wouldn't want to bend the 24s I want:

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
The only views of Touregs I get are the rear bumper comin' up fast, then the drivers side goes by, then it's just a grill in the review mirror :D
The Armadas will probably already been and gone from Pizmo by the time those rattle traps show up.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
armoody said:
The only views of Touregs I get are the rear bumper comin' up fast, then the drivers side goes by, then it's just a grill in the review mirror :D
The Armadas will probably already been and gone from Pizmo by the time those rattle traps show up.
Actually, I saw very few Armadas at Pizmo. I did see a few Titans with their toys in the truck bed, but that's it. We tore it up a bit on the North side of the beach, but got busted, so we bounced. It was pretty fun! The "real" off-roading up near Lopez Lake was pretty dope. I don't even thing the Armada would have fit in those narrow paths we took up to Big Falls. I've never been off-roading before, and that was super fun. I just can't believe the beating people do on their rides! Driving cars dumped on the ground my whole life, gunning it through a 50 ft. water crossing was definitely a new experience for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts