Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Folks
I just got my ARMADA 2020 from Enterprise in june to tow my CASITA 2023 (due Jan2023) . I AM CLUELESS- what size ball hitch do iI get and where do get it? Who can get it ready to tow ? The Nissan dealer? And do a need a special brake system and sway bar???? why?
oh help! I am a photographer and this going to be a steep learning curve!

Thanks

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hi Sueki, Your Camper dealership should be able to help get you most of the way setup. They will be able to tell you what size tow ball your new camper will use. They could also likely get you setup with a brake controller, as well as a weight distribution hitch and sway bar. Not all of those things are needed, but it sounds like you are new to towing and so those things will all make towing easier and safer for you.

From a quick google the casita 2023 looks like a fairly small camper. So, it will likely take a 2" ball. You probably won't need a weight distribution hitch, but a sway bar does make a big difference. (It is basically two pieces of metal bar, with some friction material in-between them and a crank to adjust how much friction is applied to the bars. That friction keeps the trailer from swaying as much behind the truck in crosswinds or when passing tractor trailer trucks.) A brake controller is a definite need. (A brake controller is a small box that is typically mounted under the dash, but within reach of the driver. It allows you to adjust how much electrical current is sent to the brakes on the trailer (most trailers use electric brakes instead of hydraulic brakes like a car) A good brake controller like the tekonsha p3, or redarc tow pro shouldn't ever need to be touched once you get it set how you like.)

You could also talk with the support people over at etrailer.com if you tell them what vehicle you have and what camper you are getting they should be able to help you match all the towing equipment you need, and then you could have a local mechanic or trailer dealer install it all for you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts