Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang...

Many of you may (or may not!) remember me...but anyways...I previously had a 06' Armada SE, but had to sell due to my job (US Air Force) sending me Overseas (Korea)...well, my next assignment is Germany and I'm contemplating buying a 10' Platinum (Smoke) and having it shipped over there for my 2 or 3 year tour.

What do you all think? Bad idea? I know there will be times when it's too big for where I need to take it...but I figure I can just park a ways out and then walk wherever I need to go :)

I really want the Armada. I have tried talking myself into buying a 2010 Pathfinder or a 2010 Xterra...or possibly even a new Maxima...but my eye keeps coming back to the Armada. I'm on leave right now in Guam for the next week and I checked a 2010 Blizzard Platinum today here at the dealer and I fell in love. I just loved the damn thing! I really love the current design and I don't want any part of a 2011' refresh if there will indeed be one. I like it the way it is and want one in my driveway, no matter what country I am living in.

So, try and talk me out of it if you can :)

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
i wouldnt want a gas guzzler like that over there where gas is sky high

·
SHIFT_Moderator
12,993 Posts
From what I'm finding, it looks like civillian stations cost about $5.57-ish/gallon and AAFES is selling it for closer to $3.14 - $4.32-ish/gallon. So if you're able to always fillup on base, it might not be that bad, other than parking. Of course traffic there might be congested enough that you might be burning while stopped alot depending on where you're at.

http://www.stripes.com/article.asp?section=104&article=59746

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=gas+prices+germany+2009&aq=0&oq=gas+prices+germany&aqi=g1

·
SHIFT_Moderator
13,204 Posts
Gas is subsidized by Exxon to the Armed Forces in Germany so the cost isn't too bad. However, it is rationed. Purchasing fuel on the economy can be done with gas coupons, again susidized.

Depending on where you are being stationed, the Armada can be an asset or a curse.

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
no way! the armada is governed at 108 mph. if i was gonna be in germany i'd go for smoething i could let fly on the autobahn. if you want to stick with nissan/infiniti, maybe a g37 s sedan? all joking aside, the armadas are killer, i've been looing for a '10 for a while now. i'd say go for it, you probably wont see many others!

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
In addition to the gas issue, many of the roads in europe are extreme small, real tight.. I probably wouldnt want to own a mada there.. (never been to germany but the other countries i've visited had real narrow & winding roads not conducive to owning a big truck)

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
I'm stationed over here in Germany with my Armada and it aint too bad. You are rationed on your fuel per month, i would suggest getting a beater depending on how far you live from base and much driving you plan on doing outside of work. It's not too bad other than all the salt they put on the ground. Oh yea, the sucky part is trying to work with the Nissan dealership(if you can find one) with any type of warranty issue.

My Armada is governed at 112mph:)

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
I won't try and talk you out of it 'cause I've never driven over in Europe. But I'd like to offer a suggestion. Don't leave the title and bill of sale inside of the car when you ship it! Customs in Germany probably won't let you go inside of the truck to retrieve the papers until they've cleared it. And you'll need these in order to clear the truck for entry. Carry them with you and save yourself a big headache.

I know it's probably common sense for most, but I'd imagine that you'd have a lot on your mind if you're trying to coordinate a move to another country.

Best of luck with that '10 if you get it!

- pep

·
Premium Member
3,261 Posts
I could toast a stock G35 now if I wanted to. - hehe :D
A stock G35 will run low 14's, high 13's in the quarter. You doing that? I'd be surprised, given your lift and replacement wheels, but I could be wrong:confused:

Keith

·
SHIFT_Moderator
12,993 Posts
A stock G35 will run low 14's, high 13's in the quarter. You doing that? I'd be surprised, given your lift and replacement wheels, but I could be wrong:confused:

Keith
1/4, what's that?? I'll roast them to the next city. - j/k :D Stock Wheels, just bigger tires, I'm guessing I could hit the 14's on these 33's. A Murano or Altima 3.5 can't keep up off the line, I leave them in the rear view mirror.

I'm just joking about the G35 though, I'd have to be pretty drunk and stupid to take it up fast enough to take this thing up and over a G's governed limit, and that's assuming the big tow gears would be good for a 120-mph run. I'd have to lower it and add some Z-rated tires with a good brake kit before I'd even attempt taking it on the autobahn.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How much will I be rationed on fuel in Germany? Anyone in the know?

While I'm here in Guam I have an Altima as my rental car...I hate driving it. I like trucks/SUV's...no getting around it.

That being said, a BMW M3 is my dream car...and I can get one of those (2011) in Germany (US specs) for ~$60K loaded....The Mada (2010) would be about $43-44k (Platinum/Loaded)...and both get about the same gas mileage :)

I'm really having a tough time deciding...I'm going through a pretty bitter divorce right now...and I'm wanting to treat myself. I think it's either going to be Xterra ($26k/$450 month x5), Armada ($44k/$800 month x5), or M3 ($60k/$950 month x6). Although I'm just a lowly E-6...I don't have any bills for the most part and I'm pretty responsible with my $$. So, I kinda feel like splurging and keeping whatever I buy for the next 10-15 years. Or do I just buy a beater/junker when I get to Germany and spend lots of $$ on beer :)

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
Go for an audi q7 tdi! better gas mileage, and she'll be right at home on the autobahn! LOL

Man, it's going to be tough to sway away from the Armada, She's a tough ride to not want.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I do like the Q7...but it's not manly enough for me at this point in my life...for me anyway...it does look good...but I prefer the Armada :) I'm just too much of a Nissan fanboy I guess...have owned pretty much nothing but Nissans' my whole life:

01 Pathfinder LE
03 Pathfinder LE
05 Xterra S
06 Armada SE

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
How much will I be rationed on fuel in Germany? Anyone in the know?

While I'm here in Guam I have an Altima as my rental car...I hate driving it. I like trucks/SUV's...no getting around it.

That being said, a BMW M3 is my dream car...and I can get one of those (2011) in Germany (US specs) for ~$60K loaded....The Mada (2010) would be about $43-44k (Platinum/Loaded)...and both get about the same gas mileage :)

I'm really having a tough time deciding...I'm going through a pretty bitter divorce right now...and I'm wanting to treat myself. I think it's either going to be Xterra ($26k/$450 month x5), Armada ($44k/$800 month x5), or M3 ($60k/$950 month x6). Although I'm just a lowly E-6...I don't have any bills for the most part and I'm pretty responsible with my $$. So, I kinda feel like splurging and keeping whatever I buy for the next 10-15 years. Or do I just buy a beater/junker when I get to Germany and spend lots of $$ on beer :)
life is too short.............GET A LFA!!!!! you don't have worry about speed limiter!:D

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
If youre going to spend $60K on a M3, go and get the Nissan GT-R, its only 80K. Those things are so smart,,the computer tells the car when its on a race track and turns off the limiter. Wonder what it would do in Germany? hmmmmm

Yea I know,,,the '10 Armada is hard to pass up.

·
Premium Member
2,734 Posts
Dude just get an ARMADA just the way you talk about it you make me want to get another one

·
SHIFT_Moderator
12,993 Posts
If youre going to spend $60K on a M3, go and get the Nissan GT-R, its only 80K. Those things are so smart,,the computer tells the car when its on a race track and turns off the limiter. Wonder what it would do in Germany? hmmmmm

Yea I know,,,the '10 Armada is hard to pass up.
I've been told that the Autobahn is programmed in as well.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts