Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

So my Armada has a broken sunglass holder in the overhead console. I called the dealer and they said I'd have to buy a whole new overhead console which is over $1000!!!

Basically, the sunglass holder "door" won't stay up. I have a piece of tape holding it up right now but that's ghetto and I want it fixed bad but I'm not buying a whole new overhead console.

Any aftermarket parts for this piece? Any ideas? Help please!:crikey::crikey::crikey:

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
just got off the phone with curtosy parts. They told me the same thing. There's no part I can buy. I'd have to buy the whole overhead console. They're only charging $850 but I ain't spending that much money just stow my sunglasses properly.

Anybody else have any ideas???

·
Premium Member
1,029 Posts
I've taken that part out several times and the only thing that makes it open/close is a coiled spring on the left side of the hinge.

In the open position, press the sides of the cover inwards and slightly turn the ends opposite ways and it'll pop right out.

Take the coiled spring and try to match it up at any local hardward stores.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
If you can't fix it, glue it shut.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Related fact- those of you with second row capitan's, don't break the plastic clip that secures the console to the deck. That also requires an entire new console. Yes, I have a new console, but warranty covered it.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've taken that part out several times and the only thing that makes it open/close is a coiled spring on the left side of the hinge.

In the open position, press the sides of the cover inwards and slightly turn the ends opposite ways and it'll pop right out.

Take the coiled spring and try to match it up at any local hardward stores.
Thanks for the advice PrimoV8. The truck is in the shop right now (not the dealers). I've emailed your suggestion to them to see if they can fix. They sold it to me like that not realizing it was a $1000 fix but told me they would fix it. Hopefully, they'll be able to knock it out. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Broken Overhead Console Repaired

Hello every one, I am a proud owner of a 2008 Nissan Armada. This truck is great, don't really have much to complain about with it. The one thing that I would change is the overhead console. I would probably make it stronger than what it is now, like many that I have read on here and the titan forums I to have experience my overhead console breaking. The price on getting these items replace from nissan is about 1100 - 1300 dollars which in any bodys mind is not justified. The reason why the price is so high is because Nissan wants to sell you the whole part not just the base (Which is crazy, I guess thats how they make there money:mad:). Anyway like many of you I just don't have that type of money to be spending on a overhead console that should only cost between 150 to 300 dollars. I decided to try to repair mine. The cost of repair is between 20-60 dollars (depending on if you have other supplies handy)
1. (1)Grinder (Walmart $20-30)
2. (2)JB Weld
3. (5)180 Grit Sand paper
4. (2) Quick Steel for Plastic
5. Patience
Follow the directions as close as possible and let dry completly between coats. Here are some pictures of mine.(This is three days into now)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,734 Posts
Nice job bro

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Update!

Hello every one, I am a proud owner of a 2008 Nissan Armada. This truck is great, don't really have much to complain about with it. The one thing that I would change is the overhead console. I would probably make it stronger than what it is now, like many that I have read on here and the titan forums I to have experience my overhead console breaking. The price on getting these items replace from nissan is about 1100 - 1300 dollars which in any bodys mind is not justified. The reason why the price is so high is because Nissan wants to sell you the whole part not just the base (Which is crazy, I guess thats how they make there money:mad:). Anyway like many of you I just don't have that type of money to be spending on a overhead console that should only cost between 150 to 300 dollars. I decided to try to repair mine. The cost of repair is between 20-60 dollars (depending on if you have other supplies handy)
1. (1)Grinder (Walmart $20-30)
2. (2)JB Weld
3. (5)180 Grit Sand paper
4. (2) Quick Steel for Plastic
5. Patience
Follow the directions as close as possible and let dry completly between coats. Here are some pictures of mine.(This is three days into now)
Here are some updated pictures of the fixed overhead console. I forgot to mention that I had to paint it which will run you about 20-25 dollars. The paint that I used that closely match the interior was Dupont vinyl color code:ZGA color:CYPRESS Car:FORD could not find one for the armada itself. You can find this at CarQuest, they can also mix it for you if need be. This project took about four days for me (mainly because I work during the day). I would say that this is an easy job that anyone can do. I hope this help. Thanks for the positive feed back.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
jrm5f2,

I plan on fixing mine, clips broke, and would like to know on what the JB Weld & the Quick Steel for Plastic was used on. This is will be 1st undertaking of such degree on my vehicle and would want to make sure on what to use these items.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
jrm5f2,

I plan on fixing mine, clips broke, and would like to know on what the JB Weld & the Quick Steel for Plastic was used on. This is will be 1st undertaking of such degree on my vehicle and would want to make sure on what to use these items.

Thanks.
Hello jcb718,
Sorry to hear about console breaking. The JB Weld is use in conjunction with the quick steel. I used the JB weld on parts that I could not use the quick steel on. The JB weld comes in two pieces, Epoxy and a hardener; you will mix equal amounts until it becomes somewhat resistant (you will know when you mix it). I use this for hard to reach areas such as cracks that I found in the plastic. You can pretty apply this with a butter knife or any other flat surface item. The Quick Steel was mostly used to fill in holes that were created from the overhead breaking and hanging from the top of my roof. The Quick Steel requires that you roll it in your head until it becomes very warm, after that you have seconds to mold it into the shape that you needed to be in before it becomes hard. Both products can be sanded down and painted. By all means you don’t have to use both products; it just really depends on the condition of the overhead console you’re repairing. You can even use super glue on some parts and it actually works pretty well. Here are some more pictures on what I used the Quick Steel and the JB Weld on. My biggest advice to you is to have patience with this. Do that and you should be fine, if I can help with anything else please let me know. Good Luck

Post pictures after your done so we can see how well you did.

Picture one show what it looks like after I had to rebuild where the screw is at, this was in the front console. Before I rebuilt that, there was nothing there it was cracked and fell apart once I took the console down. This is where the Quick Steel came in handy. As you can see I was able to rebuild it, sand and paint it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
I have a similar problem. My sunglass holder has broken. It will not stay closed. It was stuck and my wife pulled on it, breaking a little piece of plastic off of it. The spring is fine, so that does not need to be addressed. If the picture does not come though, it is the front, overhead console (without the DVD unit). Just the sunglass holder, the lights and controls for the sunroof.

If anyone knows a part number or have an idea of how to fix it, I'm all ears.

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
Same problem. I just used a adhesive felt pad (like the one used for chair legs) on the inside of the housing where the sungless door meets the inside of housing - friction holds it in place. I have to pull it down but it works. Cheap and quick.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Well all, I am now in the same boat as some of you. I came out Monday morning to find my rear console sitting between the seats. I am going to try and fix it with JBweld based on jrm5f2's instructions if I can. I am however not sure to put the thing back based how and where I see the screws are. Looking at it, I am guessing, I only need to worry about the very back cause it looks like it just clips in. Am I correct? Does anyone have the instructions on how to put it back?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Another suggestion if you need / or want to replace is to get the part number from Nissan (service department). Then search on EBay for a replacement.

My rear door / hatch motor was dying. Nissan wanted $1,000+ for a new part. I bought a used part off of EBay for $120.00 and it's been working just fine ever since.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
My weekend project

OK, so I finally took a better look at it, and think I can put it back together. I now have it on the floor in my apt, and I am going to make this my weekend project. Bought the jbweld and quiksteel, so here is to hopefully saving myself a few hundred dollars. If it does not work, at least I can say I gave it a shot. Will post pics of it when done, and what it looks like back in my truck. Now what would be nice is if anyone has some ideas on what to use where in terms of jbweld vs the quiksteel. Oh, by the way, in case I forgot to mention, this is a 08 QX56.
Attached pics is the console sitting on the floor in my apt. Just amazing how ALL the supports break at ONCE. Hope they improved on it since the 08.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Job complete!! As I was putting it back in, I noticed a lot of play (bouncing) from the roof. I figured that would add to the vibration and bouncing of the counsel so I used a old socket I had and wedged it between the actual roof of the truck and roof that the console attaches to. You will see what I mean in one of the pics with the quiksteel around the socket. Then one of the wedge clamps broke, grr, so it left a slight gap. I used a self thread screw and screwed it to the roof. It all feels quite solid, so I should get some years out of it.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts