Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got stopped and given a fix-it ticket for not having front plates. my issue is i have billet grills, upper and lower!

as far as i can see, i will need to remove the lower grill to attach the license plate holder.

two questions:

1) any know of any CHP officers in the SoCal area that would be willing to sign off on my ticket? :D

2) is there an easy way of getting the licnese plate holder on w/o having to remove the lower grill, which could be a pain!

thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
That sucks! I too live in So. Cal. and don't have a front plate. I know a lot of other people who don't have a front plate and have never been stopped. Was it a city officer or CHP?

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Sup bro, I would zip tie the plate to your billet grill and go to either an officer or to the DMV to get it signed off. I've had to do this several times in my other cars.

One time with my GSX I went to the DMV and just wedged the plate between the inner front bumper lip and my front mount intercooler............rang the little bell they have....the guy came out, looked at it and signed my ticket. I took the plate right back off and threw it in my car. lol (I have only went to the DMV to get it signed off once though....the guy was mad and said please go to an officer next time if it happens again)

If you do the zip tie thing, just use thin black zip ties and leave the block part of it sticking out so you can cut it off real easy with some wire snippers. You may also want to put some electric tape on the back of your plate so it doesn't leave little scratch marks on your grill. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
LOONEY said:
That sucks! I too live in So. Cal. and don't have a front plate. I know a lot of other people who don't have a front plate and have never been stopped. Was it a city officer or CHP?
I got a no front plate ticket while parked at a park-n-ride here in SoCal. A buddy of mine got one parked in a public parking lot at the airport. I have heard that in the LA area, they are setting up checkpoints, and one thing they will stop you for is no plate on the front. I just bit the bullet and put the plates back on both of my cars.

Keith

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
I attached mine using drywall anchors, the kind that colapse on themselves as you tighten the bolt. 1/8" I think...then just cut the bolts down to about 1/2" and put a washer on it.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
I'd go with the wall anchors myself, if I lived in a state with a Dem majority that liked front plates. ;)

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PumaFiveOh said:
Sup bro, I would zip tie the plate to your billet grill and go to either an officer or to the DMV to get it signed off. I've had to do this several times in my other cars.

One time with my GSX I went to the DMV and just wedged the plate between the inner front bumper lip and my front mount intercooler............rang the little bell they have....the guy came out, looked at it and signed my ticket. I took the plate right back off and threw it in my car. lol (I have only went to the DMV to get it signed off once though....the guy was mad and said please go to an officer next time if it happens again)

If you do the zip tie thing, just use thin black zip ties and leave the block part of it sticking out so you can cut it off real easy with some wire snippers. You may also want to put some electric tape on the back of your plate so it doesn't leave little scratch marks on your grill. Good luck!
i never thought of going to the DMV. do most DMV's sign them off? from what i'm told from a LAPD officer, the only ppl that are allowed to sign off on them is CHP. can someone confirm or deny that?

i got the ticket by a LAPD outside the DUB show.......they were having a ticket fest, stopping everyone!

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
MacFly said:
i got the ticket by a LAPD outside the DUB show.......they were having a ticket fest, stopping everyone!
Go figure. :rolleyes:
Seriously, that's a jerky move, but not unanticipated.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
MacFly said:
i never thought of going to the DMV. do most DMV's sign them off? from what i'm told from a LAPD officer, the only ppl that are allowed to sign off on them is CHP. can someone confirm or deny that?

Sorry man, looks like they have changed it? When I took my car to the DMV it was several years back...and it said on the back of the ticket that I could take it to the DMV, Police Station or on duty patrol officer. This is what I found on the CA DMV website:

"Where do I get my ticket signed off?

To get your ticket (citation) signed off, ask:
A police officer for fix-it-tickets
DMV for license and registration violations
A Court Clerk for insurance, license, and registration violations (You must have the correct documentation.)"

You shouldn't worry about just asking a cop though, just attach it with zip-ties and get it signed off. After that just cut the zip ties and that's that. Or if you want it attached permanently do what the others have suggested.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Campfamily said:
I have heard that in the LA area, they are setting up checkpoints, and one thing they will stop you for is no plate on the front. I just bit the bullet and put the plates back on both of my cars.

Keith
thats exactly what the LAPD needs to focus on, vehicles with no front plates :rolleyes:

it sounds like Pumafiveoh has the solution to the problem. I know some guys that just stick it on their dash in the front window.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
I live in Socal, the easiest way to get it signed off is to go to your nearest police station. They'll just come out and look at it and sign it off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts