Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned a black car for about 8 years now and while I always keep it clean and swirl mark free, I've simply grown too tired with all the detailing which I do. I'm just too anal with my cars, so there's no way I'd let a black car develop swirls through half-ass/lazy washes.

I'm pretty much sold on the Armada and while I'd love to get Galaxy Black, I know it'll be an incredible chore to keep clean and swirl free, especially with winter use. So, I'm down to the following three choices (in order of preference):

1. Smoke (Charcoal)
2. Blizzard White
3. Silver

Now, my main concern is, to you who have Smoke, does it show swirl marks easily? I know with the Blizzard and the Silver, I could pretty much dry the truck with brillo pads and you wouldn't notice the swirls, but I'm more concerned with the darker Smoke paint. In a perfect world, I'd get black, but hopefully Smoke can provide a nice medium between "easier" maintenace and still retianing a darker exterior color.

Also, as a nice bonus, the roof racks and running boards match the Smoke paint the best, so there's no need to have them colored matched. With Blizzard or Silver, I'd definitely spring the extra cash to have them color coded at a bodyshop (in addition to the many other mods I've got planned :D ).

Thanks.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
654 Posts
I almost bought the black until I went to close the deal in the daytime and saw numerous swirl marks all over the hood and tailgate. I did not go ahead with it and instead waited and went with the silver. No marks showing ...I did go and claybar the entire truck and ensured a good clean looking paint job.

I did color match the running boards and rear spoiler. I was advised not to paint the front lower spoiler, due to paint chiping.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ockevin said:
I almost bought the black until I went to close the deal in the daytime and saw numerous swirl marks all over the hood and tailgate. I did not go ahead with it and instead waited and went with the silver. No marks showing ...I did go and claybar the entire truck and ensured a good clean looking paint job.

I did color match the running boards and rear spoiler. I was advised not to paint the front lower spoiler, due to paint chiping.
Thanks for the reply--your truck looks great, especially with the color coded boards and rear spoiler (a must do in my book).

If I decide to paint the front, I would definitely put a 3M clear bra over the entire front bumper to protect it from chipping. Have you considered that?

Also, do mind sharing how much it cost you to color code the running boards and roof rails? Was it a complicated process?

Thanks!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
72 Posts
I have a Smoke colored one and it's great. No swirl marks. Actually looks very clean most of the time. I too have had black cars and went throught the same thing you're going through in picking a color. I liked the white one, but it was too white for my taste--I like the more pearl, off-white color on the escalade. Silver is nice, but I already have a silver E46 M3, and was trading in a silver ML350. Too much silver out there. Smoke was the best of both worlds: I got a nice dark color, which looks great, but also not too dark as to show swirl marks.

Good luck.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hecdog said:
I have a Smoke colored one and it's great. No swirl marks. Actually looks very clean most of the time. I too have had black cars and went throught the same thing you're going through in picking a color. I liked the white one, but it was too white for my taste--I like the more pearl, off-white color on the escalade. Silver is nice, but I already have a silver E46 M3, and was trading in a silver ML350. Too much silver out there. Smoke was the best of both worlds: I got a nice dark color, which looks great, but also not too dark as to show swirl marks.

Good luck.
Great, thanks for the info. Are you a fellow Bimmer enthusiast? Only an enthusiast would mention the "E46." :p I've got an E36 328 and an M3. Here's a pic of one of them:

 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,590 Posts
My 04 was Smoke, and I was very happy with it. Easy to keep clean, no swirls. When we were shopping for our 06, we came across one in Red Brawn and loved it. In some ways I wish we had stayed with Smoke, but the truck really does look good in Red.

Keith
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Campfamily said:
My 04 was Smoke, and I was very happy with it. Easy to keep clean, no swirls. When we were shopping for our 06, we came across one in Red Brawn and loved it. In some ways I wish we had stayed with Smoke, but the truck really does look good in Red.

Keith

Nice to hear good things about the Smoke color.

Got any pics of the Armada with the QX56 wheels? Any particular reason why you got ride of the '04 Smoke?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16 Posts
I had the same issues with my Super Black 02 Pathfinder LE. I love the black color in a car, but it was so much work to keep clean...especially with the winters here in the Northeast.

For this reason I got my 05 Armarda LE in Smoke and I have to say it has worked out better than I could have imagined. I love the color. I'm a little jealous about the 06 models coming in the new Majestic Blue color as I always liked the dark blue. I'd be curious to see how that stands up to the dirt/road film.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,590 Posts
jubu said:
Nice to hear good things about the Smoke color.

Got any pics of the Armada with the QX56 wheels? Any particular reason why you got ride of the '04 Smoke?
Nissan bought my 04 back, because of problems with the brakes. My 06 replaced it.

Keith
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16 Posts
Colour

Jubu:

I went throught the same challenge. Didn't want the black, but IMHO there are now too many silvers out there, and I'm not sure it does the Armada justice.

This is what made my wife and I go for the 2006 in Pewter ... very happy with the colour.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,408 Posts
well, since you have made up your mind not to have black, definetly no one can change it for you, but you are right black is a lot of work but at the end, its a head turner and its worth it. to me at least :cool:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,491 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
654 Posts
Jubu,

I got the running boards painted for $300. It required the body shop to remove the parts, sand them down and reinstall. The black pads had to be carefully removed before painting as well. The body shop said not to paint parts were you actually step, to much flex for the paint.

I have not thought about the 3m clear bra. I have to look into that.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
72 Posts
jubu said:
Great, thanks for the info. Are you a fellow Bimmer enthusiast? Only an enthusiast would mention the "E46." :p I've got an E36 328 and an M3. Here's a pic of one of them:

Sweet, I like those wheels. Yeah, I'm an enthusiast. Mine's got the SMG2 transmission and Imola red interior. Fully Loaded. I'm on m3forum with the same user name. Here's a pic:
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
74 Posts
jubu said:
I've owned a black car for about 8 years now and while I always keep it clean and swirl mark free, I've simply grown too tired with all the detailing which I do. I'm just too anal with my cars, so there's no way I'd let a black car develop swirls through half-ass/lazy washes.

I'm pretty much sold on the Armada and while I'd love to get Galaxy Black, I know it'll be an incredible chore to keep clean and swirl free, especially with winter use. So, I'm down to the following three choices (in order of preference):

1. Smoke (Charcoal)
2. Blizzard White
3. Silver

Now, my main concern is, to you who have Smoke, does it show swirl marks easily? I know with the Blizzard and the Silver, I could pretty much dry the truck with brillo pads and you wouldn't notice the swirls, but I'm more concerned with the darker Smoke paint. In a perfect world, I'd get black, but hopefully Smoke can provide a nice medium between "easier" maintenace and still retianing a darker exterior color.

Also, as a nice bonus, the roof racks and running boards match the Smoke paint the best, so there's no need to have them colored matched. With Blizzard or Silver, I'd definitely spring the extra cash to have them color coded at a bodyshop (in addition to the many other mods I've got planned :D ).

Thanks.
I recently had the same dilema. I was torn between silver, black and charcoal. Prior, I had the charcoal 05 Pathfinder and loved it but loved the way the Black Armadas stood. Decided to go w/ smoke.

If youre anal about your paint (scratches/swirl marks/clumps of wax) and keeping it clean, go w/ the smoke. Even when the mada is dirty, I cant really tell unless I happed to lean on the car and stick to it. I just know its time to wash the truck when the rims are powder coated black from all the brake dust :rolleyes: . Never had a silver or white car so I cant give you any feedback on that, sorry.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48 Posts
can someone point me the the direction to the 3m clear bras. Thanks!

I have an 03 white suburban. I love the color. However, when I purchase the armada, my new favorite color is the deepwater blue.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mary said:
can someone point me the the direction to the 3m clear bras. Thanks!

I have an 03 white suburban. I love the color. However, when I purchase the armada, my new favorite color is the deepwater blue.
Mary, here's a link with some info:
http://www.invisiblemask.com/site.html

However, I'd suggest that you visit your local detail shop, as they'd probably offer it for installation and let you see it first hand. A quality install will make it seem like it isn't even there, which is real nice.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top