Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! We bought our Armada because of the high tow capacity but we are struggling! We get so much sag with our trailer hooked up and when we go up our local mountain our transmission temps and engine temps go way up. We always have to pull over. I don’t think we have the distribution hitch correct (because of the sag)

trailer is a 2016 heartland mallard m32

hitch is a haul master 10,000 lb hitch

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
It sounds like you have the air suspension in the back that is leaking/not inflating/generally not working as intended. Could be a leaking shock, hose, connectiion, etc. Or a leaking seal on the pump. Or a malfunctioning pump. Or a malfunctioning leveling switch.

Many have removed the air suspension entirely, search on here for a wealth of knowledge on the Moog spring/Bilstein shock replacement.

As for the transmission temps, I've got nothing outside fluid quality or cooler inadquacy. There are likely other, less simple, causes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It sounds like you have the air suspension in the back that is leaking/not inflating/generally not working as intended. Could be a leaking shock, hose, connectiion, etc. Or a leaking seal on the pump. Or a malfunctioning pump. Or a malfunctioning leveling switch.

Many have removed the air suspension entirely, search on here for a wealth of knowledge on the Moog spring/Bilstein shock replacement.

As for the transmission temps, I've got nothing outside fluid quality or cooler inadquacy. There are likely other, less simple, causes.
[/QUOT

Thankfully the transmission has never over heated, it just gets way to close to the line for comfort.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Many have removed the air suspension entirely, search on here for
my husband doesn’t seem to think we have an air suspension

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you are squatting without a busted air suspension, you likely either exceded the tongue weight by not loading the trailer correctly and/or have worn out springs.
I’m not sure if I’m even replying to these correctly

thank you for your help. I’m looking in my manual to see anything about air suspension but am not seeing anything. I’m hoping the issue is that we’re not using the stabilizer hitch correctly. Should we add helper bags?

·
Premium Member
2012 Nissan Armada SL
428 Posts
I recommend these:

For towing these guys have a really good setup calculation spreadsheet:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The mechanic said the air suspension needs repaired. I’m leaning towards doing a conversion and adding timbrens or something similar. But I’m not sure which conversion kit to use so my tow capacity isn’t effected.

While they never hurt, I would make sure I knew WHY it was sagging first.

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
See here for parts list:
Good write up

Add the Firestone bags above as needed.

???

Profit.
Hi everyone! We bought our Armada because of the high tow capacity but we are struggling! We get so much sag with our trailer hooked up and when we go up our local mountain our transmission temps and engine temps go way up. We always have to pull over. I don’t think we have the distribution hitch correct (because of the sag)

trailer is a 2016 heartland mallard m32

hitch is a haul master 10,000 lb hitch
Trans temp: make sure to use "TOW" mode and 4 gear, Ours went to the high end in 5"D"

·
Registered
78 Posts
There are also aftermarket transmission coolers you could check out. After my "black coffee' experience I tell everyone to check that trans fluid - make sure it's nice and clean. I've read write ups here about Armadas pulling ten thousand pounds - with the right setup of springs, shocks, bags, and trans coolers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts