Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a newbie and have questions and need advice about towing a travel trailer.
My wife and I have owned three motorhomes and decided to give a try RVing with a trailer. Last week we bought a used 2020 Armada SV 4WD with the Premium Package and need to get it set up for towing. (We really like the Armada in spite of the low MPG.) We are planning to purchase a 24’ camper with a max loaded weight of 6,000 pounds. I know the length, trailer GVW, tongue weight, loaded weight in the Armada, and gross combined weight with the Armada are all well within limits. So here are my questions:
1. Do I need to change the hitch on the Armada? I can’t really tell what kind it is.
2. What is the best (and reasonably priced) WD hitch with no sway bars (that can back up)? It looks like Equal-i-zer and Anderson are most popular.
3. The WD hitch simply connects to the receiver on the Armada or do I have to change out the receiver? (Sorry for that dumb question.)
4. What is the best electric brake controller that can plug and play with the Armada? The Tekonsha P2 appears very popular.
5. Is it advisable to install a transmission fluid cooler?
6. Is it advisable to add airbags in the rear suspension coils?
7. Do I keep the cold tire pressure at the normal level?
5. Has anyone installed the Nissan dealer-installed trailering mirrors or what addons would work best?
Thank you all for your expert advice!

·
Registered
219 Posts
I am a newbie and have questions and need advice about towing a travel trailer.
My wife and I have owned three motorhomes and decided to give a try RVing with a trailer. Last week we bought a used 2020 Armada SV 4WD with the Premium Package and need to get it set up for towing. (We really like the Armada in spite of the low MPG.) We are planning to purchase a 24’ camper with a max loaded weight of 6,000 pounds. I know the length, trailer GVW, tongue weight, loaded weight in the Armada, and gross combined weight with the Armada are all well within limits. So here are my questions:
1. Do I need to change the hitch on the Armada? I can’t really tell what kind it is.
2. What is the best (and reasonably priced) WD hitch with no sway bars (that can back up)? It looks like Equal-i-zer and Anderson are most popular.
3. The WD hitch simply connects to the receiver on the Armada or do I have to change out the receiver? (Sorry for that dumb question.)
4. What is the best electric brake controller that can plug and play with the Armada? The Tekonsha P2 appears very popular.
5. Has anyone installed the Nissan dealer-installed trailering mirrors or what addons would work best?
Thank you all for your expert advice!
2018 SV here:

Factory hitch is all you need. Integrated and hidden. Very beefy.

I have an equalizer. Have used it on my Tundra and now my Armada. 2 different campers as well. Can't say enough good things about the equalizer WDH.

The WDH slips right into the Armada hitch and you throw your hitch pin of choice in.

I've also have a Tekonsha P2 on my Tundra and now Armada. Again, the only 1 I'm personally going with.

I have never felt the need for a tranny cooler on my Tundra or the Armada.

I do have Coil-rite bags in the rear. Very easy install and they add a good amount of stability. I would buy them again.

Tire PSI is going to be based on load rating and tongue weight. I run my Load index 116 tires at 50 rear and 44 front when towing. I run 44 front and 42 rear unloaded.

I never found a tow mirror that I was happy with for the Armada. I run a camera on the back of my camper. It has a 7" screen on a windshield mount. It gives me more piece of mind than any tow mirrors I've ran on any vehicle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2018 SV here:

Factory hitch is all you need. Integrated and hidden. Very beefy.

I have an equalizer. Have used it on my Tundra and now my Armada. 2 different campers as well. Can't say enough good things about the equalizer WDH.

The WDH slips right into the Armada hitch and you throw your hitch pin of choice in.

I've also have a Tekonsha P2 on my Tundra and now Armada. Again, the only 1 I'm personally going with.

I have never felt the need for a tranny cooler on my Tundra or the Armada.

I do have Coil-rite bags in the rear. Very easy install and they add a good amount of stability. I would buy them again.

Tire PSI is going to be based on load rating and tongue weight. I run my Load index 116 tires at 50 rear and 44 front when towing. I run 44 front and 42 rear unloaded.

I never found a tow mirror that I was happy with for the Armada. I run a camera on the back of my camper. It has a 7" screen on a windshield mount. It gives me more piece of mind than any tow mirrors I've ran on any vehicle.
THANK YOU! Your comments are very helpful.

·
Registered
12 Posts
2019 Platinum. My trailer is 5,500lbs empty. I use a EAZ Lift Recurve R6, very happy with it.

Brake controller Tekonsha Primus IQ very simple and easy to use.

Mirror Fit system 3891 Deluxe Universal Clip-on. Not great but not bad either. They work.

The Armada pulls like charm.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I don't have your generation, but I do have over 30K miles towing under my belt. So here are my takeaways for the points I can comment on:

2. What is the best (and reasonably priced) WD hitch with no sway bars (that can back up)? It looks like Equal-i-zer and Anderson are most popular
. - I'm not sure, but after towing many thousands of miles with a sway bar and without, I won't towing anything bigger than a single axle trailer without a sway bar...It makes a huge difference, and is easy to disconnect when you need to backup.

I've used the Tekonsha p3 and it is a very good controller, I haven't used it but from my research would say that the RedArc Tow Pro Elite is the best on the market at the moment, and it has a much smaller profile in the cab.

Absolutely...Heat kills transmissions, and towing creates a lot of heat. Some may depend on where you are going. If you live in Kansas, and are never going to see more than a 1% grade, no you probably don't need one. I've put large transmission coolers on every vehicles I have towed with, and going over the Rockies still had trans temps hitting trans killing temperatures.

Yes, They make a huge difference in keeping the truck level.

I always push my rear tires to the max PSI on the sidewall when towing, and typically push my front tires up a few PSI as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great advice. Thank you. I really appreciate forum members taking time to help this humble newbie!

·
Registered
2 Posts
For a WD Hitch I like the Blue Ox. Very little noise and works great for sway control. I have the CURT Spectrum Electric Brake Control. I like the small dial foot print and it works good. Heat does kill. Get a transmission cooler. Not that expensive nor that hard to put on. Look at it this way.....it will not hurt!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Every 2nd gen Armada should have a factory transmission cooler. Stacking another aftermarket inline with that one will cause tranny temps to be too low, which can also hurt a transmission.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For a WD Hitch I like the Blue Ox. Very little noise and works great for sway control. I have the CURT Spectrum Electric Brake Control. I like the small dial foot print and it works good. Heat does kill. Get a transmission cooler. Not that expensive nor that hard to put on. Look at it this way.....it will not hurt!
Thank you! I really appreciate the advice.

Every 2nd gen Armada should have a factory transmission cooler. Stacking another aftermarket inline with that one will cause tranny temps to be too low, which can also hurt a transmission.
That is news to me. Good to know! Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts