Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I went to watch firework last night in FL and ended up sitting I bumper to bumper traffic at 10:30pm with 84* external temps. After sitting for about 30 minutes I glanced down and notice my tranny temp gauge was sitting at the small dash line before getting into HOT territory.

I immediately shifted in to neutral and allowed my truck to coast whenever able. This immediately dropped my temps down. After a while I left it in gear and saw it creep up again.

The external electric fan in front of the radiator turns, I didn’t notice the big clutch fan running, but it does run. I heard it this morning. Once I got above 10mph average and above my tranny temp stayed around vertical.

This is my first armada with a tranny temp gauge. I’ve heard that they can some fluctuate before pumps kick in, but as this is my first time at the brink of HOT with out towing a load and with extreme temps i want to ensure i am not running into a problem.

Engine temps stayed normal. AC was blowing cold the whole time.

Should I be worried about this? Does it sound normal and did I just happen to glance down right before something would have kicked in to lower those temps?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,470 Posts
My first guess would be low fluid. How many miles on your truck? When was the last time you've had the trans serviced? When was the last time you checked the trans fluid?

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I personally have not changed it. I bought the truck (it’s a 2012) a few months ago and I guess I assumed a fluid change would have been part of the reselling process if needed (I am probably wrong about that now that I read my own words).

I’ll go out and check the levels and smell and color soon once I get ahold of a socket to remove the dipstick.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
I personally have not changed it. I bought the truck (it’s a 2012) a few months ago and I guess I assumed a fluid change would have been part of the reselling process if needed (I am probably wrong about that now that I read my own words).
I'd be really surprised if it was serviced before you got it by the dealer unless possibly it was a "Certified Pre-Owned". They can get several extra hundred dollars if they have you pay for the servicing of fluids. When I bought our 2008 2 years ago, I had a local Nissan dealership (not the one I bought it from) change the 4 main fluids (oil, antifreeze, transmission, and power steering) for what I think was $300ish, but I honestly don't remember and I'm too lazy to look it up. I should've had them do the brake fluid as well, since they are a little squishy (now I'm just lazy and still haven't done it).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts