Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

UPDATED: See post #26 for pictures

Hi All,

I recently upgraded to an HID conversion kit inside a set of Halo projectors and was really unhappy with the results. I really wanted to upgrade to HID and the only way to really get the results is to do a full retrofit with HID projectors and d2s bulbs.

I took apart the Halo projector headlamp and removed the halogen projector. the halogen projector had a lens diameter of 2.5", so the only HID projector that's widely available are the E46s ( typically found in BMW and Audi TT ).

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
That looks awsome! Hope it turns out the way you want it to.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
pdiddy said:
Hi All,

I recently upgraded to an HID conversion kit inside a set of Halo projectors and was really unhappy with the results. I really wanted to upgrade to HID and the only way to really get the results is to do a full retrofit with HID projectors and d2s bulbs.

I took apart the Halo projector headlamp and removed the halogen projector. the halogen projector had a lens diameter of 2.5", so the only HID projector that's widely available are the E46s ( typically found in BMW and Audi TT ). Below are some pics of my progress. I will post some cutoff pictures when my bulbs arrive. BTW, I'm pairing my HIDs with yellow fog lamps to add visibility during wet conditions.

Halo headlamp:

Halogen projector:

Bosch e46 HID projectors:

Custom mount:

With chrome trim:
please keep us posted i really wanted to see the results. i was going to do the q45 hid projector retrofit on my oem mada headlight. but dont want to fork out the cash if it isnt goin to do any real justice. please post some cutoff lines. if ur successful i will be the next to follow with that upgrade. my local installer said he will charge me $250.00 as long as i supply the parts. BTW u made my day with this post :D

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
flip4prez said:
please keep us posted i really wanted to see the results. i was going to do the q45 hid projector retrofit on my oem mada headlight. but dont want to fork out the cash if it isnt goin to do any real justic. please post some cutoff lines. if ur successful i will be the next to follow with that upgrade. my local installer said he will charge me $250.00 as long as i supply the parts. BTW u made my day with this post :D
Glad to make your day. I've been obsessing about my retrofit for the past 2 weeks. The worst part of the retrofit is waiting for my parts to show up. I just need by bulbs and I'll be hooking it up to the beast. In the meantime, I'm custom creating a wiring harness to handle the load from the ballast.

If you're going to retrofit your OEM headlamp, I'd go with the TSX or S2000 projectors. These are the best projectors that produce super sharp cutoff and nice color patterns. I didn't go this route because these projectors are huge; 3-4 inches needed to mount them. $250 is not bad...if they aim and seal them properly. If you need advice, let me know.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
=pdiddy]Glad to make your day. I've been obsessing about my retrofit for the past 2 weeks. The worst part of the retrofit is waiting for my parts to show up. I just need by bulbs and I'll be hooking it up to the beast. In the meantime, I'm custom creating a wiring harness to handle the load from the ballast.

If you're going to retrofit your OEM headlamp, I'd go with the TSX or S2000 projectors. These are the best projectors that produce super sharp cutoff and nice color patterns. I didn't go this route because these projectors are huge; 3-4 inches needed to mount them. $250 is not bad...if they aim and seal them properly. If you need advice, let me know.
yeah i know those projectors are better then the q45 ones but i like the gatling gun effect it has at night, it will look good on the mada. i put a beam comparison guide link below so our fellow mada members can checkout the different beam patterns and understand what we are talking about :D.the q45 one is near the bottom of the page and the e46 bmw ones you got is on the top almost middle of the page.

http://www.hidretro.com/page20.htm
http://www.hidretro.com/faq.htm

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
here is some examples of the q45 projector in other vehicles. i cant wait to one day put those bad boys in the mada.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Keep us posted Diddy :)

I lovee the Q45 headlights. Very Unique looking.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now that i'm in "full-blown" retrofitting mode, I'm starting to rethink my decision on the e46. I'm thinking of hacking the projector opening to accomodate a 3" lens diameter, thus making it possible to fit a TSX projector.

Meanwhile, I'm gonna test out the e46 first and then contemplate on the TSX. My bulbs come in today!

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
pdiddy said:
Now that i'm in "full-blown" retrofitting mode, I'm starting to rethink my decision on the e46. I'm thinking of hacking the projector opening to accomodate a 3" lens diameter, thus making it possible to fit a TSX projector.

Meanwhile, I'm gonna test out the e46 first and then contemplate on the TSX. My bulbs come in today!
pleas let us know how the e46 does. looking at the different beam patterns the tsx one is a very good projector.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Here are some pics of the completed right headlamp. Please excuse my garage :D I should be done with the left headlamp tonight and it'll be on the Armada by this weekend.

cutoff with ECE shield vs. halogen projector with unknown shield ( prob DOT )

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
pdiddy said:
Here are some pics of the completed right headlamp. Please excuse my garage :D I should be done with the left headlamp tonight and it'll be on the Armada by this weekend.

cutoff with ECE shield:
that is a awsome shot, the cut off is very sharp. great job:)

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
06armadaSE4x2 said:
awesome mod. how much did everything run you? lot of work to set up the HID portion?
If you're going to partake in this mod, buy yourself a dremel...it's godsend.

The HID is easy to setup. Not much to it except for finding a spot to mount the ballasts. The toughest part is aiming the lenses.

Retrofitting is addictive. I'm in the process of finding parts to retro my corolla. =)

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
WOW! Amazing job! I say make a couple more of these and sell them to ppl here;) hehe

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.