Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

HID retrofit

28K views 89 replies 32 participants last post by  68stinger 
#1 · (Edited)

UPDATED: See post #26 for pictures

Hi All,

I recently upgraded to an HID conversion kit inside a set of Halo projectors and was really unhappy with the results. I really wanted to upgrade to HID and the only way to really get the results is to do a full retrofit with HID projectors and d2s bulbs.

I took apart the Halo projector headlamp and removed the halogen projector. the halogen projector had a lens diameter of 2.5", so the only HID projector that's widely available are the E46s ( typically found in BMW and Audi TT ).

#35 ·
hey pdiddy, i came here form CT. Saw your post on CT and left you a pm over there, please check it out.

anyway, i am wondering why you didnt go with the tsx or s2ks? you mentioned them being huge but the diameter of the tsx and s2ks are smaller than the e46s? are you refering to the length?

and are you willing to send me pics of the retrofit, for some reason i cant seem to upload them.

thanks
franc

#36 ·
juicy.fn said:
hey pdiddy, i came here form CT. Saw your post on CT and left you a pm over there, please check it out.

anyway, i am wondering why you didnt go with the tsx or s2ks? you mentioned them being huge but the diameter of the tsx and s2ks are smaller than the e46s? are you refering to the length?

and are you willing to send me pics of the retrofit, for some reason i cant seem to upload them.

thanks
franc
Welcome to CA!

#37 ·
juicy.fn said:

thanks
franc
Franc, I sent you a PM on CT. Please see post #26 of this thread for pics.

#40 ·
eXcelon said:
man those are sweet. people coming towards you dont flash your high beams at you ?
Not at all.

I just want to remind people that these are still illegal even though they're retrofitted with real HID components. HIDs in a non OEM HID approved housing is illegal. This mod is about convincing people that the MADA came with HID from the factory. With that said, there is a sheriff station near my house and I've driven towards and behind the cops...they think they're stock. As long as cops are convinced, I'm convinced...

#41 ·
pdiddy said:
Not at all.

I just want to remind people that these are still illegal even though they're retrofitted with real HID components. HIDs in a non OEM HID approved housing is illegal. This mod is about convincing people that the MADA came with HID from the factory. With that said, there is a sheriff station near my house and I've driven towards and behind the cops...they think they're stock. As long as cops are convinced, I'm convinced...
NOW you tell me they're illegal! :eek:

i'm kidding! i had a few cops come towards me w/o any problems.

i'm certainly convinced!

#42 ·
pdiddy said:
Not at all.

I am going to have to agree with pdiddy here. Yes they are illegal, even the plug n plays are illegal. However, since you are using OEM HID components, it is a lot harder to tell if they are retrofitted. Now for the plug n plays (which I DO NOT recommend to anyone) it is easier to tell becasue they have hot spots and can blind on coming traffic.

Hey pdiddy, thanks again for the pictures. Ran into some issues (3 week old Titan with a broken windshield :( ) so the retrofit will probably be put on hold. Ill let you know when I start thinking about it again.

#43 ·
juicy.fn said:
I am going to have to agree with pdiddy here. Yes they are illegal, even the plug n plays are illegal. However, since you are using OEM HID components, it is a lot harder to tell if they are retrofitted. Now for the plug n plays (which I DO NOT recommend to anyone) it is easier to tell becasue they have hot spots and can blind on coming traffic.
For people that don't know, a hot spot is a concentrated beam of light in a certain area. The distribution of light is not even. PnP kits inside halogen intended reflectors usually produce hot spots above the "cutoff" line. Unfortunately, people with these kits will blind the living daylight of oncoming traffic.

juicy.fn said:
Hey pdiddy, thanks again for the pictures. Ran into some issues (3 week old Titan with a broken windshield :( ) so the retrofit will probably be put on hold. Ill let you know when I start thinking about it again.
My sister bought an 06 tacoma and 2 days later, she misjudged a turn and clipped another car. Anyways, handle your business and keep me posted.

#44 ·
halo hid retrofit

Hey there P!
I too just bought the dual halo headlights and am disappointed with the lighting (although I love the halos and the leds). I was just about to get a hid conversion kit when I read your post. Could you forward some detailed info as to what I have to do to have a full conversion like yours? I would really appreciate any help could provide. I see in the picture that your conversion is exactly what I am looking for. It looks fantastic! Thank you in advance, Earl J

#45 ·
earldjjones said:
Hey there P!
I too just bought the dual halo headlights and am disappointed with the lighting (although I love the halos and the leds). I was just about to get a hid conversion kit when I read your post. Could you forward some detailed info as to what I have to do to have a full conversion like yours? I would really appreciate any help could provide. I see in the picture that your conversion is exactly what I am looking for. It looks fantastic! Thank you in advance, Earl J
Thanks for the compliments. I've provided the parts list early in this thread. As far as the retro itself, I'll leave that to your creativity. :D The toughest part is having the confidence to crack open the headlights. Once you're there, you'll be surprise how amazing our brains work in trying to solve puzzles.

#46 ·
pdiddy said:
My sister bought an 06 tacoma and 2 days later, she misjudged a turn and clipped another car. Anyways, handle your business and keep me posted.
Yikes! Yeah mine was a tiny rock chip by the A pillar (by the seal) and over time, the windshield just cracked due to cold weather here in seattle.

Warranty doesnt cover it since it was a rock chip and my deductable is $500.

Goodluck with your sister.

#48 ·
jlalibe said:
Pdiddy- How did you disassemble the housings? :confused: Heatgun? Patience? I am doing a conversion of my own with E46s but I don't want to destroy these housings trying to get them apart.
Well I'm not pdiddy, but I have done this. You have to bake them... I know sounds scary but your actually just heating the glue that keeps it together. Since these are aftermarket headlamps, the glue is not as strong. What I did was, pre-heat the oven to 260 dgrees, then I put the headlights in the oven (bottom rack) for three minutes. Then took it out and pryed the lens apart from housing with my hands, it was very easy. Be careful it will be hot. And be careful not to leave in too long, it could melt, keep checking on it.

When your ready to put back together, re-heat the housing with the glue on it again.

#49 ·
Pdiddy told me he used a heat gun. I did the same thing and it does work. Here are his comments to me:

To remove the housing:

1. Remove 4 screws
2. Set heat gun temp to 750deg
3. Place the housing with the clear plastic part facing down
4. Keep the gun about 2 inches away from the target
5. Apply heat along the perimeter of the seams for 5 minutes. Make sure you don’t stop, just keep going in a circle around the perimeter. Wear gloves because it’ll get hot.
6. After that, pry open the headlights with your hands. If the glue doesn’t seem pliable enough, heat it up some more.

#50 ·
drauden said:
Pdiddy told me he used a heat gun. I did the same thing and it does work. Here are his comments to me:

To remove the housing:

1. Remove 4 screws
2. Set heat gun temp to 750deg
3. Place the housing with the clear plastic part facing down
4. Keep the gun about 2 inches away from the target
5. Apply heat along the perimeter of the seams for 5 minutes. Make sure you don’t stop, just keep going in a circle around the perimeter. Wear gloves because it’ll get hot.
6. After that, pry open the headlights with your hands. If the glue doesn’t seem pliable enough, heat it up some more.
Yup. Take your time and don't force it. It takes about 5-10 min per headlight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.