Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
shirleyujest said:
Does anyone by chance know of a TSB for a cabin vibration at highway speeds?

Describe your cabin vibration. What year is your vehicle. Give the fellas a little more detail and the responses will pour in. There are several TSB's out the for the '04's dealing with vibrations from various sources.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, the morning coffee has not kicked in yet.

I have an '05 LE with about 2,300 miles on it. Since I picked up the car, I have noticed a vibration (sound) throughout the cabin at speeds between 50 and 65 mph. It is more of a "seat of the pants" variety. In otherwords, I do not feel it the steering wheel, but rather it is more of an overall vibration of the entire cab. I also notice that the drivers side mirror vibrates at those speeds as well. The best way to describe the sound is like a very loud humming noise or tire noise.

All four wheels have been balanced, with no relief.

Although the dealership is willing to look at the vehicle, I am starting to get the typical "run around", which is disheartning. This is the third Nissan product I have owned ('95 Maxima & '03 G35) and I expected better product service, especially for a $40,000 car.

·
Premium Member
4,362 Posts
Cabin boom I believe is with the windows open.Sounds like you just have bad stock tires. Try a road force balance instead of standard balance. This is the most common fix. Next, would be a loose suspension part. Couple people had this. Keep us updated. Thanks. ;)

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will keep you posted. Thanks.

You know, I thought it might be a bad set of tires.. but when I suggested that to the dealership, they just look at me funny. :teeth:

Although, if it was the tires, perhaps I would feel it in the steering wheel?

·
Premium Member
4,362 Posts
shirleyujest said:
I will keep you posted. Thanks.

You know, I thought it might be a bad set of tires.. but when I suggested that to the dealership, they just look at me funny. :teeth:

Although, if it was the tires, perhaps I would feel it in the steering wheel?
Yes. If you don't feel it in the wheel, it probably isn't the tires or the suspension. ;)

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
shirleyujest said:
Sorry, the morning coffee has not kicked in yet.

I have noticed a vibration (sound) throughout the cabin at speeds between 50 and 65 mph. It is more of a "seat of the pants" variety. In otherwords, I do not feel it the steering wheel, but rather it is more of an overall vibration of the entire cab. .

This sounds like the "cabin booming" noise TSB which I had in my '04, and since it was fixed the cabin is quiet. I thought they fixed it in the '05's, but you may have an early built 2005. Go to nissanhelp.com and check out the vehicles it applies.

·
Premium Member
4,362 Posts
If it is cabin boom, they did fix it in '05. However, you may have something loose or cracked, etc. resulting in cabin boom. The Center console rattle jiggle was supposed to be fixed on '05. I had it. Turned out I had a cracked bracket. They replaced the entire center console, screen and all, for free. :noworries

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
You may find its just air filter box resonance.

I get a noise that you can also hear and feel at about 60-65 mph on the highway under very light throttle. If I release the throttle or push it furhter the noise /feel goes away. I think it is worse with body on frame vehicles.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Generaly speaking.. out of round or balance tires on the front will be felt in the steering wheel. If you feel vibes in the seat or chassis it will be the rear wheels or driveline.

You could try rotating tires around to see if your symtoms change and if it is a tire or tires then moving them might help you isolate the problematic tire.

Or as 92TripleBlack suggested... take the Armada to a good tire shop that has a Hunter GSP 9000 tire balancer. This system will find the wheel/tire combo that is giving you grief if there actually is one. If it is a tire, they may be able to rotate the high spot on the tire to a low spot on the wheel and correct an out of round issue. This does not work too well if your wheels are extremely true... but most wheels ,OEM and aftermarket, are not extremly true anyway.

Another thought is that it could be that your driveshaft is out of balance. It could have tossed one of the balancing weights stuck to it's side.

[Edit] By rotating the tires I meant simply swapping wheel positions not dismounting the tires etc.. This might be a DIY if you have access to a couple of jacks. I always try things on my own first since going in for service sometimes can be frustrating.

Also.. sucesss with the GSP 9000 is highly operator dependant. Sometimes it can take 30 minutes or longer per wheel for the operator to find the wheel/tire sweet spot. Make sure you find a place who knows how to operate it well. AND.. sometimes the tire after some use can slip back out of the sweet spot and start vibrating again. More often than not this does not happen, but it is a posibility. So if they do find an out of round tire.. and since the truck is so new.. I would insist the dealer swap it out with a good one.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tmation said:
You may find its just air filter box resonance.

I get a noise that you can also hear and feel at about 60-65 mph on the highway under very light throttle. If I release the throttle or push it furhter the noise /feel goes away. I think it is worse with body on frame vehicles.

The noise is definitely there whether it is under throttle or not, so I am guessing it is a problem with a "spinning component" eg. tires, driveline, etc.

I have just dropped it off at the dealer so they can have another crack at it. And, by the way, they gave me a Pathfinder as a loaner. You don't realize what you have until you drive something else. No complaints necessarily about the Pathfinder, but the Armada is, in my opinion, a much nicer ride!

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just got a call from the dealership. And the story they told me was that it is a characteristic of the vehicle.

They drove other Armadas, and they have the same "problem".

They also checked out the TSB regarding "cabin boom" and was told by the techline that the problem was fixed for '05.

When I pick up the car, I am going to drive another Armada to see if this is correct.

Honestly, the problem isn't super annoying...but it is annoying none the less.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
shirleyujest said:
I just got a call from the dealership. And the story they told me was that it is a characteristic of the vehicle.

They drove other Armadas, and they have the same "problem".

They also checked out the TSB regarding "cabin boom" and was told by the techline that the problem was fixed for '05.

When I pick up the car, I am going to drive another Armada to see if this is correct.

Honestly, the problem isn't super annoying...but it is annoying none the less.
That's one "characteristic" I'm glad my Armada doesn't have. Mine is smooth as glass, with the factory wheels and tires. I guess I got lucky, because I know many have had problems with the OEM tires.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
UPDATE:

I picked up the truck from the dealership, and it stil has the same problems. In fact, now, the "low air tire light" comes one intermitently when I stop. I imagine the dealership let some of the air out of the tires to soften up the ride.

In addition to the "cabin boom" I have a window which seems to flex away from the door sill over large bumps.

About the only thing they fixed was the vibrating driver side rearview mirror.

The sad thing about the whole situation is that I have spoken to the owner of the dealership about buying back the Armada for a different one. The dealership is the one who mentioned a lemon lawsuit, but I have indicated to them that by the time a lawsuit comes to a resolution, the truck will have more mileage than the 2,000 it has now. Therefore, it will be harder to trade out of.

Geez, here I am trying to avoid a lawsuit and the dealership is pushing me in that direction. All I want is a truck without any problems!

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ockevin said:
Call Nissan direct and make a claim and start the process. You file a lemon lawsuit with Nissan and not the dealer.

I understand your point, and that is what the dealership said. However, I have seen suits where the dealer is also named under theories of breach of contract and misrepresentation.

This seems to be the dealers attitude: that it is Nissan's problem and not theirs. But, they could not be more mistaken.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
ChuckD said:
Generaly speaking.. out of round or balance tires on the front will be felt in the steering wheel. If you feel vibes in the seat or chassis it will be the rear wheels or driveline.

You could try rotating tires around to see if your symtoms change and if it is a tire or tires then moving them might help you isolate the problematic tire.

Or as 92TripleBlack suggested... take the Armada to a good tire shop that has a Hunter GSP 9000 tire balancer. This system will find the wheel/tire combo that is giving you grief if there actually is one. If it is a tire, they may be able to rotate the high spot on the tire to a low spot on the wheel and correct an out of round issue. This does not work too well if your wheels are extremely true... but most wheels ,OEM and aftermarket, are not extremly true anyway.

Another thought is that it could be that your driveshaft is out of balance. It could have tossed one of the balancing weights stuck to it's side.

[Edit] By rotating the tires I meant simply swapping wheel positions not dismounting the tires etc.. This might be a DIY if you have access to a couple of jacks. I always try things on my own first since going in for service sometimes can be frustrating.

Also.. sucesss with the GSP 9000 is highly operator dependant. Sometimes it can take 30 minutes or longer per wheel for the operator to find the wheel/tire sweet spot. Make sure you find a place who knows how to operate it well. AND.. sometimes the tire after some use can slip back out of the sweet spot and start vibrating again. More often than not this does not happen, but it is a posibility. So if they do find an out of round tire.. and since the truck is so new.. I would insist the dealer swap it out with a good one.
Whats the symptoms of vibration of a drive shaft?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.