Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i found on the Fx forum on freshalloy that if you hold vdc for 10 seconds that it disables all of the electroninc assist, i've never driven the car after pushing the button for 10 seconds but after you press it you need to restart the car to for vdc to be back on.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Ohhh...
So thats what thats for... Thanks for the tip!

·
Premium Member
5,215 Posts
SilverQShip said:
Well i found on the Fx forum on freshalloy that if you hold vdc for 10 seconds that it disables all of the electroninc assist, i've never driven the car after pushing the button for 10 seconds but after you press it you need to restart the car to for vdc to be back on.
Several guys over on ClubTitan tried the trick of holding the VDC button. It didn't do anything. Also you can push the VDC button to turn it back on after you have turned it off. You do not have to restart the car. If you shut down the engine with the VDC off it will turn back on when you restart, but you can turn the VDC on/off anytime the engine is running by pushing the button.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
scr38 said:
Several guys over on ClubTitan tried the trick of holding the VDC button. It didn't do anything. Also you can push the VDC button to turn it back on after you have turned it off. You do not have to restart the car. If you shut down the engine with the VDC off it will turn back on when you restart, but you can turn the VDC on/off anytime the engine is running by pushing the button.
Off is off. I agree. What would the extra 10 seconds do? Its already off the moment you push it until you turn it off or push it again. :confused:

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, just try it hold the buttom down for ten seconds and the "vdc off light" will disappear and when u press "vdc off" the light wont come back on.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
SilverQShip said:
No, just try it hold the buttom down for ten seconds and the "vdc off light" will disappear and when u press "vdc off" the light wont come back on.
What's it supposed to do besides turn off the VDC which goes off if you just push the button. Is it off without warning light? Does it turn other things off? :confused:

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
I learned the same thing about my 740 on a BMW forum. That car has "dynamic stability control", (DSC) which is a combination of traction control, and engine/power management. The problem with DSC is the computer will cut power to the wheels if it notices too much wheel slipage on BOTH rear tires; this sucks if you are pulling out into tight traffic with wet roads and "goose it", the car cuts power right when you want to turn hard and swing you ass into your lane. If you hold the DSC button down for 10 seconds, the engine management/power reduction is disabled, but the Traction Control STILL works! This allows the car to sense slippage on your inside wheel, and give more power to the outside wheel, where more weight is, but not reduce power. Let me tell you, it works. If you like to do any type of "power slide" driving (snow or wet track), this does the trick. I don't know if this is the same in the Beast, but I will try some testing next chance I get. Won't the wife be pleased!

·
Premium Member
5,215 Posts
SilverQShip said:
You are correct. I was thinking of the Tow Mode button. Someone posted something similar, but said it was the Tow Mode button.
Has anyone tried to see if this makes any difference when driving? It will be interesting to see if this actually does anything.

·
Premium Member
5,215 Posts
I have been trying to see if this does anything. So far the only thing I know for sure is that it won't let the light come back on until you restart the engine. I will do some more tests and post the results.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
scr38 said:
I have been trying to see if this does anything. So far the only thing I know for sure is that it won't let the light come back on until you restart the engine. I will do some more tests and post the results.
Cool, I'm curious. :excellent

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Any results?

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
I can't think of any time you would want to drive something this large without stability control engaged. If you play around with a 5000+ lb vehicle on public streets you are endangering yourself and others around you. I can see if you want to try it in a parking lot by yourself and you just want to check it out, but this thing ain't much for anything involving changing direction or momentum. Try that sillyness in a sports car and better yet on the track.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
jechambe said:
I can't think of any time you would want to drive something this large without stability control engaged. If you play around with a 5000+ lb vehicle on public streets you are endangering yourself and others around you. I can see if you want to try it in a parking lot by yourself and you just want to check it out, but this thing ain't much for anything involving changing direction or momentum. Try that sillyness in a sports car and better yet on the track.
Here's how Nissan describes VDC.
VDC (Vehicle Dynamic Control)
Vehicle Dynamic Control* (VDC) enhances performance by helping to manage engine power and modifying brake pressure for each individual wheel on slippery surfaces. It also helps correct over- or understeering, so the vehicle can stay on its intended course.

*VDC is designed to help improve driving stability, but does not prevent accidents due to abrupt steering or by carelessness or dangerous driving techniques. Always drive safely.

Basically all it does is apply the brakes on a wheel that is spinning. It doesn't do much in the way of actual stability control. Its more traction control. Turning it off improves acceleration, but will also increase the chance of spinning your tires in rain, snow, etc. On a dry road its pretty useless though.

·
Premium Member
5,215 Posts
VDC does much more than apply the brake to a spinning wheel. The Aramada has G force sensors that sense acceleration and deacceleration in all directions. All wheels have rotation sensors. There is also a yaw sensor that looks at the steering wheel position. The computer looks at the signals from these sensors, and if it sees that the steering wheel position doesn't match the direction of travel it applys the brake to the individual wheel/wheels to help straighten the direction of the vehicle.
Look at this short description from the service manual:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
scr38 said:
VDC does much more than apply the brake to a spinning wheel. The Aramada has G force sensors that sense acceleration and deacceleration in all directions. All wheels have rotation sensors. There is also a yaw sensor that looks at the steering wheel position. The computer looks at the signals from these sensors, and if it sees that the steering wheel position doesn't match the direction of travel it applys the brake to the individual wheel/wheels to help straighten the direction of the vehicle.
Look at this short description from the service manual:
This is true, but I was thinking more anti-roll control when I hear stability, not keeping it straight. The Grand Cherokee setup is what I was thinking of.
http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_suspension.htm#DHS
It uses computer controlled stabilizer bars. (Stability). I would call the VDC a traction control more than stability control. Semantics I guess. Regardless, if I turn it off by holding the button, what does it do? I only ask because I have a similar system on the vette that gets turned off before it goes into gear. I am far better than the system, as most vette drivers with the same system I have rapidly conclude. Its called ASR. (Automatic Slip Reduction) and it sucks. I've almost been killed by it several times because it intruded into different driving situations leaving me hanging.(EX. I accelerated out into traffic in front of a bus. Plenty of time but I hit a pothole as I was getting going and the system kicked in killing the gas and applying the brake. Instead of a smooth transition into the flow of traffic I almost got broadsided by Mr. Greyhound.)
Thanks ;)

·
Premium Member
5,215 Posts
I am still trying to see if this does anything. One thing I know for sure - it doesn't disable ABS. The ABS system goes through a self test when you start the engine and start driving. When you reach 6 MPH the system makes the test, and you can hear a click or ping from under the hood. When you hold the VDC button down until the light goes off, you still get the click, so the ABS is still working. That's not saying something else is not being affected. When it quits raining around here I am going to make some 0-60 full throttle runs, using my G-Tech to time. I will try with VDC on, with it off, and after holding the button until the light goes off and see if there is any difference.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
scr38 said:
I am still trying to see if this does anything. One thing I know for sure - it doesn't disable ABS. The ABS system goes through a self test when you start the engine and start driving. When you reach 6 MPH the system makes the test, and you can hear a click or ping from under the hood. When you hold the VDC button down until the light goes off, you still get the click, so the ABS is still working. That's not saying something else is not being affected. When it quits raining around here I am going to make some 0-60 full throttle runs, using my G-Tech to time. I will try with VDC on, with it off, and after holding the button until the light goes off and see if there is any difference.
Cool. Stay dry!

·
Premium Member
5,215 Posts
It has been dry long enough for me to make a couple of tests. Using my G-Tech meter I made some 0-60 runs. One with VDC on, one with VDC off, and the third after holding down the VDC button until the light turns off. There was no real difference in all runs. 0-60 times were between 6.974 and 6.984 seconds; only 1/100 of a second different. The maximum G forces were also close, .65 to .66 G's. The 1-2 shifts were exactly the same, 41 MPH, as well as the 2-3 shifts, 70 MPH. (I ran past the 60 MPH figure to be sure to have good 0-60 times). Max HP during the runs was at about 4,690 RPM, with max torque at about 3,840 RPM. The torque, speed, and HP graphs were essentially the same on all three runs. Temp was 88, high humidity, dry road, no tire spin.
From what I can see, holding down the VDC button until the light turns out doesn't do anything. I may do some other tests in poor traction conditions, both acceleration and braking, but I don't expect to see anything different.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wat I heard on the fx and g35 forum was that when you press vdc off, vdc and tc aren't kicking in when you go in a straight line and get some wheelspin, its when you start gettin a little wild like drifting and powersliding that it starts to kick in but if u press it for 10 second and powerslide and drift there is no electronic asist. Basically when u just press the button down and do some crazy stuff to make the computers think that your losing control of the car the electronic assist will kick in but if u press it for 10 seconds it won't. But I don't think anyone would wanna do these sort of test in there $40k or $50k Suv.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
jechambe said:
I had to turn it off when driving on the beach. Driving with the VDC on made me feel like the Armada was going to bog down and get stuck in the sand. I needed all fours working. But I wouldnt turn it off for the street.

Did the hold VDC button down in the FX last year and I could not tell if there was any difference other than it turning off the dash light. I did all kinds of turns and what not and still nothing.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts