Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm replacing my trusty '06 Armada with a newer model. I occasionally tow a 22' trailer that weighs between 7500-8000 fully loaded. My local dealer has a couple of certified Armada's in stock but is totally clueless about towing. First he tried to tell me that they all will tow 9800lbs. Then he thought that if it had a tow hitch it must have the tow package and be able to tow 9000lbs. Clearly, I can't trust him to give me the correct information. Is there a way to tell from looking at the vehicle (maybe the weight rating sticker? Another salesman at the dealership claimed that had the tow rating printed on it, but it did not) whether the tow package is installed?

Thanks!

Andy

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Andy, My understanding is that the tow package is included on all LE.s. You can tell for sure if you crawl underneath and see the rear inflatable suspension.
The tranny is the same, the motor is the same, everything is the same with the exception that the tow package has the rear adjustable suspension a frame mounted hitch, and possibly the transmission temperature gauge.......am I right guys ???

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Andy, My understanding is that the tow package is included on all LE.s. You can tell for sure if you crawl underneath and see the rear inflatable suspension.

The tranny is the same, the motor is the same, everything is the same with the exception that the tow package has the rear adjustable suspension a frame mounted hitch, and possibly the transmission temperature gauge.......am I right guys ???

I believe the transmission temperature gauge is the main indication of the tow package.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe the transmission temperature gauge is the main indication of the tow package.
Is the true even for the newer models? I don't recall seeing a transmission temp gauge on any of the newer models. My 2006 LE has one.

I've seen some Armadas that have a "Tow Mode" switch but I'm not sure that means it has a the tow package. I wish Nissan would be a little more forthcoming about the towing abilities.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Is the true even for the newer models? I don't recall seeing a transmission temp gauge on any of the newer models. My 2006 LE has one. .
Our '13 with tow package has tranny temp gauge.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been doing a lot of Googling and found the following, possibly incorrect, information; If the sticker on the B-Pillar reads "RD33" for the axle, then you have the 3.357 diff which is the one that comes with the tow package. If it says "RD29" then you have the 2.94 diff which is not the tow package.

Apparently there is a sticker or plate on the diff itself which gives the ratio. I've not been able to find it on my Armada (I didn't spend a lot of time looking, but it wasn't obvious). The transmission temp gauge and suspension air compressor are standard equipment on some later models (the SL and Platinum from what I gather) and cannot be relied up to show that you have the tow package.

I think I'm getting closer to the answer, but I would appreciate any comments. I wish I could rely on the dealers, but they will tell you what you want to hear rather than the actual facts.

Thanks!

Andy

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
I have an 08 with tow package and tranny temp gauge

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
I thought the trans temp gauge was standard equipment on the Armada.

My '08 SE had it and now my '13 has it, but I know my '13 has tow package.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've got a '19 platinum "with tow package" but pillar reads RD29. I'll be searching for diff Identification as I plan on hauling all of the ~8500lbs available.

This thread is quite old, anyone have any updates? Thanks, your newbie

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
RD29 indicates you have a 2.94 ratio.

'07 Armadas that have the big tow package have the 3.36 ratio.
This from my '07 LE:

And information from this site indicates that the 2019 Platinum has 2.94 ratio

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
I don't think the differential ratios are the same between the gen 1 and gen 2 Armadas. Remember, the gen 2 trucks have a 7 speed trans, whereas our gen 1s only have a 5 speed.

I've got to believe that the Platinum model gen 2 would have the factory tow package. For gen 1, the tow package was standard on all but the most basic models.

Keith

·
Registered
14 Posts
RD29 indicates you have a 2.94 ratio.

'07 Armadas that have the big tow package have the 3.36 ratio.
This from my '07 LE:

View attachment 48264

And information from this site indicates that the 2019 Platinum has 2.94 ratio

If this is true, I'm disappointed in the gearing will have to do more research and possibly bring back to dealer. Might be a deal breaker, as I could foresee pulling horse trailer's too (in addition to bumper pull camper). Should I be concerned with lower gear ratio?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't think the differential ratios are the same between the gen 1 and gen 2 Armadas. Remember, the gen 2 trucks have a 7 speed trans, whereas our gen 1s only have a 5 speed.

I've got to believe that the Platinum model gen 2 would have the factory tow package. For gen 1, the tow package was standard on all but the most basic models.

Keith
If this were true, it would be ideal. However if the naming conventions for rear diffs are the same, I may have the weaker or less performant diff for towing. Uncertain if a big deal, but "I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it."

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
If this is true, I'm disappointed in the gearing will have to do more research and possibly bring back to dealer. Might be a deal breaker, as I could foresee pulling horse trailer's too (in addition to bumper pull camper). Should I be concerned with lower gear ratio?

Don't just look at the FD but consider the overall ratio:

1-4.887 (14.35)
2-3.17 (9.31)
3-2.027 (5.95)
4-1.412 (4.15)
5-1(2.94)
6-0.864 (2.54)
7-0.774 (2.27)

·
Premium Member
108 Posts

Keith
I believe all Y62 trims have same std towing capacity, i.e. 8500lbs/3856kg

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Don't just look at the FD but consider the overall ratio:

1-4.887 (14.35)
2-3.17 (9.31)
3-2.027 (5.95)
4-1.412 (4.15)
5-1(2.94)
6-0.864 (2.54)
7-0.774 (2.27)
You beat me to it......Don't get hung up on the fact that you think your Diff Ratio isn't right. With today's modern transmissions, with many more gears, and a larger spread of gear ratios, the FD is less important.

FYI, my oldest car (65 Buick Skylark) has a 2 speed transmission, with a 2.93 FD. Compare that with today's 10 or 11 speed transmissions.....

Keith

Reactions: toname

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts