Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Riordo: My opinion is, don't worry about whether your 2019 has "the tow package" or not. All 2017-2020's tow 8500 lbs. which is equivalent to the "tow package." When people discuss whether they have the tow package or not, they are concerned whether they can tow 6500 vs 8500-9000 listed in older model owner's manuals. But ALL 2017-2020's tow an impressive 8500 lbs. ...there IS no tow package for the newer years.

Also, your final drive gears are the 2.9 which is optimized to get you better mileage and serious towing. No 2017-2020 have the older 3.3 final gears anymore.

Also, I sometimes see someone erroneously say that the 2.9 final drive gears mean you do not have the tow package. We know this to be false because only the SV's (2012-2015) have the 2.9 final drive gears (an SL and Platinum cannot have the 2.9 gears). Yet an SV can tow 8200 with the tow package (stated in the owner's manual) ...and can ONLY have the 2.9 gears. So it must follow that you may have the tow package with the 2.9 final drive gears.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Riordo: My opinion is, don't worry about whether your 2019 has "the tow package" or not. All 2017-2020's tow 8500 lbs. which is equivalent to the "tow package." When people discuss whether they have the tow package or not, they are concerned whether they can tow 6500 vs 8500-9000 listed in older model owner's manuals. But ALL 2017-2020's tow an impressive 8500 lbs. ...there IS no tow package for the newer years.

Also, your final drive gears are the 2.9 which is optimized to get you better mileage and serious towing. No 2017-2020 have the older 3.3 final gears anymore.

Also, I sometimes see someone erroneously say that the 2.9 final drive gears mean you do not have the tow package. We know this to be false because only the SV's (2012-2015) have the 2.9 final drive gears (an SL and Platinum cannot have the 2.9 gears). Yet an SV can tow 8200 with the tow package (stated in the owner's manual) ...and can ONLY have the 2.9 gears. So it must follow that you may have the tow package with the 2.9 final drive gears.
You're in Harrisburg? I live in the Carlisle area. Small world.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I am curious about the 2015 model. I am not sure if my car has the tow package or not and don't understand cars really. How can I find out?

·
Super Moderator
6,014 Posts
you can read this thread as the info is here, or you can call a nissan shop and give them your vin - they can tell you the configuration from the factory.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Hi and thank you for the detailed note. I have a newbie question so pardon my ignorance if this has been covered to death in some other forum/post.

I recently purchased an Armada to tow a 33', 6,400 Lbs travel trailer. The Armada handles it like a beast. Temperatures (oil and engine) all were within normal levels at highway speeds. I keep hearing that a tow package comes with a "transmission temperature gauge" and/or that one should keep a close tab on monitoring the transmission temperature. I am so confused and my question is how the heck do I monitor the transmission temperature? The needles on my front instrument cluster are engine temp, oil temp, and the usual fuel gauge and battery charge level. Unless I am being an absolute dunce and/or not understanding something can someone please point out and show me on the front instrument cluster in a 2017 Nissan Armada as to WHICH gauge is the transmission temperature gauge?

I would greatly appreciate if you can point it out in an image/photo of the instrument cluster. Also, given my towing rig specs noted above are there any other words of wisdom for me to ensure a safe towing experience with this baby? I have a premium Equa-l-Izer WD, anti sway hitch installed and am mindful of payload not exceeding the 1700 lbs as noted on the vehicle. And I understand that includes the tongue weight which is about 700 lbs per the camper specs.

Anyway if someone can be so kind as to show me how I can monitor the transmission temperature inside my Armada while towing and any other pearls of wisdom about towing with the Armada, I would be SO VERY thankful for your response. Thank you in advance!!

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
I believe the new 2017+ models do not have the gauge, as I have checked images on a google search and searched for the word "transmission" in the online PDF copy of the owner's manual (hint: you can do this too when you need info). It looks like you have a warning light only. So you will not be able to monitor the temperature without adding a new gauge, which you can install if you' feel like it's important. It's yet another downgrade for the newer Armadas. I posted a thread complaining about the new ones and that they have lost a big purchase sale due to the many downgrades on the new armadas.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I believe the new 2017+ models do not have the gauge, as I have checked images on a google search and searched for the word "transmission" in the online PDF copy of the owner's manual (hint: you can do this too when you need info). It looks like you have a warning light only. So you will not be able to monitor the temperature without adding a new gauge, which you can install if you' feel like it's important. It's yet another downgrade for the newer Armadas. I posted a thread complaining about the new ones and that they have lost a big purchase sale due to the many downgrades on the new armadas.
Well that’s pretty annoying. It is a great vehicle but still for a car that’s good at towing I don’t know why they would get rid of that gauge.

·
Registered
4 Posts
RD29 indicates you have a 2.94 ratio.

'07 Armadas that have the big tow package have the 3.36 ratio.
This from my '07 LE:

View attachment 48264

And information from this site indicates that the 2019 Platinum has 2.94 ratio

Hi All,

I'm replacing my trusty '06 Armada with a newer model. I occasionally tow a 22' trailer that weighs between 7500-8000 fully loaded. My local dealer has a couple of certified Armada's in stock but is totally clueless about towing. First he tried to tell me that they all will tow 9800lbs. Then he thought that if it had a tow hitch it must have the tow package and be able to tow 9000lbs. Clearly, I can't trust him to give me the correct information. Is there a way to tell from looking at the vehicle (maybe the weight rating sticker? Another salesman at the dealership claimed that had the tow rating printed on it, but it did not) whether the tow package is installed?

Thanks!

Andy
I was having the same problems and the easiest way to tell that I've found is to ask if there is a "tow mode" button on the center console above the shifter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm looking to purchase a 2012 that is supposed to be an SL model. But...it doesn't have the air assist rear suspension. It does have the tow hitch. Could this be an SL? The original label on piller B has a new label over it (yellowish rather than the original white) and I can't see any info regarding the tranny. The yellow sticker shows 18" wheels yet the cars.com website shows 20" wheels on the SL and 18" on the SV. This sticker shows model as TPKWLTNW90EUAA--AB

If it's an SV the towing capacity is stated by cars.com @ 6500lbs (which is about what my trailer weighs) and an axle ratio of 2.94. I was counting on the 9000lb capacity.

Any of you with experience, I would really appreciate your input.

Thank you

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello,
Been a forum member for a couple of years. Getting ready to pull the trigger for a 2008+... Mada with a Factory Tow Pkg, and a 3.3 Final Drive/Axle.
I'm planning on towing a 6-7k # loaded trailer.
I working with a friend who is used car dealer.
I'm asking an already much discussed question, but not fully answered.
How can one determine if the Mada has a Factory Tow Pkg, with a 3.3 Final Drive/Axle looking online??
I'm currently researching a 2010 4X2 2whl drive Platinum vin

Also a 2011 4X4 vin- 5N1AA0NC6BN624763
Thanks for your guidance .
Joel

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 Armada SL
8 Posts
Regarding your trailer weights:

Don't trust the trailer dealer/manufacturer specs on tongue/hitch weight. Almost always, they are heavier, often much heavier.

Additionally, tongue weight is affected by what you load in the trailer, including water, great and black tanks.

Also, be sure to include the weight of your Weight Distribution Hitch, when calculating tongue weight.

Further, to ensure you load the trailer underthe GVWR, and to know your combined vehicle weight, weigh the Armada and trailers separately, when fully loaded.

The only true way to know is use a scale. A commercial CAT scale or go to YouTube. There are legit hacks to do tongue weight with bathroom scales. Be sure the trailer is 100% level, or you weight will be inaccurate.

Yes, a lot of work... but... while on YouTube, search for trailer/tow vehicle wrecks.... you'll do the work.

Hi and thank you for the detailed note. I have a newbie question so pardon my ignorance if this has been covered to death in some other forum/post.

I recently purchased an Armada to tow a 33', 6,400 Lbs travel trailer. The Armada handles it like a beast. Temperatures (oil and engine) all were within normal levels at highway speeds. I keep hearing that a tow package comes with a "transmission temperature gauge" and/or that one should keep a close tab on monitoring the transmission temperature. I am so confused and my question is how the heck do I monitor the transmission temperature? The needles on my front instrument cluster are engine temp, oil temp, and the usual fuel gauge and battery charge level. Unless I am being an absolute dunce and/or not understanding something can someone please point out and show me on the front instrument cluster in a 2017 Nissan Armada as to WHICH gauge is the transmission temperature gauge?

I would greatly appreciate if you can point it out in an image/photo of the instrument cluster. Also, given my towing rig specs noted above are there any other words of wisdom for me to ensure a safe towing experience with this baby? I have a premium Equa-l-Izer WD, anti sway hitch installed and am mindful of payload not exceeding the 1700 lbs as noted on the vehicle. And I understand that includes the tongue weight which is about 700 lbs per the camper specs.

Anyway if someone can be so kind as to show me how I can monitor the transmission temperature inside my Armada while towing and any other pearls of wisdom about towing with the Armada, I would be SO VERY thankful for your response. Thank you in advance!!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts