Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I installed a new compressor and the vehicle rises to normal height, but I think that before i purchased the suv, that the rear springs might have been sat on for too long without air in the shocks because though the suv is now leveling, when I go over a bouncy situation, the suv springs up and down a couple too often times before coming back to stability, and seems to do that in a lob sided kind of way.

So now I'm wondering, short off replacing the rear springs, what I can do more economically like maybe add "coil spring stabilizers" or whatever they're called, hoping for something reliable, and that could be the cheaper way to add some firmness to the rear coil springs to make them less springy/more firm and bring back stability to the drive.

Thanks a lot, much appreciated

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Bigger sway bars and poly sway bar bushings will be a big help. But, you drive a gigantic, heavy vehicle that will never handle like a BMW.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Unfortunately the only way to get the factory handling back is to replace the springs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately the only way to get the factory handling back is to replace the springs.
It seems like the coils are not terribly bad and they just need a little help, so before jumping in to a new set of coils plus installation labor expense, I have seen rubber stabilizers and aluminum twist on stabilizers, and am not sure if one of those or maybe another economical way would be the way to go for a good/acceptable and long term solution.

Thank you

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
If you need springs you need springs. A set of Moog springs cost $80. Better you bounce down the road awhile and save to do it right then waste your money on junk parts. You're going to buy springs - now or later - but you're going to have to buy them sometime.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you need springs you need springs. A set of Moog springs cost $80. Better you bounce down the road awhile and save to do it right then waste your money on junk parts. You're going to buy springs - now or later - but you're going to have to buy them sometime.
Hi Staplebox, that's basically what I'm doing, and am also checking if the springs may relax themselves back to as close to normal as possible with time, now that the constant extra weight has been lifted.

Thank you

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
I would add that you may need new shocks. I replaced my springs with the stiffer ones to help control things, but with worn out shocks you've got lousy rebound control and of course the Mada will bounce a few extra times before settling down. I also noticed too much dive and squat and roll. You've got air shocks, as I did, and the air might work but the shock inside still wears out like any standard shock. I ended up deleting the air and switched to Bilstein shocks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts