Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
121 - 140 of 146 Posts

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
I filled my Armada up for the first time today and got 15.9MPG in a 2:1 mix of highway:suburban driving.

Not terrible, but I drive with one eye on the instantaneous mileage reading so I'd hate to see how far it would plummet if I drove to have some fun hah.

Tonight I installed our cartop box for our upcoming winter travel so we'll see how much that drags it down, too.

·
Premium Member
3,332 Posts
10-11mph for me. :D neighbor just asked me the other day also. I think he was gonna faint LOL

Side note: how do u guys like the 550? Trying to convince my wife, she wants a 535. Said v6 is good enough since she has a v6 now. I was on e46 fanatic before.

sent from broken autoguide app.

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
10-11mph for me. :D neighbor just asked me the other day also. I think he was gonna faint LOL

Side note: how do u guys like the 550? Trying to convince my wife, she wants a 535. Said v6 is good enough since she has a v6 now. I was on e46 fanatic before.

I love my 550. I've had mine 3 years and almost 50,000 miles (had a bit over 24,000 on it when I bought it), and I still get a thrill when I drive it. The 535 is nice as well (BTW, it's not a V6, it's an inline 6), and is nearly as fast, but just isn't as responsive as the V8. But, if you're into tuning, you can do a heck of a lot to the 535 and boost the performance, whereas with the 550, there isn't much short of a supercharger to really move the needle. My 550 will run low 5's 0-60, but cruise at 70 mph, getting 27 mpg, with a super smooth and quiet ride; it really is a car with two personalities. Mine is a manual transmission car (very rare, only about 500 of them made total), which, in my opinion, completely transforms the car. My neighbor has a 535, which he let me drive when I was thinking of replacing my Maxima with an Infinti G37. I was so impressed with that car that I started shopping for a Certified Pre-Owned one. Next thing I knew, I was shopping for a 550, and I could not be happier.

Keith

·
Premium Member
3,332 Posts
Thanks Keith. V8 it is..lol...no tuning. Its her car. I cant even put wheels on it. The Armada is mine. Now time to convince her. Haha

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
Thanks Keith. V8 it is..lol...no tuning. Its her car. I cant even put wheels on it. The Armada is mine. Now time to convince her. Haha

Funny, in my household, it's exactly the opposite. She drives the Armada, I drive the car. Works best for us, since she's the one typically hauling the kids and all of their buddies / teammates / sporting goods around town.

Regarding the 550, strongly suggest you get a 2008 or newer; they made significant changes in 2008, primarily to the interior. Also, I personally wouldn't have one without the Sport Package. A standard 5-series looks kind of boring to me, even a 550. The Sport Package makes it look like a M5. The Sport Package also comes with 20 way seats, better suspension, a bit louder exhaust (but not too loud) and 19" wheels.

Keith

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
There isn't much you can do to the vehicle to increase mileage. Good driving habits and keeping tires properly inflated will give the best results.
For the engine, and the size of the Armada, this will likely give the best gains.

IF, however, you have a really huge beautiful healthy seemingly unlimited budget, great gains in fuel economy can be achieved by a diesel transplant.

(crickets)

I am researching/shopping to acquire or import a JDM diesel SUV possibly to replace my 4Runner (we'll keep the Armada for now because my wife loves it, and it pulls our travel trailer.)
There are already a lot of JDM diesels in western Canada, due to our 15 year import rule (U.S. is 25 years).

I'm looking at either a Nissan Safari/Patrol 4.2TD (mid to late 90's) or a Land Cruiser (81/101, or 77 series).

These are all very robust trucks that weigh as much as the Armada, but get much better fuel economy - high 20's or even into the 30's mpg with driving around the ideal economy rpm/gear range.
- heck, they are even very effectively run on used vegetable oil.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts

I agree with Kieth, I love my 550, wouldn't trade it for anything but an M. The 535 is a good car, but I prefer the 550. I still love the E46 M3, it was/is a cool car. ;)

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
I don't think a diesel swap is going to happen, but I am seriously considering the BullyDog power pup. Figure that with a CAI and maybe exhaust could be good for an added 3-4 mpg, hopefully. The armada will never get into the 20's, except when coasting on the freeway, but I am convinced there are things I can do to get 400-450 miles from a tank. I figure thats as much or more than a nissan versa, good enough for me.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
I normally get 550-600 miles per tank(100% highway without stopping at all) if I have cruise control set to 65 with 2-4 people in the car. If I do my normal 50/50 highway/city blend, then I normally get right around 270 miles per tank...

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
I normally get 550-600 miles per tank(100% highway without stopping at all) if I have cruise control set to 65 with 2-4 people in the car. If I do my normal 50/50 highway/city blend, then I normally get right around 270 miles per tank...
It's amazing how badly this truck suffers from stop and go. I've never finished a full tank but to the half way point my mileage is double on the highway vs local.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
It's amazing how badly this truck suffers from stop and go. I've never finished a full tank but to the half way point my mileage is double on the highway vs local.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
LOL, I think this is true of any V8. My 550 gets 10-12 mpg in the city, but I can easily see close to 25 mpg on the freeway. Heck, my previous 530 would get 17-19 in the city, but easily reached close to 35 mpg on a long freeway run (Los Angeles to Las Vegas on less than half a talk @ 85 mph the whole way).

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
I drive like a granny and get around 16 mpg around town here on 90 octane Ethanol-free. I haven't had it out for a full tank on the highway yet but boy do I hope it does better.

I think driving habits do a lot more for mileage than ECU tweaks, but every little bit helps.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
I drive like a granny and get around 16 mpg around town here on 90 octane Ethanol-free. I haven't had it out for a full tank on the highway yet but boy do I hope it does better.

I think driving habits do a lot more for mileage than ECU tweaks, but every little bit helps.
Agreed, habits help the most. But since me and the wife have different driving styles (she drives normal, I drive like I stole it, LOL) squeezing every little bit out helps. My Bimmer does way better when I go easy on it.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
City driving only, I get about 7mpg. Highway driving only, I get anywhere from 11mpg to 13mpg. Got a K&N Drop-In Air Filter, it does a little help, for bigger results I suggest the full CAI setup. A CAI, an exhaust, and an economy tune should really help you out.

2010 Nissan Armada Platinum 4x2; K&N Intake; 77k

2008 Toyota Prius; K&N Intake; 116k

2000 Ford Excursion 7.3 Powersroke; K&N Intake; 223k

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
I have the bully dog and intake, and it doesn't improve the mpg. I average 14.5 on premium fuel. I also have a BMW (e46 xi). Looking at 535 x drive or an x5 50 sport, but will keep the e46 for commuting. I would like to get a new qx56, but I'm curious how the Armada will look.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
City driving only, I get about 7mpg. Highway driving only, I get anywhere from 11mpg to 13mpg. Got a K&N Drop-In Air Filter, it does a little help, for bigger results I suggest the full CAI setup. A CAI, an exhaust, and an economy tune should really help you out.
I agree, I think I will get best results from Bullydog + CAI + exhaust. The bullydog is pretty well know for their results, superchips appears to produce more power, but I am not looking for power. As for the CAI and Exhaust, still debating: I had an SRT8 Jeep before that Gibson used to prototype the exhaust and K&N used for the intake (yeah, living in SoCal is cool for that, most makers are here). But not sure if those are the combo that works best for the Armada.

I have the bully dog and intake, and it doesn't improve the mpg. I average 14.5 on premium fuel. I also have a BMW (e46 xi). Looking at 535 x drive or an x5 50 sport, but will keep the e46 for commuting. I would like to get a new qx56, but I'm curious how the Armada will look.
Sent from AutoGuide.com App
LOL, I would LOVE to avg 14.5, we are currently hovering around 12.6 in mixed driving. So an Improvement of 2 mpg on this beast would be significant.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Purchased my 2011 Armada- Platinum last weekend from Nissan North in Columbus, OH. Man is this thing sweet! Only thing I don't like is the gas mileage, but I'm working on it. Any suggestions will help, but I've already been poking around a little to see what I can do.

·
Administrator
6,335 Posts
keep in mind its a near 6000 pound, 5.6L V8 engine.

drive with cruise control
invest in a performance programmer (e.g. bullydog)
feather the accelerator off the line. use 10% of your pedal and then coast with modest use of the pedal to maintain your speed
invest in a catback system
keep the engine maintained (plugs,. coil packs, good oil)
dont use AC/HVAC
roll windows up when on the interstate
dot carry anyone or drive with any extra weight or tow anything
don't use ethanol petrol

a LOT of what I said may seem silly but you asked. :)

these vehicles are FUN to DRIVE and no one should really expect any NOTICEABLE increase in MPG, but there are some ways if you want to save a mile or two.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Just enjoy your RIDE. I have the same Model and Trim as yours. Like you said: "Man this thing is sweet". Maintain it properly and enjoy...you'll forget that it get thirsty alot... LOL.🤣

Reactions: marctronixx

·
Registered
2 Posts
drive with cruise control
invest in a performance programmer (e.g. bullydog)
feather the accelerator off the line. use 10% of your pedal and then coast with modest use of the pedal to maintain your speed
invest in a catback system
keep the engine maintained (plugs,. coil packs, good oil)
dont use AC/HVAC
roll windows up when on the interstate
dot carry anyone or drive with any extra weight or tow anything
don't use ethanol petrol
Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it. I wasn't really looking for something like this, but boy am I happy I did! Has 100K on it and got it for a great price. No accidents and a very long service record, so I know it was well maintained. Plugs are every 50- 60 thousand miles? I know air filters are 7-8 thousand, which seems overly frequent, but I'll still do it. I try real hard to not get on the accelerator, but it's SO nice. I'm enjoying it tremendously!!

121 - 140 of 146 Posts