Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone - I've read many of the posts here and although I've experienced some of the same problems (brake fade, 3rd brake light came off at carwash, window rattles, and DVD problems) I really love my '04 Armada. The one issue the bothers me the most is probably the "loud" noise of the engine - it seems noticeably louder than other engines of similar displacement. The engine has plenty of power and mechanically seems fine - it's just quite a bit louder than I'd prefer in the cabin, and it's not the wind noise. Today during an automatic downshift climbing a hill my wife asked me why I was "flooring" it (RPM's @ 2500). I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions to provide a quiter cabin experience....I noticed a posting that compared the QX56 and the poster said the double pane glass and better interior insulation provide this effect. Does anyone have any experience with this and where would I go for assistance???
Thanks much!

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Mine's really quiet. Not sure what your noise level is but my G35 sedan and Jetta 1.8T are lounder. My old Jeep Grand was older also. I would bring it to the dealer if you have that much noise. The QX56 has extra sound proofing but I'm not sure why. My '05 is the quietest vehicle I've owned. Heck, the tire noise from the Infiniti is louder than anything in the mada at its worst. Are you sure it isn't the fact that a V8 has a lower stronger sound than a 4 bangers high pitched whine? :confused:

·
Premium Member
5,215 Posts
Are you talking about engine noise or exhaust noise? I think the engine mechanical noise is very quite in the Armada, quiter than most. However the exhaust sound of the Armada is more agressive than most (by design), so you will hear more exhaust noise than most other vehicles in its class.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm assuming it is not necessarily exhaust noise - only because the noise level is higher in the front seats than in the rear seats. It is extremely quiet on level roads not under load or acceleration. The cabin seems to be pretty well insulated as road noise is insignificant when not accelerating. Any other ideas - by the way, thanks guys for your insights :)

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Since you mention 2,500rpm, there is an exhaust drone around that rpm range. I guess it affects people differently. I kind of like it, but I can also see how it can annoy people as well.

But if its something else, you should hasve the dealer take it out for a drive and reproduce the sound.

Maybe you can record it and post it?? Don't know how, but it may clarify the noise.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
scr38 said:
Are you talking about engine noise or exhaust noise? I think the engine mechanical noise is very quite in the Armada, quiter than most. However the exhaust sound of the Armada is more agressive than most (by design), so you will hear more exhaust noise than most other vehicles in its class.
oh man i hope they put "just" a lil more noise on that exhaust since it sounds great... at leats for me ;)

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
a6franz said:
Today during an automatic downshift climbing a hill my wife asked me why I was "flooring" it (RPM's @ 2500).
Sounds like you just gotta start flooring your cars more often. I can't remember when I was shifting at 2500 rpms. Green light means floor it doesn't it? The way you decide you are going around a corner too fast isn't by feeling the truck lean, its by feeling the rear end start to drift, right? Guess I'm a speed freak but that's the #1 reason I got an Armada vs. competition. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts