Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone taken their Armada off road yet? I was curious how she handled and in what conditions? Im looking forward to the winter this year here in Pittsburgh and Sw Pennsylvania to test mine out in the snow. I will be taking some pictures this weeked and hope to share them with you all by very soon.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
I'd be curious about this too. The 4runner the Armada replaced was driven off-road quite often. We also go to the Outer Banks in NC and stay on the beach. So sand worthyness would be a plus. We saw quite a few down there last year. I got so tired of seeing Armadas that as soon as we got home, we traded our 99 4runner in. Such a difference! So far my only complaint is gas mileage, but we knew that before we bought it.

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
Pulled Good

Last year we needed my old truck 2wd Chevy 1ton and a 3/4t Dodge Cummins 4wd hooked together(6 wheel drive total) to pull my #6500 trailer up a long very steep loose gravel driveway at our property, all 6 wheels spinning and barely made it. 2 weeks ago, 4 days after 2+inches of rain the Armada took two tries and got it out by itself. Would have made it in one with a better driver. In 4 low it is a beast. :)

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Well, I can't give much technical info but I can tell you that I took my Armada in the snow and pretty much drove it in 2 wheel drive until I got stuck and then popped it in 4 Low, got out no prob. this thing rides like a champ in the snow.

2 days ago after some heavy rain I took the Armada out in the hills where all the motorcross people and ATV'ers ride, it was still raining a little so there was no one there. 4 high the whole time and the ride was smooth as hell. Went over some of the jumps which are pretty steep on the incline and only about 4 feet high and plowed right through/over them. splashed through pools of mud.
Let's just say I had alot of fun.

Noticed some people staring at me probably wondering if I was crazy or something taking my 40K SUV doing what 4x4's are meant to do.

Cost of 4bying in a Armada LE with navi/dvd:
1. My running boards are packed with mud in the cracks (not lifted yet).
2. I am pretty sure I heard something scrape the bottom (nothing fell of though)
3. Gas mileage was the worst ever at a low 9mpg.

Fun had pushing my 4by and realizing it had could take more than I could give:
Priceless.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Raffa said:
Well, I can't give much technical info but I can tell you that I took my Armada in the snow and pretty much drove it in 2 wheel drive until I got stuck and then popped it in 4 Low, got out no prob. this thing rides like a champ in the snow.

2 days ago after some heavy rain I took the Armada out in the hills where all the motorcross people and ATV'ers ride, it was still raining a little so there was no one there. 4 high the whole time and the ride was smooth as hell. Went over some of the jumps which are pretty steep on the incline and only about 4 feet high and plowed right through/over them. splashed through pools of mud.
Let's just say I had alot of fun.

Noticed some people staring at me probably wondering if I was crazy or something taking my 40K SUV doing what 4x4's are meant to do.

Cost of 4bying in a Armada LE with navi/dvd:
1. My running boards are packed with mud in the cracks (not lifted yet).
2. I am pretty sure I heard something scrape the bottom (nothing fell of though)
3. Gas mileage was the worst ever at a low 9mpg.

Fun had pushing my 4by and realizing it had could take more than I could give:
Priceless.

Mental note to myself: Never buy a used 4x4 from Raffa. :D lol

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
:]

If it will keep up, my plan is to keep this car around for a long time. I don't normally change cars as often as most people. My shortest time with a car was the VW Passat and sold that after 4.5 years. That was a love hate relationship that ended with a lot of hate.
I still own my '95 Civic, and my wife has the '04 G35 Infinity.

I dont think I will ever buy non Japanese again, as long as these cars hang in there.

--Raffa

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
I won't be buying non-Japanese again either. I had nothing but good luck with all of the Japanese vehicles I've had over the years. Then I started buying American. It has been one problem after another.

I have a few of the rattles with this Armada, but it's not much to worry about. Just plastic and more annoying than anything. As long as it doesn't leave anyone stranded, I'll be happy.

My son (3yrs) and I were out this morning in the rain racing around. I took it to some under-construction housing areas. This thing has some balls and it handles well also. The more I drive it the more I likee. I guess it didn't hurt when my co-pilot was yelling "C'mon Dad go faster." He has a way of bringing out the fun side of me. :D He also told me not to worry because he had his "shield" with him and he would flash it if needed. :cool:
They grow up so fast. :)

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
So far so good with my Armada, but only 1000 miles.
Minor cracking sound but I expected that with the inside is all plastic.
I got a 3yr. old too and a 9yr old and yes they grow up quickly

--Raffa

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Raffa said:
:]

If it will keep up, my plan is to keep this car around for a long time. I don't normally change cars as often as most people. My shortest time with a car was the VW Passat and sold that after 4.5 years. That was a love hate relationship that ended with a lot of hate.
I still own my '95 Civic, and my wife has the '04 G35 Infinity.

I dont think I will ever buy non Japanese again, as long as these cars hang in there.

--Raffa
lol
we also keep our cars for a long time except for our VW Passat. After numerous electrical issues and a mysterious leak we sold it after just a few years and bought a Maxima.
Now we currently have 2 Maximas (Maximi?) and the Armada. One Max has about 35K miles and the other 220K and still running strong. Neither have had any major issues and fit and finish is above par.

btw the Passat had a great interior, 5 speed tranny, and road feel but nagging problems and rude/$hitty dealerships will make sure you never go back.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
LOL

I had the 2000 1.8T with 5 speed manual. Got the upgrade bug with that car and Clubb5.com/vwvortex.com combined and managed to drop another couple grand on suspension, ecu upgrade, wheels and tires, etc etc.

I loved that car for a good year maybe two. Until things started breaking/falling apart. I got rid of that thing for next to nothing with all upgrades still on it.
That's how much I hated that car.

Oh, during that time my mother in law had a maxima with ZERO problems, so I started looking at a maxima for my wife and ended up going a little extra and got the Infiniti G35.

Pretty much fell in love with all things Nissan and jumped on the Armada eventhough I did not like the looks or the plastic interior. Now I am loving the interior more and more and the outside is growing on me.

A friend of mine got a fully loaded Yukon with a 12 inch lift on it. I envied her until today when I found out she has been having mulitiple problems with her car inluding a new tranny already.

I love my Nissan.

PS. sorry to take this off-topic. To turn this conversation back on topic I will add that I went by a friend of mine who works at BulletProof suspensions.
They are as far as I know the only ones with a 12" lift on the Titan.
They said that with the independent rear suspension on the Armada it will cost a grip to get any decent size lift on that SUV.

Nissan already sent him a Titan to lift for the SEMA show and that one looks awsome. Supposedly Nissan is also sending him an Armada to work on.
So, a couple more weeks and we will have some more info on the lift kit for the 4x4 Armada.

--Raffa.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
6 Participants
Raffa
Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
Club Armada is the premier Nissan Armada forum! Here you can discuss and review your favorite SUV with fellow owners.
Full Forum Listing