Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went to the dealer to have my new Chrome DIP D10s put on and they said.......aftermarket rims were slightly smaller than the Nissan stock rims (which is strange because they both had the same specs)! He continued to say something about the HUB CENTRIC. The aftermarket rims didn't have that lip in the center of the cap. He said it wouldn't be able to hold the weight and it will chew up the WHEEL STUDS.

So, I called the guy that sold the rims to me and he said that is BS. Nissan doesn't like to put rims on or anything AFTERMARKET if it isn't their CRAP.
At the same time, I don't want the truck to be unsafe , especially with my son in it.

OH, they (Nissan) also said that I shouldn't have gotten chrome? BECAUSE they will eventually PEEL!

WHAT DO YOU you guys think?

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
I don't know much about rims and tires, but I am surprised to hear about the pealing with the chrome. Especially since the dealership had the stock rims chromed on the Armada I bought before it was even sold.

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
I'm no expert, but it seems to me if your new wheels have the same bolt pattern and offset, they should work. As for peeling chrome, that's a new one on me as well. What would he say to the millions of people with chrome wheels? Sounds like b.s.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
I'm in no way ASE certified, but in general hub centric problems on wheels cause vibration problems similar to wheel balance issues. If the diameter of the wheel hub is bigger than the rotor hub, the wheel can be off center just enough to cause a vibration. Hub centric rings install in the wheel hub to match the diameter of the rotor hub that the wheel installs on, therefore making the wheel centered to the bore of the rotor.

I don't know what he is talking about as far as the lip holding the weight of the vehicle. Wheel studs equally take the weight on for each wheel. In this case, six of them. I'll check around and read about it and post if I see anything different.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aaaaah!

:damn: WELL, took the rims to ANOTHER place...they said similiar things.....the new rims are WAY TOO BIG in the center and will eventually CRACK SOMETHING....don't know what that something is.

Maybe I'm not hearing right.....the lingo is hard to keep up with.....too much info for my brain and plus these guys always seem to be in a rush!

Called the distributor AGAIN and said that they are the right size and he has put many on the Armada and Titan. WE ARE ALL CONFUSED.

As far as peeling, I think they mean you really have to take care of them....if there is a deep scratch, than it is possible water can get in there or condensation and then they could eventually peel?
:huh:

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
I have to say Chera,

If you've got two different places telling you the same thing then likely there's a problem. The guy who sold you the rims obviously doesn't want to have to refund your money and pay for shipping back to him.

What brand are the wheels? Give us as much info as you can and we can research it.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank SO much! I truly appreciate all the help. :)
Well, the after market rims are DIP D10
They are 18X8.5
bolt patern: 6-139.7
offset: +15 mm
center bore: 108 mm

Talked to the WHEELS 1 distributor and they said there should absolutely NOT be a problem. He doesn't Understand why they said this could chew the wheel studs down. WHAT IS GOIN ON!
:censor:

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Have the guy you bought the rims from call the place you are trying to have them installed at. That way they can convince one another who is right and you don't get caught trying to transulate between the two. Personally I would trust a tire/rim store over what a Nissan tech is telling you...based on personal experience with some of their "senior techs" :)

·
Premium Member
5,214 Posts
Let me try to explain why it is important that the hole in the wheels is the correct size. There is a boss, or ridge on the wheel hubs. The hole in the wheel fits snugly over this boss. The load on the wheel is transferred to the hub in this manner. The lugs may also carry some of this weight (in addition to holding the wheel on!), but most of the weight is carried by the boss on the hub.
Now, if the hole in the custom wheel is larger than the stock wheel, no weight is carried by the boss on the hub. All the weight plus holding the wheel on is now carried by the lug studs. This places a greatly increased load on the studs, and possibly could lead to failure over a period of time.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
AH...I got it. THat was a VERY GOOD EXPLANATION. THANK YOU!

NOW...I found this other place, which deals with TRUCKS and SUVs on a daily basis. Took the rims to him and he said the center of the rim IS NOT the problem. He checked the lug nuts and said that they are coned and will be fine.... BUT....he said what I need to find out is the DOT of the 5 spoke STOCK rim on the Armada. DOT stands for distributed something, something....it is the LOAD RATING. See, he is not sure the after market rim will be able to bear all the weight of the Armada. I checked out the DOT of the after market rim and it was 2,500 LBS each. SOOOOO, If the Armada rims DOT are more than the after market's DOT then I guess I SHOULDN'T put them on.

Does anyone know the DOT of the Armada 5 spoke....I also have the Tow package....that might make a difference.

Do you know I called 3 NISSAN dealerships, talked to several people/mechanics in the parts and SERVICE department and NO ONE KNEW THIS ANSWER! UN-FREAKIN-BELIEVABLE!
:clueless:

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
If the center bore on the aftermarket wheels are bigger than the stock wheels, wouldn't hubcentric rings remedy this situation?

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Stock rims are rated to take the stock maxes for towing and carry capacity. Your rims are rated for 10K total. That should be more than enough since the weight of the trailer isn't on them. They need to support the tongue of the trailer, the SUV, and load in the SUV. Since your SUV weighs about 5600 lbs, tongue of a 9000 trailer is another 1000, and 8 adults, heavy ones, adds 1600 more, you still have 3400 pounds of cargo carrying capacity.

·
Premium Member
5,214 Posts
TooTall said:
If the center bore on the aftermarket wheels are bigger than the stock wheels, wouldn't hubcentric rings remedy this situation?
Yes it would if the rings fit properly

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
One More Question

Even with that ring piece, the guy STILL said he wouldn't do it. BUT the OTHER guy, that deals with trucks said THAT is NOT the problem...like I said, the strength of the new rims was his concern (2500 LBS each). WHO DO YOU BELIEVE?

OK, so let me ask you guys this. Should I just send them back (hopefully they will take them) Or should I put them on. Will I be risking it if I put them on??

I don't want to put my family in danger.

Just want to say THANK YOU SO MUCH for all of your help, support and guidence....you guys are great! :goteam:

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I Had To Do Some Math

:urthebest Thanks for doing some research. That was a good visual. I need that sometimes, especially in this case. I've also done a lot of research. So, my other problem is if the LOAD RATING on the aftermarket rims will hold up to the armada's weight. I think tripleblack is right....I should be fine. BUT in my findings they do say that it is important that you make sure you buy a aftermarket rims that is compatible with your vehicle's maximum LOAD RATING.

Scr38 is right too, I need that ring! TOOtall is right too, all aftermarket rim bore's are always bigger. THANKS GUYS!

another interesting fact I saw......get ready to do some math!
The greatest GROSS AXEL WEIGHT RATING (GAWR) and divide that by 2 AND that is the Load rating per rim should have for your vehicle.

In the case of MY Armada the greatest GAWR is 4200 (in the rear)
4200 divided by 2=2100 My new rims carry 2500 each.....SOOOO...I should be ok.

So, you guys think I should have :noworries ???? Should I put them on?

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey!!!!!

HEY! WHERE DID YOU GUYS GO?????
I found some things out about LOAD RATINGS and I just had ONE MORE question. DON'T LEAVE ME HANGING HERE.

PLEASE SEE ABOVE.

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Hey Chera,

Sounds like if you can get the rings then you're all set. Load rating is ok.

·
Premium Member
5,214 Posts
I would use metal rings, not plastic rings.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts