Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a while since I've posted, usually because I try to only post positive things about the Armada. Well, I've found something recently that just took my breath away - and I'm mad as a hornet about it. RUST.

There are tiny rust spots popping up all over my Armada. I did plan to get it undercoated but haven't had the time - but the rust is appearing in spots that would NOT be undercoated anyway. So far I've noticed rust spots under my rear window glass (facing aft on the back door), inside the passenger door frame around the window, around the NISSAN emblem on the tailgate, and on the drivers side pillar next to the windshield.

When I bought my Armada, I noticed a flaw in the paint on the pillar. I own a company that does aircraft paint, and this looks like (if I had seen this same flaw on an airplane) corrosion beneath the paint surface. I pointed it out to the dealer, and they said if it gets worse to bring it back. Let's just say at this point I'm glad they have record of it!

My question now is - what should I do? If I send the WIFE up there with it, she'll rip heads off. I tend to be a bit nicer in these situations, but what can the dealer possibly do? From my experience, I would say that it looks like the entire vehicle either got wet or was exposed to something in the paint process that began this corrosion / rusting beneath the surface. Again, it has NOTHING to do with the lack of undercoating (the undercarraige, ironically, is not showing any signs of rust at this point).

I still believe Nissan makes quality vehicles. I think that my Armada was just exposed to something that is causing this - but the problem could be severe. What will the dealer do? What should I ask for? A strip, prime and paint? A new vehicle all together??? Mine's only got 12,000 miles on it!

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Drew

EDIT - I'll post some pictures of the offending spots ASAP!

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
I think there's a TSB for this, honestly..I'll see if I can find it for you.

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Wow, this really sucks. If I was in your situation, I wouldn't know where to start. I would honestly let my wife go at them. Would you feel okay with a new paint job with rust fix and probably bondo on your "new" car? If so, I would probably ask for that. I love my Nissan too, but this is a problem where I don't know if I would be able to contain myself especially after what my dealer puts me through everytime I visit.

Good luck with this and keep us updated.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Paint/corrosion warranty is pretty extensive. I'd take it in to get it evaluated by Nissan for repair/repaint.

I would not even hint at the possibility that something other than poor prep worked caused this. Let the paint guy at the shop come to his own conclusions.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
I had this same problem with my white 2001 oldsmobile alero. It was railroad dust either from being transported, or from the area I drive in Kc where I frequently pass under railroad tracks. Take that and add a little moisture and before you know it those flakes of metal are rusting and can put little pock marks on the clear coat. Mix that with some road salt from a snow storm to make it even worse. My dealership took a clay bar to it and pretty much took care of it. I did notice some small spots on my armada about a month ago after some snow and salt and a good wash and some polish took care of it. Hopefully it's that simple for you. I swore after the white alero I would never own a white vehicle again. You can see every little thing and that bugs the hell out of me. White does look nice though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts