Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Until I found this msg board last night. I'm sad that this Suv has so many problems. The brakes is what really worries me the most. I was thinking of buying an 05 LE in 4x2 but after reading all these stories of the brakes and other problems I just dont know anymore. Anyone here with an 05 LE have any problems with the brakes yet? Can anyone install some confidence into myself buying an armada....

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
pathfinder19 said:
I have an early 04 Le 4X2 and have not had the brake problems, a few minor cosmetic issues that were fixed quickly....
How many miles on your armada now?

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Tien said:
Until I found this msg board last night. I'm sad that this Suv has so many problems. The brakes is what really worries me the most. I was thinking of buying an 05 LE in 4x2 but after reading all these stories of the brakes and other problems I just dont know anymore. Anyone here with an 05 LE have any problems with the brakes yet? Can anyone install some confidence into myself buying an armada....

Well...I would submit that no matter what model you're looking at -- you'll find message boards with similar content. People tend to go looking for advice when things break -- and that probably leads to more negative content on the internet for any particular model than positive. I am definitely happy with my Armada -- and dollar for dollar think I got the best SUV I could have. If you're going to tow -- then you can't beat the Armada...that's a fact!!

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
best driveline

The driveline is soooo good it makes any other problems seem small. You would be missing out on THE BEST engine/trans combo in the business. Test drive one.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
I 100% agree with the drivetrain comment. No matter how ticked off I might get over all the little interior quirks, the drive (which really matters more than anything else IMO) is better than any other fullsized SUV out there :D. But of course, to each their own. I guess, in all reality, these issues aren't acceptable when you pay $36,200.01 for a product.

·
Premium Member
5,215 Posts
You need to understand that most of the time you read only the bad things here. Owners don't usually post when they have no problems. I have a Armada with a little over 14,000 miles. No big problems. No brake problems, no shakes, vibrations, window problems, etc. I did have the radio head replaced to stop the FM fade problem, no other problem. The Armada is smooth and quite on the road, I get 15-16 MPG driving 75. The engine and transmission is far superior than anything else you can buy. No vehicle is perfect. The Armada has no more overall problems than any other vehicle of its type, and less than many.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
scr38, not to sound like a wise-a$$, but is that a fact? this is my first new vehicle purchase, so i have absolutely no background.. but id figure the auto manufacturers would be a little more thurough with their vehicles, especially the more popular (and more expensive) ones... somewhat reassuring to hear that, though :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Still the best large SUV on the road

Tien-

Despite your worries, you should still seriously consider the Armada. It's true - people post messages about the problems they have. This is true anywhere. But if you look closely - you'll see we are all very passionate about our Armadas. We all whine a little bit about the problems - but at the end of the day, none of us would be happy with anything else.

My Armada is an '04 SE Off-Road, and I love it. Yes, my front brakes started to vibrate a couple weeks ago. Yes, there are a few shimmy's and rattles. But my Nissan dealer has taken GREAT care of me, and they've been courteous and helpful in every way.

I've got just over 9,500 miles on mine - in less than 3 months - and it's the best vehicle I've ever owned. You mentioned you are looking at a 4x2. If you're going to be anywhere near snow or wet roads you may want to consider taking the plunge into a 4x4. I live in Indiana - we get lots of snow and ice - and this Armada feels like it's on RAILS on snow. I am extremely confident driving it.

Personally, I'd highly reccommend the Armada. GM vehicles don't last (I've owned several lemons from GM), and I've had GREAT experiences with my past three Nissans - all three of which I bought new. You will not get better built, more solid, better performing large SUV from anyone else.

Test drive one. You'll see!

Drew

OH yes, just to show you how passionate we are - check out the Gallery! Here's a shameless plug for my Armada!
<http://www.clubarmada.com/gallery/details.php?image_id=41>

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've test driven the armada 3 times now. :D I do really love the engine/tranny combo. It's smooth and powerful. I really really like the Armada but last night reading this msg board and a couple of others, then i found that TSB site with all of the problems. I was getting scared. This will be my first vehicle in 30k and wanted to do some research before I sunk some money in it. I won't really need 4x4 because I live in houston and it never snows (except that crazy christmas eve).

They had offered me 4k off the sticker price of 39,600 and there is 2% financing going on right now. It's such a great deal compared to a sequoia which I also test drove. I would get so much less with a sequioa for the amount I would pay for one. heh. I hate how toyota always adds all these crappy packages for their vehicles.

I'll be going in wednesday, to see if they can locate a white armada with sand leather. I like the combo :) Hope everything goes well. Thanks guys! :)

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Well

I'm not going to say it's the best vehicle I've ever owned, but that's only because it's been in the shop more, but for (relatively) minor issues. The Nissan hasn't left me stranded, while my former Tahoe did one time. But overall, the Chevy was a great vehicle. As for the Armada, I have an early build (purchased Feb. 04), and I've got to believe that they're better now. I drove an '05 and it was really, really nice. (Unfortunately way better than my '04)

I would agree- the drivetrain is the reason this SUV is still in my garage. My service has been pretty good overall, and the "promise" of the Armada as it was intended is a killer vehicle. Whether or not they deliver on the promise is ultimately up to which one you pick off the lot. So take a really thorough test drive (see if you can get it for a day where you drive a couple of hours) and take your time. Listen really closely for rattles ('cause they'll only get worse) and check the fit of the doors, gate, and hood really well. Ultimately, I bet you can pick out a good one.

Good luck! :cool:

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Great Ride

I usually just read these threads but I think its time to chime in on this topic...
I researched every SVU out there and drove everyone too. When you do the comparisons on paper, no comparison... when you drive them all, no comparison. All my opinion of course but I looked for months and could not find anything else like the Armada.
I tow a 28ft Travel Trailer in the summer, it's just a beast. Now that we have snow (West Michigan) it is the best vehicle I have ever driven on slippery roads. I have had a few minor squeaks an rattles but nothing the dealer couldn't fix. Now at 14,900 miles I have NO Brake problems, or any other TSB issues to speak of. It's been a dream vehicle. It's the first new car I have ever purchased(usually buy used to save some dough) but in this instance the Armada has been a real value already. I do not have the worries of a used car, I have a great warranty, and the Armada is just different than anything else on the road.
I still have people ask " what the heck is that" I love that... Its just been a pleasure to own...

Good luck, make the comparisons, do you home work.
If someone makes a better large SUV I'd love to hear which one...

04 LE 4X4-

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Tien-

My Armada is Blizard White with the Sand Leather interior. I'll try to take some photos in the next day or so and upload them. It's a beautiful combination!

I also have the DVD player with the fold-down screen and headphones - a MUST if you have kids! :D

Drew

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
You should check out the TSB lists on the other SUV's you are interested in. You will see that it aint so bad owning an Armada. Plus most of the problems people complain about are very trivial in some peoples opinions. Things that get most upset are small squeaks and rattles. These are things that are easily stopped most of the time. As far as the engine and transmission go along with the looks of this ride I would say you would be making a good choice with an Armada.
Good Luck
M4ck

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Quick reply...

If you look at the history of the Toyota Sequoia (the other japanese automaker fullsize SUV) you'll find plenty of gripes about undersized brakes. If you look into Ford Excursions ... same thing. Dodge diesels ... same thing. Chevy is about the only folks who have got the brakes right, but at the expense of the rest of the package (interior quality especially).

The real issue on brakes is the difficulty of hauling 6000 pounds down to zero repeatedly, around town, like its a 3500 pound Civic.

... and about using discussion boards for decision making ... try looking up adnoidectomy prior to taking your 5 year old in for surgery ... that'll scare the s&^* out of you!

Happy car shopping.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Hmmm. Well, no problems with mine.
Point one: No vehicles are without problems. Ours are minor.
Yukon, Tahoe, Suburban, Escalade, Hummer: All share the same 6 liter motor. All have had head gasket after head gasket blow. Long repair, messy, leaves you stranded and can blow motor.
F150, Expedition: Share the same faulty rears that fail and grind more often than our brakes have problems.
Dodge? Next
Toyota: Not full size or full powered. Not much bigger and weaker than an explorer actually so wasn't an option for me.

Our brakes? They are pads wearing and rotors warping. Won't leave you stranded, easy and fast to replace. Fix is on the way in a couple months with a free recall.

They pretty much solved every problem that came up in the '04.

Afraid? What are your other options?

BTW, my other vehicles: G35 has same brake problem and they replaced them for free. Vette has a faulty distributor design that has stranded me twice. Jettas and VWs are notorious for electrical problems. My old Grand Cherokee was lucky as it didn't need 2 complete transmission swaps before 50K miles. Any other questions?

If you are still afraid, add a $1000 brake upgrade and brake better than a corvette. Not much more for a $40K+ truck. :rolleyes:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts