Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm researching Armadas (as this may be my next suv....) and had a question I was hoping you can answer.

On the Tech Package, you get the LCD monitor in dash - I've seen pics with the GPS system being used here. But was wondering if you can watch DVDs on this screen as well?

It's just me and wife for now, so unless one of us gets in the back seat, we wouldn't be able to take advantage of the overhead LCD screen that is for 2nd & 3rd row occupants.

Thanks!
Joe

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
DVD in dash

It can be done, but you have to buy an A/V switcher unit that will cost you $400-$500. Allows you to switch the screen from DVD to Navi. Do a search for A/V switcher and check this site

avelectronic.com

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
I did it .....I dont have the factory Navigation up front , but I bought the trim piece and put a regular lcd screen up front to watch movies. I have it tied into the factory DVD system (with rear screen).

Contact llajumvid.....he is an expert and gave me the wiring info to tap into. Install was done in an hour .

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
ockevin said:
I did it .....I dont have the factory Navigation up front , but I bought the trim piece and put a regular lcd screen up front to watch movies. I have it tied into the factory DVD system (with rear screen).

Contact llajumvid.....he is an expert and gave me the wiring info to tap into. Install was done in an hour .

I want to do this and I also don't have the NAV system, any chance you can tell me all that you had to purchase to do this besides the monitor. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
You definitely can as I have this done as well. I got a little lucky with a group buy for the adapter piece. Unfortunately I did not do the install myself, it was done at a shop. I think I spent about $450 or so total.

shift_joe said:
I'm researching Armadas (as this may be my next suv....) and had a question I was hoping you can answer.

On the Tech Package, you get the LCD monitor in dash - I've seen pics with the GPS system being used here. But was wondering if you can watch DVDs on this screen as well?

It's just me and wife for now, so unless one of us gets in the back seat, we wouldn't be able to take advantage of the overhead LCD screen that is for 2nd & 3rd row occupants.

Thanks!
Joe

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
To put the Tv monitor up front in the navigation housing you will need the following:

-Nissan Navigation Housing , part # above about $135
-7" monitor w/ remote, can't use the front face buttons, they will be hidden. about $100, need to drill a hole for the remote eye for the remote control.
-Need to trim the stock radio bezel about 3/4 " (face plate where the volume nob is) labor $40. There will be a gap of about two credit cards width. I had a piece of real carbon fiber cut to fit the top panel to blend it in. You can fiberglass it in but it runs alot more.
-Labor to tap into stock DVD wiring...about $40, I have the stock rear monitor and factory DVD.
- I also added headrest monitors and needed a video amp to improve the signal and prevent lines in the monitors. I got these pre-fabbed from ebay for $260. The grey matches great and the stock Armada ones are too small and dont look good.

All total about $325 in parts and labor. I paid $600 for everything... Headrests, navigation housing and monitor, video amp, and all labor to install.

Pics below......

Here is the trim piece....

More pics of my Mada at...

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2123697

Kevin....

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Very nice setup and thanks for showing it to me. I am installing the Blaupunkt ME3 this weekend with an aftermarket overhead display and I am thinking about adding a monitor in the Nav housing. Seems simple enough that I might want to try it. Which monitor did you go with on the DVD housing?

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
I went with the performance teknique.....its a cheapy.

If you use the blaupunkt unit it will be much easier to install and you will have the tv tuner as well. Its highly recommended.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
ockevin said:
To put the Tv monitor up front in the navigation housing you will need the following:

-Nissan Navigation Housing , part # above about $135
-7" monitor w/ remote, can't use the front face buttons, they will be hidden. about $100, need to drill a hole for the remote eye for the remote control.
-Need to trim the stock radio bezel about 3/4 " (face plate where the volume nob is) labor $40. There will be a gap of about two credit cards width. I had a piece of real carbon fiber cut to fit the top panel to blend it in. You can fiberglass it in but it runs alot more.
-Labor to tap into stock DVD wiring...about $40, I have the stock rear monitor and factory DVD.
- I also added headrest monitors and needed a video amp to improve the signal and prevent lines in the monitors. I got these pre-fabbed from ebay for $260. The grey matches great and the stock Armada ones are too small and dont look good.

All total about $325 in parts and labor. I paid $600 for everything... Headrests, navigation housing and monitor, video amp, and all labor to install.

Pics below......

Here is the trim piece....

More pics of my Mada at...

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2123697

Kevin....
Kevin,

I'm planning on doing the same to my Armada. What monitor brand and model did you use and exactly where did you have to trim to make the factory navi bezel to work/ fit? Thanks for the help.

Eric

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Yes, it's very possible to watch DVD on the NICE system as others have described, but be informed that as soon as NICE detects motion, the video would cease to show while the audio would continue. The video comes back on when the vehicle comes to a halt.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
So all i need since i have the screen already is to connect or splice into dvd or rear screen?

Does anyone have a diagram. So i know what wire to tap into the front screen...Im a little confused on how to do this? Or should i take it to a shop if its really complicated...

I have it tied into the factory DVD system (with rear screen).

Contact llajumvid.....he is an expert and gave me the wiring info to tap into. Install was done in an hour .[/QUOTE]
llajumvid can you send me or post wiring info

I think i might go this route.
Like others have stated, it can be done. You cannot watch DVD as is from the factory. You will need an A/V swicth. The cheapest is probably from http://tvandnav2go.com/ a little over $200 with a plug and play harness.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.