Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Infinity qx56 i bought new, has 150,000 miles now and has started acting up when we try to start it at random times. 10-15 times starts perfect, next time it acts like battery is dead and gauges flicker and it may start on the next push of the button or may take 5 times. Sometimes locking and unlocking with key fob helps but just randomly does it. Had a mechanic drive it everyday for a week with his scanner and never did it.(Of course) did it next day 5 times. Been doing this for 5 or 6 months now and i cant figure it out. Thought at first wife was crazy, because she said battery keeps going dead and someone would jump her and it would start then so I replaced the battery for her just thinking it had a bad cell or something in it because it was 5 years old, but it kept doing it and i swapped vehicles with her and i realized it was like a short or something in it. When it does it you can just start pushing start button again and again and finally it will start. Any suggestions on what part i should replace next to try to resolve problem? I appreciate the help!!

·
Super Moderator
5,401 Posts
hello and welcome.

ive the same car. fully loaded at 94K. daily driver. bought brand new. have not had any issues you see but will try to lend some areas to explore:

the push button start may be faulty.
the BCM may also be faulty
Cam angle sensor
petrol pump
plugs/coil packs
you may have a parasitic drain somewhere on the car. have you tested the alternator? voltage regulator may be faulty.
battery cables/ground straps
bad petrol
if you are having any sensor related issues, they will be stored in the ecm. im sure there are some codes being thrown if you are having these symptoms.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hello and welcome.

ive the same car. fully loaded at 94K. daily driver. bought brand new. have not had any issues you see but will try to lend some areas to explore:

the push button start may be faulty.
the BCM may also be faulty
Cam angle sensor
petrol pump
plugs/coil packs
you may have a parasitic drain somewhere on the car. have you tested the alternator? voltage regulator may be faulty.
battery cables/ground straps
bad petrol
if you are having any sensor related issues, they will be stored in the ecm. im sure there are some codes being thrown if you are having these symptoms.
No codes, or other issues at all. Voltage is good and cables, gas not an issue, pump fine. Just clicks sometimes and other times everything acts like battery is dead. Unlock and lock doors and it starts then usually. Im thinking its the push button has a short or something in it. Does the push button read the key fob or will i have to reprogram anything if i swap that myself with a new one?

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Sounds like the ecm relay problem that a lot of folks have where it'll randomly no crack / no start.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like the ecm relay problem that a lot of folks have where it'll randomly no crack / no start.
It that just a ecm replacement i can do or is there a separate ECM relay? I see the ecm part i can purchase, is that the part you are talking about? Yes, i am clueless on this stuff. And any idea if those are just plug and go or do i need to get it programmed at installation? Thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Check this out

OK - was on the phone before. I would start with the relay shown in the video. Buy a new one and swap it out and see if the problem goes away. If the car won't start before the part comes in - try swapping the two shown in the video and see if that fixes it. If this fixes it then that is great - cheap and easy.

If it doesn't fix it these intermittent no crank / no start problems with no codes can be a real pain the the arse. As you've seen - even a mechanic driving it for a week with a scan tool may not even see the problem, let alone fix it. You just have to keep a close eye on it and start eliminating variables as easily and cheaply as possible - don't throw expensive parts at it hoping they will fix the problem. Find the problem first, then get the parts you know you need. Good luck

·
Super Moderator
5,401 Posts
yeah I did not mention the IPDM relay. thats been a COMMON problem for many over the years on older armadas and Qx's, but not heard of this on the second gen armada and Qx, this is why I did not mention it. that said, you can swap the fog lamp relay with it. its an inexpensive part.

curious, how do you know there are "no codes"? do you have a code reader, or are you relying on the MIL bulb?

the key fob and push button all work in tandem with the BCM. this is why i suggested a BCM issue could be afoot also. you may try replacing the battery in the fob (may not help but cheap to do).

but again you mention a dead battery. you may have some drain on the battery causing it to not turn over the engine. if you have access to a scan tool look at the charging voltage when the car is running to make sure the regulator is doing its thing. there is an sensor wire on the negative cable that tell the ECM the state of discharge on the system and the ECM tells the alternator to increase/decrease current dynamically based on many factors.

there's a few avenues to go down, and you need to try and find a way to repeat the issue or document it (video helps).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2012 Infinity qx56 i bought new, has 150,000 miles now and has started acting up when we try to start it at random times. 10-15 times starts perfect, next time it acts like battery is dead and gauges flicker and it may start on the next push of the button or may take 5 times. Sometimes locking and unlocking with key fob helps but just randomly does it. Had a mechanic drive it everyday for a week with his scanner and never did it.(Of course) did it next day 5 times. Been doing this for 5 or 6 months now and i cant figure it out. Thought at first wife was crazy, because she said battery keeps going dead and someone would jump her and it would start then so I replaced the battery for her just thinking it had a bad cell or something in it because it was 5 years old, but it kept doing it and i swapped vehicles with her and i realized it was like a short or something in it. When it does it you can just start pushing start button again and again and finally it will start. Any suggestions on what part i should replace next to try to resolve problem? I appreciate the help!!
. Mine is doing the same thing. Did u figure out the problem

·
Registered
6 Posts
. Mine is doing the same thing. Did u figure out the problem
As is my 2012 with 75k, what did you guys do to remedy the issue. Unfortunately our local Infiniti dealer went out of business during the current pandemic. I've PM'd Matt for info, maybe I need to take it to Nissan?

Thanks all!

·
Super Moderator
5,401 Posts
hi,

can you kindly state exactly what's going on with your car?

you quoted a quote that offered no insight to your issue, :) so would be helpful for those over the internet who cant see your car directly if you took a bit of time to state your issue and what troubleshooting steps you've done along the way. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
2012 QX56 78K miles bought in Dec of 2018 with 59k, same exact issues as original poster ( Matt) battery is fine, wife needed a jump at work, 2nd 3rd time in 6 months, couldn't get it to start (battery is good, amp output) dash lights up seats move back etc, just before tow driver left he said give it one more try and it fired up, she got home I tried to start it and it sounded like the battery was weak would not fire up. Haven't tried it yet today waiting to see if anyone has any ideas before I take it or tow it to Nissan.

Marc, you helped me with my decision to buy this for her when I did, it's been great( replaced under warranty the exhaust manifolds,AF sensors ECM reprogram) timing chain recall done at 52K prior to purchase.

Thanks
Joe

·
Super Moderator
5,401 Posts
Marc, you helped me with my decision to buy this for her when I did
:cry::sick: Gulp

well thats pressure for ya.. :(

if you are not getting any codes, it has to be something intermittent. could be a faulty battery cable, faulty starter solenoid, cam position sensor, ipdm (not likely) , BCM, the nissan immobilizer system (thats the fancy car alarm). if one of those (the ones part of the car alarm) sensors are faulty it can prevent the car from turning over. this could be a fault /continuity issue in a wiring harness. im not a mechanic but those are just some things ive seen as being potential problem spots on other cars over the years.

if it were me, id just pay the 90 dollar diag fee at infinti and have them do all the leg work. then come here and figure out how to remedy the issue yourself. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Marc,

no pressure intended Lol, just trying to figure this thing out, truck was originally in SoCal now resides in the high desert of Nevada. i'm sure it's not rust or corrosion. I'll get it down to Nissan, hopefully they know something about the issues these have had.

thx!

I spoke with a Infiniti service writer yesterday and explained the issues. He asked if my wife drove it for long periods at a time, I told him just to work and back generally ( last week she drove 250 rt miles to the dealership for a airbag in the steering wheel recall), no issues, then the truck won't start. Anyway, the writer says to replace the battery and it will start, which I do and it fires right up several times last night, wife needed to push start button 2x this morining and now it won't start at work. the writer also said to put the new battery on a battery tender periodically short drives don't charge the battery sufficiently, nothing has changed with the truck since we bought it 19 months and 17k miles ago when the battery was new, very frustrating.

Anyone who has solved this problem please respond.

·
Super Moderator
5,401 Posts
agree with the part about the battery charging, the way the system is designed on the car it will not charge the battery, only trickle charge. the system ups the volts on demand, not when the battery calls for it. there is a thread on this forums explaining this process.

in terms of what else to check, if the car is still not turning over as you expect, something other than the battery is afoot. did they tale anmy code readings? anything show up?

i mentioned other parts that could be the cause. if you feel this service center is not up to snuff,. take to another infiniti shop. what you are experiencing is NOT how the car is supposed to behave, and dont let the infiniti service writers try and tell you otherwise.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
I spoke with a Infiniti service writer yesterday and explained the issues. He asked if my wife drove it for long periods at a time, I told him just to work and back generally ( last week she drove 250 rt miles to the dealership for a airbag in the steering wheel recall), no issues, then the truck won't start. Anyway, the writer says to replace the battery and it will start, which I do and it fires right up several times last night, wife needed to push start button 2x this morining and now it won't start at work. the writer also said to put the new battery on a battery tender periodically short drives don't charge the battery sufficiently, nothing has changed with the truck since we bought it 19 months and 17k miles ago when the battery was new, very frustrating.
Just curious, how many times did it fire up and how long was the engine running between each restart?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Marc, our Infiniti dealer is now gone from Reno NV, being in LA you have many Infiniti dealers to choose from we have 1 dealer 2 hours away in Roseville Ca. so I'm very limited. I know this is not the way the truck should behave but I've read many different posts concerning this type of issue.
Truck fired up this morning on the 2nd button push for my wife (not normal) after her 15 minute drive to work she tried to start it and nothing, came out tonight from work and it fired right up. She took it to Nissan, they said if it's not displaying anything in the dash there will not be any codes. She turned it off and started it back up several times while there with no issue. I'm having here take it for a long drive and I'll be calling Infiniti to have it fully checked out, my wife absolutely loves this truck, I do too when I get lucky enough to drive it, if I can't get this figured out by the dealer I might see the see the trade in light pop up on the dash :)

armadaY62: 4 x, only ran it for a few seconds each time last night.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Do you have a local Nissan Dealer? The car is the same as the 2nd generation Nissan Armada.

Reactions: marctronixx

·
Super Moderator
5,401 Posts
if it's not displaying anything in the dash there will not be any codes
this is not totally accurate. if there are STORED codes in the system, the system will wait to see if more of the same code show up before lighting up the CEL lamp. did they not even TRY to plug up the diag tool to check for codes?

agree, head over to nissan dealer and talk to a service writer. just tell them why you are there and if they can help.

your issues are also seen on this forum with armada vehicles, so the issues may not be specific to infiniti.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wife, took it in to Nissan, they said no codes would display if nothing showed up on the dash. Another writer said it could be a brake sensor of some sort, evidently a foot and a pedal will display on the dash my wife says shes seen it but not with the current issue. It started yesterday and today, we'll see how it goes. I'll keep everyone updated. Need to find a good battery tender, thinking I'll use it once a week while we sleep.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
armadaY62: 4 x, only ran it for a few seconds each time last night.
Okay, if that's the case then the new batt might have been hosed up pretty good during that back-to-back restarts without giving it a chance to be recharged. I think you should give it 10-15 mins runtime/idle before turning the engine off. If it still drains out overnight or in a few days then something is draining it. For reference, my armada can be left for over a week and still start. I don't really know how long it can go but just throwing it in for comparison.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts