Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have read a few guys talking about changing the oil at 1000 miles or so, which I can somewhat see...and have practiced before with other rides. am going to change mine at 1500 or so and then go synthetic at 5k with Amsoil. But do you seriously have to change the differential fluids/transfer case fluids at the same time? Have not read the book to look at the service interval on the diff's but that seems like a real PITA and somewhat unnecessary? Not to offend any other members on this issue, but the gears as larger, not moving as fast as all the internal of the engine and have always changed mine at 30k miles and been fine.

Please Advise.

I appreciate the wealth of knowledge this list has afforded me so far! You guys rock!

Scott

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
I believe the main thing is to check and make sure you have the fluids properly filled in these areas. Early models had some problems with not being filled to the correct levels and some rearends were burning up while towing. Always better safe than sorry.
M4ck

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
I would at least have the differential serviced. As for the tranny, you could just follow the manufacturer suggestion. The Titans have had some rear end trouble, and even though the Armada seems to have escaped those issues it'd be a good idea to change your rear diff fluid anyway.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
...re: diff oil change?

Re: Rear diff change...So if you all have done this yourself...typically a < 10 min job...does the Armada require any special "limited slip" additive or will Mobil 1 Synthetic Diff. Oil be all that I need? Guess the front diff is the same drill? I guess I should call the dealership and ask *or* get a service manual, but you all probably already know, so why not share? LOL

I would concur that this is a simple, easy check/change, so why not do it early?

Thanks so much!

Scott

adjmcloon said:
I would at least have the differential serviced. As for the tranny, you could just follow the manufacturer suggestion. The Titans have had some rear end trouble, and even though the Armada seems to have escaped those issues it'd be a good idea to change your rear diff fluid anyway.

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
sturner06 said:
Re: Rear diff change...So if you all have done this yourself...typically a < 10 min job...does the Armada require any special "limited slip" additive or will Mobil 1 Synthetic Diff. Oil be all that I need? Guess the front diff is the same drill? I guess I should call the dealership and ask *or* get a service manual, but you all probably already know, so why not share? LOL

I would concur that this is a simple, easy check/change, so why not do it early?

Thanks so much!

Scott
No limited slip stuff needed, it is an open diff, just need a 10mm allen type hex key (for rear) and some good 75W-140 GL-5 synthetic gear oil. It is easy. Front diff requires taking off the skid plate and the fill plug is up on passenger side of housing (tiny bit harder, but not bad). Helps to have the hand pump type gear oil dispenser as the squeeze bottles are a PITA.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
sturner06 said:
Have read a few guys talking about changing the oil at 1000 miles or so, which I can somewhat see...and have practiced before with other rides. am going to change mine at 1500 or so and then go synthetic at 5k with Amsoil. But do you seriously have to change the differential fluids/transfer case fluids at the same time? Have not read the book to look at the service interval on the diff's but that seems like a real PITA and somewhat unnecessary? Not to offend any other members on this issue, but the gears as larger, not moving as fast as all the internal of the engine and have always changed mine at 30k miles and been fine.

Please Advise.

I appreciate the wealth of knowledge this list has afforded me so far! You guys rock!

Scott
If you go with Syn I would not add Amsoil. I saw some interesting tests on oil additives and in the final analysis just change your oil and filter every 3000 miles or so. Technically, the "oil" never wears out, it just gets dirty and the addititives wear out. That is why you can recycle oil, it will always be oil. Amsoil is just another additive.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
sturner06 said:

Please Advise.

Scott
Also, regarding service manual, you should be able to do some creative searching on ebay and find the CD that Nissan sells for $240 +/- for $10. (or a copy of it anyhow)

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Rear Diff Change

I would highly recommend changing the rear diff oil early. I have changed mine twice already and I have about 10K miles (third change soon). The first time it looked horrible. Filled with magnetized black goo. I think by the third change it is pretty much all out.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Motivation

FL_Crushin said:
I would highly recommend changing the rear diff oil early. I have changed mine twice already and I have about 10K miles (third change soon). The first time it looked horrible. Filled with magnetized black goo. I think by the third change it is pretty much all out.
If you haven't changed your diff fluids yet here is some motivation. The fluid on the left is new, the right is what was from the factory after 2650 miles. The gunk on the paper towel is the infamous black goo.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
I think you will find that the horrible black goo (often dark grey, smells like hell and has shiny metal particles in it) is probably Molybdenum Disulphide. Nissan (if it is what I think it is) would have put it in there to help lubricte your axle and you have all gone and flushed it out.

I have used this stuff for many years in gearbox, transmission, axle builds and reconditions at work.

Here is a link to commercially available stuff.

http://www.molyslip.co.uk/theory.html

·
Premium Member
4,360 Posts
Change the diffs. Nissan has some goo in there they use in assembly. I would get this out early. I had the diffs done, transfer case, and switched engine oil to Mobil One at 1500 miles. The reason you wait to use synthetic is to allow time for the rings to seat properly. Really, after a few hundred miles, you've accomplished this. ;)

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Agree with tmation. I've seen in a couple of forums that the black goo is not killing your diff.

Still, as with any gear assembly, flushing it after break in is recommended to remove any filings/shavings/chips.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Transfer Case Change too?

Am about to change the rear diff with ordinary Valvoline 80w90 synthetic blend...and plan on changing again around 3,000 miles just to be sure. At that time I plan to put Mobil 1 75w140 Synthetic in. My question is...if I read correctly, do you put ATF in the transfer case? And if mine is 4x4, and I am running around in AUTO (read: 2wd all the time) then should it be necessary to change the front diff if it isn't pulling, it isn't turning? If it isn't turning, it isn't wearing? Maybe I will wait until after the snow and change it in the Spring, that way the front diff will have seen some use by then? Does this all make sense?

TIA

ST

Armadaof1 said:
Agree with tmation. I've seen in a couple of forums that the black goo is not killing your diff.

Still, as with any gear assembly, flushing it after break in is recommended to remove any filings/shavings/chips.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Yes. ATF in the transfer case.

The front diff fluid definitely has much less accumulation than the rear diff. Still, it's worthwhile to change it.

Heck - you're already under the truck and covered with gear oil, might as well knock out the front for peace of mind.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
My concern would be that if you change out the diff oil before the recommended interval (either yourself or a non Nissan garage) and your axle fails. What are you going to do when the Nissan engineer asks "where's Nissans gear oil gone?" and sorry you have voided your warranty? Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
4,360 Posts
Tmation said:
My concern would be that if you change out the diff oil before the recommended interval (either yourself or a non Nissan garage) and your axle fails. What are you going to do when the Nissan engineer asks "where's Nissans gear oil gone?" and sorry you have voided your warranty? Just a thought.
They can't do that. Car makers need to use standardized oils and lubricants that are readily available in the aftermarket and cannot void a warranty due to use of aftermarket lubircants, tires, filters, etc. That's the law and has been that way for over 20 years. Now dealers try that BS that manufacturer parts are "better" or "recommended" vs. other parts, but at least they can't say "required" any more. ;)

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
i was thinking of doing this myself but when i check the diff i said damn! that will be pain in the *** to refill. is there a easy way to refill these baby? also how many quarts does the engine take? i know really, don't shoot me.. i need to read the manual for that but i rather ask you "experts" bout all that.. thanks fellas..

·
Premium Member
4,360 Posts
Yeah. Easy way to refill is drive up to Mobil Express and point. ;)

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
I was at Nissan today doing my first engine oil change. I asked about changing the diff oil and I was told it shouldn't be changed before 75000 miles. What stunned me is the price, they said the cost is 40$ for each liter. So, if my calculation is correct the total would be 320$. Also they said there is a special stuff in there that comes directly from Japan and it is not available in the market. Offcorse, I didn't buy that but to convince me they showed me a 25 liter barrel that has Japanese letters all over it except DIFF OIL LSD GL-5 140.
So, to do or not to do what do you experts think.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.