Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Doing a transmission oil change sunday . I installed a magnetic oil drain plug for the engine oil drain that i got on ebay for 6.77. It's the same thread pitch m12x1.25 it comes with a washer , but I reused the copper washer on the oem bolt ,I just pried it off with a knife. Sunday I'll check how much metal it picked up. .https://www.ebay.com/itm/125338563349?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=tVInU0nWSTq&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=HvxyYSJrTB-&var=&widget_ver=artemis&m
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Font Gas Spark plug

edia=COPY Tire Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Tire Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Registered
239 Posts
Be very careful with those. I used to be a mechanic and I've seen more than one engine ruined by people adding magnetic things. What happens, is that if metal gets near a magnet but doesn't stick to it then the metal gets magnetized. Then as it floats through the oil it sticks someplace it shouldn't. And then instead of getting caught in a filter, it gets caught someplace else...Like a small passage in the engine/trans which blocks part of that passage and starts magnetizing other pieces of metal that float past it, and on and on until you have little pieces of metal stuck all over.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks i thought of that , but since there is already a magnet on the drain pan meant to collect metallic particles floating around the oil I figured it wouldn't hurt anything .this way I don't have to remove the pan to clean the magnet out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts