Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not today, but since the start of quarantine here in PR I became sick and earned 3 weeks sick leave so...I went to work on my Armada. LoL

I installed the front 9000XL struts, no problem. The rear ones and the suspension lift block where even easier, but...NOW MY ARMADA IS HIGHER UPFRONT! Any ideas why?

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
I’m guessing you went with the Rancho quick lift front strut assemblies. If you did, big mistake already. Not only do they give the front end a 2-3” lift, the ride won’t be any better than worn out, OE front struts. Bilsteins HDs or 5100s are your best options. If your armada had the auto leveling rear suspension and you just replaced it with the Ranchos, you also have to swap out the rear coils. The coils with the auto leveling suspension are too soft when converting to a standard shock absorber; have to go with either Moog/Nissan non-auto leveling rear coils.

Reactions: 《VikCruz》

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m guessing you went with the Rancho quick lift front strut assemblies. If you did, big mistake already. Not only do they give the front end a 2-3” lift, the ride won’t be any better than worn out, OE front struts. Bilsteins HDs or 5100s are your best options. If your armada had the auto leveling rear suspension and you just replaced it with the Ranchos, you also have to swap out the rear coils. The coils with the auto leveling suspension are too soft when converting to a standard shock absorber; have to go with either Moog/Nissan non-auto leveling rear coils.
Yes, I went with the QuickLoad Struts and yes, it seems to have gone up more than the 1.75 " they advertise and yes, the front suspension doesnt seem any better than with the Monroe Struts I replaced.

The rear suspension is not the air leveling system. The shocks are the RS9009XL I mentioned and I used the Rancho block I mentioned. I dont think the springs are tired out because it was pretty much level before the "upgrade". It may be that the block is not enough to level it so I am placing a replacement original rubber block on the bottom of the spring to see if that does the trick. What you think?

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
When you say block, I'm guessing an aftermarket spacer for the rear coils? If so, then yes, you'll need a taller spacer if you're trying to level out the truck. A 2" lift spacer should be enough but don't forget to get the truck aligned afterwards. Make sure the shop that does the alignment has a competent tech that actually knows how to align a suv with independent front AND rear suspensions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Here is a complete list of the Rancho parts I have installed so far. Please, make sure to avoid and follow the advice from the member that have been there, done that.

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
If you can, post pics of your truck with the current Ranchos. Considering the coils up front are new, give it time to settle. But I’d still opt for a steel or billet aluminum 2” rear spacer instead of the 1-3/4” poly spacer you have now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Most people suggest Bilstein shocks with moog springs on the rear to replace the stock spring if auto-level equipped.

Read,read,read.
Thanks! As I mentioned above,p the original rear suspension was not the auto-leveling kind.
As for reading, I truly wish I would've found this forum BEFORE I went on a spending spree. Now I am stuck with the Ranchos for the time being.

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
For what it’s worth, I had the Rancho XLs for the rear on my previous 04. Although I didn’t tow anything, it was daily driven (NYC) and it rode fine for many years. In the mix was a 1.5” lift, Fox 2.0 coil overs up front, Energy Suspension front LCA bump stops and Timbren bump stops for the rear. The 04, even when I swapped over to Atturo A/T tires, still rode smoother than it did in the past with the OE suspension.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts