Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 2015 Armada has the Intelligent Key with the ignition switch that must by physically turned to start the vehicle (i.e., we do not have a push to start button).

While attempting to program an aftermarket remote start device, I learned the physical key stored within the Intelligent Key fob will unlock the doors, but will not start the vehicle. When I insert it into the key slot in the ignition, it will not permit the ignition to be turned at all (neither clockwise nor counter-clockwise).

Tech support @ the aftermarket remote start vendor believes the microchip imbedded in the plastic nub of the key is not programmed to the vehicle such that the immobilizer is prohibiting the ignition from turning. He suggested I have the physical key reprogrammed.

The first locksmith I called said the problem was something only a Nissan dealer could solve (suggesting it was an ingition issue, not a key issue).

I previously read on this forum that the chip located in the physical key plays no role in locking or unlocking the doors. Rather, the chip's only purpose is to enable the immobilizer on the ignition to allow the physical key to turn the ignition and start the vehicle. If this is true, I'm leaning toward chip programming (or lack thereof) to be the real culprit.

Obviously, a trip to the dealer should be avoided if at all possible (particularly my local dealership that has a notoriously aweful service department).

Does anyone know if the microship contained in the physical key relates only to starting the ignition (and NOT to opening the doors)?

Has anyone had a locksmith successfully cut and program the chip in the physical key that accompnies the Intelligent Key fob?

Any help/guidance/wisdom will be greatly appreciated!

Scott

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have an 11 with same style ignition
check a different lock shop
MINE had to get the fob unit from Nissan , what they originally order was for push button apparently
It cost me about $240 cut and programmed

I went out with my key only (my key has a black square I assume is a chip at the top of the key)
I left the remote fob in a Faraday box
I was able to unlock and start my 11 with just the key

Hope that helps

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. The tech at the remote start company suggested the fob had been programmed, but the chip in the physical key had not. This made sense to me based on my belief that the chip in the physical key interracts with the immobilizer. As such, the physical key will unlock the doors, and is recognized by the ignition (dings when I insert the key), but will not allow the ignition to turn (immobilized). I'll take the plung and have a Nissan key programmed...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts