Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

121 - 140 of 143 Posts

·
SHIFT_Moderator
12,991 Posts
I'm guessing since you guys are all going off road with your rigs that your not to worried about wheel/tire weight...

I would love to throw on a set of chunky mud tires, but the only off road my truck sees is a gravel road while it's under construction haha.

I have spent all this money making it faster so I can't justify going from 38lbs to a 70lbs+ tire just for looks.... Maybe I need to get myself an off road toy...
My MPG are bad no matter what so my Daily Driver is now a Hayabusa that averages 2.5 gallons for the 110 miles I drive daily.

·
SHIFT_Moderator
12,991 Posts
what offset is being used on the wheels? I am trying to avoid trimming or rubbing

thanks
I dunno... I like the stance of 0 offset for better stability on uneven ground so i had a hey day with the Sawzall... I dunno why people are scared of cutting stuff that shouldn't be there anyway. -haha

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
My MPG are bad no matter what so my Daily Driver is now a Hayabusa that averages 2.5 gallons for the 110 miles I drive daily.
GSXR on steroids... Nice... I have always loved those bikes, but I'm not mature enough to own one haha... I'll stick to a 650 dual sport or even go back to an old kick start XL600 and maybe move up to 600 supersport one day.

I have stock wheels with lighter than stock tires at stock height and I average 10MPG, so on that same 2.5gal I wouldn't get very far.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
I dunno... I like the stance of 0 offset for better stability on uneven ground so i had a hey day with the Sawzall... I dunno why people are scared of cutting stuff that shouldn't be there anyway. -haha
Whenever I think of a nice wide stance, I think of CRU's setup. Those 18x10 with 33x13.5 look amazing.

http://www.clubarmada.com/forums/showthread.php?p=125874

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
@DrestonF1

How much lift are you looking for? I was looking for 2 inch, but ended up with 3.5 in the front and 3 in the rear (auto leveling maxed out to guarantee me this 3 inch in the rear). I am very happy with the 3 inch I ended up with, though that was not my original goal.

Do you have auto leveling? Oh, feel free to show us pics of your beast, if you do not mind. What trim and level do you have?

Based on the fact that you are going with larger tires, then you need clearance and the best and safest height you can have.
Well the issue is that (at this moment) I am still determined to fit in the garage. I have just about 4" of clearance left, so I figure a 2" lift with larger tires is as high as I go for now. I do not want to remove the roof rack rails.

This is just a short-term cheap project to see how I like the mini lift. I am seeking a new project M3 for the track and once that starts sometime next year, the Armada will be regulated to the drive way. Depending on how much I put into the M3 getting it where I want will dictate how soon I move on to the 6" Armada lift - which I LOVE the looks of but I've never had a lifted vehicle and I may not like it as much as I think I will. Hence, the mini lift first.

Yes to autoleveling (2011 Platinum). And to answer your questions on springs, maybe later but right now this is just a quick and cheap(er) project to keep me from being bored and going out and buying a Cayenne.

·
SHIFT_Moderator
12,991 Posts
Well the issue is that (at this moment) I am still determined to fit in the garage. I have just about 4" of clearance left, so I figure a 2" lift with larger tires is as high as I go for now. I do not want to remove the roof rack rails.

This is just a short-term cheap project to see how I like the mini lift. I am seeking a new project M3 for the track and once that starts sometime next year, the Armada will be regulated to the drive way. Depending on how much I put into the M3 getting it where I want will dictate how soon I move on to the 6" Armada lift - which I LOVE the looks of but I've never had a lifted vehicle and I may not like it as much as I think I will. Hence, the mini lift first.

Yes to autoleveling (2011 Platinum). And to answer your questions on springs, maybe later but right now this is just a quick and cheap(er) project to keep me from being bored and going out and buying a Cayenne.
Mine fit in a regular garage fine with a mini-lift... 305/55-20 & 325/60-18 are about the same diameter as the OEM tires. It wasn't until I put on the 6" Lift that I needed 7' clearance.

·
SHIFT_Moderator
12,991 Posts
GSXR on steroids... Nice... I have always loved those bikes, but I'm not mature enough to own one haha... I'll stick to a 650 dual sport or even go back to an old kick start XL600 and maybe move up to 600 supersport one day.

I have stock wheels with lighter than stock tires at stock height and I average 10MPG, so on that same 2.5gal I wouldn't get very far.
Haha... And I told CRU the same as here when he asked me about wheel / tire sizes to decide what to buy. ;)

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Mine fit in a regular garage fine with a mini-lift... 305/55-20 & 325/60-18 are about the same diameter as the OEM tires. It wasn't until I put on the 6" Lift that I needed 7' clearance.
How much rubbing is there with a 12-12.5" wide tire? Would having a big negative offset help at all?

·
Premium Member
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
I have received the new taller SE springs I ordered. I hope I can get it installed and do another alignment before my trip in 6 days which will be 11 hours made into 18 hours because of stopping at historical attractions along the day.

Road trip: Texas to Oklahoma to Missouri (OK to MI, staying on Historic Route 66 ONLY).

·
Premium Member
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
Today I got the chance to take my Armada in to get the rear spring swapped out for the stiffer SE springs. Comparing the oem moog springs for the LE with the stiffer moog springs for the Se, I could not easily tell a difference physically. But now that the springs are on the car I can definitely tell you that I fell it is stiffer than what was on there before it. And I have reduced auto leveling some, so it is not maxed out.

I drove only about 10 minutes to the closest firestone so I cannot tell much about how improved the handling in the rear has gotten. But s far, I think it is a wise thing to buy the stiffer SE springs for the rear if doing this lift.

My fronts is still at 3.5 inch lift and the rear is at 3 inch lift.

I am about to get another alignment and will see how it drives later on.

·
Premium Member
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #133

Moog replacement spring for the LE vs moog replacement spring for the SE

When they put down the truck, I measured 39. Which is still the 3 inch lift. I went under the vehicle and adjusted auto leveling. Drove around to let auto leveling kick in. I don't know if it did or not. But drove for about 3 minutes. Then went and paid and left the store and drove for 10 minutes to firestone. Waiting on my car to be alignment again now. Thank God for LIFETIME ALIGNMENT. $200 well spent.

·
Premium Member
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #134 (Edited)
Alignment done. This time this guy worked hard and got my rear right wheel to specs, but the left wheel is not in spec. But he says I should be ok. I am happy with the results.

·
Premium Member
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
After driving more than an hour to get home, I definitely will say the SE springs are better than the stock springs. Especially as I have reduced auto leveling from the max level. So, hitting bumps now the rear is not all over the place like before. Not a major improvement, but enough for me to be happy that auto leveling is not maxed out and the springs do feel stiffer.

The Armada is ready now for its long trip to Missouri for thanksgiving.

·
Premium Member
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
Looks like she's ready for another adventure..how's your alignment,bro?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I just double checked my alignment. It is all in specs. This guy did an awesome job. He did the alignment. Then took it for a test drive. Brought it and did some adjustments again. Then took it for another spin, then brought it back and got everything back. When I talked to him he said he called my Armada all names in the book as it truly gave him a tough time. But he did exactly what he knows how to do best and the front and rear are in specs.

He took a long time to do my alignment and I was going there and talking to him and taking pictures, lol. Because I have never taken my car for alignment and they do it and test drive it and take back again to be aligned. So, I am glad he did whatever he did and finally got it right.

Here are the results from my alignment today. Car drives better than with the oem replacement springs. I think anybody who wants to replace their springs should go with the SE springs.

I look forward to seeing how the car would handle on the long 11 hours trip to Missouri in a few days.

This is my alignment sheet for today

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
I just double checked my alignment. It is all in specs. This guy did an awesome job. He did the alignment. Then took it for a test drive. Brought it and did some adjustments again. Then took it for another spin, then brought it back and got everything back. When I talked to him he said he called my Armada all names in the book as it truly gave him a tough time. But he did exactly what he knows how to do best and the front and rear are in specs.

He took a long time to do my alignment and I was going there and talking to him and taking pictures, lol. Because I have never taken my car for alignment and they do it and test drive it and take back again to be aligned. So, I am glad he did whatever he did and finally got it right.

Here are the results from my alignment today. Car drives better than with the oem replacement springs. I think anybody who wants to replace their springs should go with the SE springs.

I look forward to seeing how the car would handle on the long 11 hours trip to Missouri in a few days.

This is my alignment sheet for today

You discovered a good mechanic,bro..i replaced my rear coil spring 2 yrs ago(from titanium coil spring to SE 4x4 rear coil),i got the reybestos.it's huge difference specially in cornering.about the shop,is this in pearland?what is the name of the shop and the mechanic to look ,for future use.tnx
I really like the white armada mine is smoke.

·
Premium Member
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
You discovered a good mechanic,bro..i replaced my rear coil spring 2 yrs ago(from titanium coil spring to SE 4x4 rear coil),i got the reybestos.it's huge difference specially in cornering.about the shop,is this in pearland?what is the name of the shop and the mechanic to look ,for future use.tnx
I really like the white armada mine is smoke.

Sorry for the late response. The shop is not in Pearland. It is an hour away from me. The guy who worked on my car is Tyler. When I got there, I told them that my car is lifted and I would like them to please get my Armada very well aligned. They then told me I was in luck because Tyler is at work today. So I asked who was Tyler and why am I lucky he is at work today. They said he is their best guy when it comes to doing alignments and that they are sure he would do a great job for me. And that is exactly what he did. I mean, it meant a lot when he did it and took the car for a spin and then came again and worked on it. That made me feel he knew what he was doing. He did say my Armada was tough to align because of the lift.

If you do go, make sure Tyler is at work. Atleast what I can say about him is that he did a great job on my Armada and I am happy. So, I hope you get the same experience if you go.

Here is the info;

Tel: 281-671-8716
Store # 679291
Firestone Complete Auto Care
6215 Fm 1960 Rd W
Houston, TX 77069-4001

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
Sorry for the late response. The shop is not in Pearland. It is an hour away from me. The guy who worked on my car is Tyler. When I got there, I told them that my car is lifted and I would like them to please get my Armada very well aligned. They then told me I was in luck because Tyler is at work today. So I asked who was Tyler and why am I lucky he is at work today. They said he is their best guy when it comes to doing alignments and that they are sure he would do a great job for me. And that is exactly what he did. I mean, it meant a lot when he did it and took the car for a spin and then came again and worked on it. That made me feel he knew what he was doing. He did say my Armada was tough to align because of the lift.

If you do go, make sure Tyler is at work. Atleast what I can say about him is that he did a great job on my Armada and I am happy. So, I hope you get the same experience if you go.

Here is the info;

Tel: 281-671-8716

Store # 679291

Firestone Complete Auto Care

6215 Fm 1960 Rd W

Houston, TX 77069-4001

Thanks a lot,bro..there are time that my armada is pulling a bit on right side and it might need an alignment.and been hunting for an alignment shop since my old mechanic friend left town.tnx bro

121 - 140 of 143 Posts