Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 2010 Platinum and noticed the door handle paint was faded off. The original silverish color looks like it has light tan marks all over it where the silver paint faded.

Does anyone know what touch up paint would match best or if some other type of paint (for the entire handle) would have good texture? If I repaint the entire handle, it would be painted black or silverish grey.

On another note, I have read a lot from this site and it has already helped with a lot.

Thanks for any and all help!

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
Take it back to the dealer and have them address under warranty it should not be fading or rubbing off.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The dealership says that it isn't covered as it is cosmetic. I purchased it as a certified pre-owned 2010 but extended the warranty to 100K.

·
SHIFT_Moderator
12,991 Posts
Checkout plastidip and see if it might be close to what you're looking for.

·
SHIFT_Moderator
12,991 Posts
Black is available at Home Depot & Lowes. Some Ace Hardware carry Red and Smoke. I think specific colors have to be ordered online though. It's cheap enough that it's worth playing with to see if you think it might work or not. The nice part is you can just scrub it off if you don't like it.

https://www.dipyourcar.com/

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Had the same issue, but since I was confident in my plastic painting skills I decided to paint them myself.

Items:

1. 420 grit sand paper
  2. Duplicolor Paint Adhesive for Plastic
  3. Rustoleum Gloss Satin Black paint
  4. Rustoleum Clear Coat
  5. Newspaper
  6. Cardboard
  7. Alcohol
Here's the before driver's door handle (worst one):

Here's what it looks like compared to one I had sanded off:

Hardest part was sanding. The 420 grit sand paper made short work of the existing black material, but in hindsight I would have sanded again with a finer grit to remove the scratches the 420 Grit put in. They aren't that noticeable, but I'm a perfectionist who notices these things.

I'll post the finished product shortly.

Reactions: G00fySmiley

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Here's the finished product:

The hard part with an odd shaped piece like this is even paint distribution over the part while you're spraying. You also have to pay special attention to get the connection to the door properly painted as well, which is another area paint can start to run if you aren't careful:

Interestingly enough the Rustoleum Satin Black I used looks more gray in color and almost looks identical to some interior trim pieces except for the fact that I went with a higher gloss for the clear coat. Perhaps another repaint project will result from this:

Reactions: G00fySmiley

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
Wow that’s fantastic craftsmanship!

I never seem to have luck with spray paint. Either the can globs some spray out or it eventually peels. I do the prep work and use a primer but it rarely lasts for long.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
looks awesome. mine has the same chipping, 2010 titanium. i will have to add this to the list of things to do. might do a more gunmetal metallic and will shoot through an airbrush but looks great!

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Wow that’s fantastic craftsmanship!

I never seem to have luck with spray paint. Either the can globs some spray out or it eventually peels. I do the prep work and use a primer but it rarely lasts for long.
Sorry for the delayed response.

I always let my paint can sit in a warm bucket of water, and then dry them with a microfiber towel before spraying (water is the mortal enemy of paint!) That usually stops the globs. You also need to spray it the first time on cardboard to check for globing issues. Also, when they say shake for 60 seconds they mean it! And always shake between sprays at least 15 seconds.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: toname

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Sorry for the delayed response.

I always let my paint can sit in a warm bucket of water, and then dry them with a microfiber towel before spraying (water is the mortal enemy of paint!) That usually stops the globs. You also need to spray it the first time on cardboard to check for globing issues. Also, when they say shake for 60 seconds they mean it! And always shake between sprays at least 15 seconds.

Hope that helps.
Wow you did such an awesome job on those door handles. Do you care to do more? What's your price? 😆 JK. But your work is exceptional 👍👍👍💯💯💯👏👏👏

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Wow you did such an awesome job on those door handles. Do you care to do more? What's your price? JK. But your work is exceptional
All starts with good paint. I'm painting my running boards that exact same color. Fingers crossed!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: toname
1 - 13 of 13 Posts