Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are seriously considering the new Armada but were VERY surprised by a newly released JD power dependability study in which Nissan fared pretty poorly (just google 2017 JD Power dependability study)...24th out of 36 ranked. Niissan had a 173 score (higher is worse, more incidents) as compared to Toyota's 123. Even more surprising Infiniti was 3rd from last. They don't break it down by vehicle however. So I'd like to hear from Armada owners directly....how has your experience been with quality/reliability? Given it's a Japanese design/made vehicle I would expect it to do very well, unlike the survey showed. Appreciate your feedback!

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
I've had an infiniti qx4 and now a qx56. they both were full of problems. everytime i fix something on on the qx56 something else breaks. I'll never buy a nissan or infiniti again. I've spent less in 7 years on my 03 f150 than i've spent in the last 6 months on my 06 QX56.

Buy a toyota.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ouch, 79 views and only one negative response....not a real confidence builder thus far, so maybe JD Power's report is on to something... We've had very good luck with our 2009 Z71 Tahoe (186K miles); hate to have two in the garage but sure don't want to buy an unreliable money pit...Please chime in if you have any experience one way or the other with Armadas. thx!

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Can't speak from experience and I'm not sure I have faith in JD Power ratings. I keep seeing advertisements from various automakers citing their superior JD Power rating. I question JD Power because it seems like too many cars are getting A+ ratings. While my '17 Armada is my first new Nissan after 35 years owning various new Honda models, I've never heard widespread negative negative remarks about Nissan reliability. About 10 years ago, I did buy a '96 Nissan Quest minivan for my sister-in-law and it lasted well over 350,000 miles without issues before the transmission started acting up.

Hmm...Nissan looks like it's has just average reliability according to Consumer Reports (http://www.consumerreports.org/car-reliability/car-brands-reliability-how-they-stack-up/)

Just don't know.....I'm happy though...

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
I know you are asking about the new Armada but maybe my story of the legacy Armada will be helpful.
We have put 140,000 miles on our Armada in almost 9 years and I am torn between giving it an amazing review and giving it an average review.
We have had a couple issues with it but thanks to this forum none of the issues have been stressful.
When I look back on the issues I remind myself that it was the least expensive in the 1/2 ton SUV class.
If it cost more, I would be upset.

-Blue paint from 2008 was pathetic, so many chips that you just don't see on a Toyota or a Chevy with similar miles.
-Defective brake booster should have been a recall but it wasn't.... cost me a $1,000 or so to fix with brand new part.
-Spiral cable that connects steering wheel buttons to the car is going bad. (Have not fixed yet)
-Some small fluid leaks that were covered under the original warranty
-A few more small leaks that happened after the warranty (easy fixes)
-Very expensive plastic overhead console broke for no reason. (Never fixed it, just added better hardware and live with it)
-Added better front shocks (Bilstein's not very expensive)
-Front end developed a squeak (swaybar bushing, very inexpensive)
-Rear hatch does not always unlock ($100 part , easy to fix)
-Headlights look all sun faded and yellow

I change the usual fluids & filters and replace the battery & tires & brakes & wipers & spark plugs & belt when needed. She starts up every morning, still looks great from a distance and still pulls my 30' boat trailer with ease.

In summary:
Pretty amazing SUV for $40K If it cost $60K or more I would feel ripped off. (Adjust those 2008 dollars a little higher to relate to the 2017 full size SUV market )

·
Premium Member
3,227 Posts
Keep in mind the JD Power survey includes all Nissan's, and is typically aimed at 90 day satisfaction. Having said that, have you driven a Nissan Versa, Sentra, or Altima lately? Nissan has not kept up with the rest in that regard. The new style Maxima is a bit better, if you can get by the awful nose styling.

Armada reliability is decent. But, I'd bet if you went on a similar forum for Chevy Tahoe, and you'll hear tons of horror stories about those trucks as well.....transmissions that go out around 90K, etc.

If you're looking for a 1/2 ton SUV at a reasonable price, I don't think you can do better than the Armada.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Check this out from consumer reports. Ford, Chevy, GMC, and Cadillac are all lower reliability than Nissan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
I've had several Nissans in the past, as well as many other types of cars. Nissan is by far the best value/$ brand in my experience.

As far as JD Power, Consumer Reports, etc. I would say that manufacturers are paying for their ratings. Depending on the rating service, it seems like certain brands are promoted. Do I have specific evidence to this? No. But having looked at these things year after year, they just make no real sense.

I have NEVER had a major problem with any Nissan I've ever owned as of yet (still own a 2011 4x4 Titan and the 2017 4x4 SL Armada.)

My Armada doesn't have any issues besides: the paint isn't perfect and I have a few chips (Titan was the same,) that shouldn't be happening. They are tiny, like 1/16" and there are a handful of them (3-7?), but damn for a $50k+ car... and, the bluetooth is moody. In my Armada, if you bond a phone/audio device - the last one (paired) pairs easily, but I have issues pairing other devices that were paired earlier. If I mess around, restart phone, etc. I can get them to bond - but it should just work... Remote start is very weak and I have to try it a few times sometimes to get it to work. Disappointed by all three, but really minor issues to me considering the cost and what I got for my $. I would wager I can out tow, race, & off-road anything in it's class.

Other than that, no problems with the new Armada. It is a beast! That new VK56 motor oozes power. Way more powerful than anything in it's class (Tahoe, Escalade, Sequoia, etc.) I've only used the 4wd once, in some sand, and it had zero issues - very capable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts