Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

My Armada 06 has developed an intermittent 'juddering' when driving or more especially when accelerating. It almost feels like it wants to stall but the engine never dies and the rev counter dosent move.

The car feels down on power especially when going from the mid range to high revs. I have to push the accelerator down quite far when doing around 50/60 mph to get some speed up. When stopped but in drive I can feel the engine 'bumping' every few seconds - but not every time. When in neutral the 'bumping' is there but not as noticeable.

This problem has developed since I very nearly ran out of fuel the other day. When I did fill up the fuel gauge went up very slowly to the full mark - it took maybe 20 mins before showing full.

I suspect that the fuel filter has been clogged with all the gunk from nearly running the car dry. I don't want to damage the car by driving it like this.

Can anyone confirm if it is the fuel filter or something else? Perhaps its transmission related?

I have read you need to remove the rear seats to access the fuel tank and service the fuel filter - sound time consuming?

Sorry for the long post!
;)

·
Premium Member
1,582 Posts
The first thing I would do is take a look at the fuel pump.
Yes you can access the fuel pump under the seat/carpet but it's not as time consumming
as dropping the gas tank.:D

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Technically the truck doesn't have a serviceable fuel filter. There is a strainer on the pump/sender assy. I would check that to make sure you dont have crap in the screen.

You know its beyond me why nissan did away with inline filters. Well I do know why but its not a good reason.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi - thanks for your replies.

Turns out this was not related to the fuel filter or pump.

The guys at the garage replaced the ignition coils / spark plugs / air filter - all working 100% now!

Thanks for your help...

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
i have a similar problem in my recently bought 05 armada as well. although no code was thrown and the dealer gave it back to me unable to duplicate the bogging/bucking/studdering/hesitation and with no code. within 10 minutes off the dealers lot it started again so im going back today. did yours throw a code when you had this issue?

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i have a similar problem in my recently bought 05 armada as well. although no code was thrown and the dealer gave it back to me unable to duplicate the bogging/bucking/studdering/hesitation and with no code. within 10 minutes off the dealers lot it started again so im going back today. did yours throw a code when you had this issue?
No codes shown with this problem. Good luck with it...

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
No codes shown with this problem. Good luck with it...
tell me about it... im pretty certain its a transmission problem at this point, which is the direction i told the dealer to look into. it wont happen when the tranny is cold, but once it is up to about 2/3rds (maybe a little higher) on the temp gauge (it has the tow package) and you keep it there for about 10-15 minutes it starts to act up. i took the service manager for a ride and he couldnt believe how bad it was (they previously thought i was full of **** since they werent able to duplicate the problem that i explained to them). he apologized for giving me back the vehicle without them finding the problem. even after i told them that they will need to block off the tranny cooler (its bitter cold up in ny this week) and drive it for about 45 minutes or so on slow backroads until it acts up, they still are having problems duplicating it. the service manager told me the actual mechanic needs to experience the problem himself since it isnt throwing any codes. not sure if its the valve body, the computer in the tranny or the whole freaking thing.. ill keep this thread updated.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
tell me about it... im pretty certain its a transmission problem at this point, which is the direction i told the dealer to look into. it wont happen when the tranny is cold, but once it is up to about 2/3rds (maybe a little higher) on the temp gauge (it has the tow package) and you keep it there for about 10-15 minutes it starts to act up. i took the service manager for a ride and he couldnt believe how bad it was (they previously thought i was full of **** since they werent able to duplicate the problem that i explained to them). he apologized for giving me back the vehicle without them finding the problem. even after i told them that they will need to block off the tranny cooler (its bitter cold up in ny this week) and drive it for about 45 minutes or so on slow backroads until it acts up, they still are having problems duplicating it. the service manager told me the actual mechanic needs to experience the problem himself since it isnt throwing any codes. not sure if its the valve body, the computer in the tranny or the whole freaking thing.. ill keep this thread updated.
Any updates on this?

I am having similar issues with my '04 LE. I get studder/hestitation at about 2k rpm and the truck just seems to fall on its face. It got so bad at one point I was barely able to get it off the road as it would only rev to bout 1500 rpm.

I shut the truck off and let it sit while I popped the hood to have a look. I didn't see anything obvious so I started it up (it started a little rough) than drove it and the problem was gone. About 5 minutes later down the road the issue came back. I tried shutting it off and turning it back on (it started fine this time) but, that didn't solve it. I put it into reverse to back up than into drive and it seemed ok.

At this point I'm really stumped. I drove it another 10 minutes and it seemed fun so I decided to punch it to see if I could get it to duplicate the studder. The studder was still there and the motor just wouldn't build rpm.

Very, very strange. The transmission seems to be shifting fine, at least under light load (driving like a grandma). I'm wondering if its a faulty coil or possible dirty injector(s).

I checked the trans fluid and it looked good (i just drained/refilled it a few months ago).

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Through some more research of the archives, I saw someone mention the cats. Apparently this can be an issues with cats that have failed or are failing once they are heated up. The poster had a similar issue and complained of the issue after a long drive. A few others saw similar issues and replaced the cats and the problem was gone.

I've noticed my issue shows up when I've been driving for sometime and its hot outside as well. A failed cat wouldn't cause the issue from a mechanical aspect but, a sensor may pick this up and could possible trigger some sort of limp mode.

My cats are original (just about to hit 100k) so its definitely something I'm going to look into. I'll check it tomorrow morning on my way to work to see if the issue is still there.

The other possibility was a failing fuel pump. Apparently there is a TSB out for the fuel pumps, at least the earlier ones. I'm going to check my VIN with the dealer to see if it was done on my truck.

Thing about the cats is that I noticed a slight hesitation while trail riding at Rausch Creek a few weeks back. It was really hot temperature wise and we had been on the trails for about 5 hours...

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Through some more research of the archives, I saw someone mention the cats. Apparently this can be an issues with cats that have failed or are failing once they are heated up. The poster had a similar issue and complained of the issue after a long drive. A few others saw similar issues and replaced the cats and the problem was gone.

I've noticed my issue shows up when I've been driving for sometime and its hot outside as well. A failed cat wouldn't cause the issue from a mechanical aspect but, a sensor may pick this up and could possible trigger some sort of limp mode.

My cats are original (just about to hit 100k) so its definitely something I'm going to look into. I'll check it tomorrow morning on my way to work to see if the issue is still there.

The other possibility was a failing fuel pump. Apparently there is a TSB out for the fuel pumps, at least the earlier ones. I'm going to check my VIN with the dealer to see if it was done on my truck.

Thing about the cats is that I noticed a slight hesitation while trail riding at Rausch Creek a few weeks back. It was really hot temperature wise and we had been on the trails for about 5 hours...
It may not be your cats, but I would keep an eye on them since your at 100k. Your problem and symptoms are more related to the ECU relay recall, where the relay starts to act up and causes the truck to fall flat on its face while accelerating, so make sure your truck has received the updated ECU relay. As for the fuel pump, it is actually the fuel sending unit that is attached to the fuel pump that is changed, not the pump, it can give a false reading of how much fuel you have in the tank.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
My issue seems to be temperature related leading me to believe it's a bricked cat (or two). I'm currently on a trip and am towing. Once we hit the mountains the problem started but, this was over an hour into the trip. After stopping for about 20 minutes at a rest stop the problem was no longer there.

Once the temperature is into the cats the problem slowly surfaces again.

If it was an electrical issue I think the problem would be less consistent and not ad easily repeatable. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
After seeing that you had the ecu relay changed, I am in agreement with you with the cats possibly being the cause of your problem. One easy way of seeing if that is the problem, turn on the vehicle let it get to temp, place your hand in front of the tail pipe and feel the exhaust coming out, you will feel it, now after driving for an extended period feel the exhaust again, if your cats are starting to get clogged, you will feel less exhaust flow coming from the tail pipe, and it should not feel as hot.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm so glad I found this. I'm having the same issue with my 04 Armada. I bought it in August and it had 107k miles on it. Had to bring it back to dealer a couple weeks later because I couldn't fill the tank without gas spitting back at me. They fixed that and fast forward to today, I'm having that hesitation. Now I'm not sure if my cats are original or not, I'll have to have that looked into. Anything I should be looking into regarding the hesitation while accelerating?

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
I have an 05 armada and it would seem I'm having the same problem as you guys. Initially it would start if I tried to accelerate hard and it would lurch / judder . Earlier this year I was towing some lumber in my trailer I was in tow mode as well as having cruise control on and my speed dropped from 115kmh to 80 kmh and it would not accelerate except just judder as if the engine was trying to seize so I pulled over lifted the hood and let it cool off, while doing that I was checking for leaks etc , none found. Took it to the dealer, they couldn't replicate the problem. They advised that I might want to start looking for another vehicle but to start of with changing the filter in the transmission which I did. Then today it happened again and I managed to pull over and again lifted the hood to let it cool and when I filled up on the way home I lifted the hood again to let it cool down. whilst driving I had it cruise control gauges didn't give any sign of over heating. Going to change the pressure relief valve behind the oil filter this weekend oh joy. Be fore I forget I have had no codes as well, beginning to think my transmission is on its way out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an 05 armada and it would seem I'm having the same problem as you guys. Initially it would start if I tried to accelerate hard and it would lurch / judder . Earlier this year I was towing some lumber in my trailer I was in tow mode as well as having cruise control on and my speed dropped from 115kmh to 80 kmh and it would not accelerate except just judder as if the engine was trying to seize so I pulled over lifted the hood and let it cool off, while doing that I was checking for leaks etc , none found. Took it to the dealer, they couldn't replicate the problem. They advised that I might want to start looking for another vehicle but to start of with changing the filter in the transmission which I did. Then today it happened again and I managed to pull over and again lifted the hood to let it cool and when I filled up on the way home I lifted the hood again to let it cool down. whilst driving I had it cruise control gauges didn't give any sign of over heating. Going to change the pressure relief valve behind the oil filter this weekend oh joy. Be fore I forget I have had no codes as well, beginning to think my transmission is on its way out.
Hi, hv 04 infiniti QX56, oil pressure guage pegs max, u mentioned pressure relief behind oil cooler, could that be my problem or jst a bad guage, since rpm is not working and part of dash lights faded out, plz let me know how the relief valve goes for you.
Thank you

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well it's in limp mode. I'm actually checking the valve body A/T harness. And cleaning the valve body. With Acetone solvent.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Hi, hv 04 infiniti QX56, oil pressure guage pegs max, u mentioned pressure relief behind oil cooler, could that be my problem or jst a bad guage, since rpm is not working and part of dash lights faded out, plz let me know how the relief valve goes for you.
Thank you
will do. doing the work today having problems trying to get the actual valve body out , a guy on youtube explains how he did it . Look up Hitch hitch and he explains how he did it.

will do. doing the work today having problems trying to get the actual valve body out , a guy on youtube explains how he did it . Look up Hitch hitch and he explains how he did it.
I'Ve replaced the oil pressure relief valve and it seems to be ok . At the moment I haven't taken it for a good run yet . I had a transmission shop have a look at the vehicle , they plugged in a tablet to scan for codes , no codes came up . They did say it could be 1 of 2 problems 1, coil packs or 2, torque converter. Ive just got to drive and see if the problem starts again and gets worse. At the moment i'm thinking of changing all the coil packs or installing an external cooler for the transmission bypassing the one built in to the radiator. Its a wait see moment and and I don't want to waste money by just throwing parts at if its not needed but the external oil cooler for the transmission might be worth doing as it deletes the problem when it fails and starts sucking in coolant into the transmission, from what i've seen on youtube its solved different problems for people
Regarding you're pressure gauge have you tested or replaced it also it might be worth changing the filter in the transmission first and make sure you measure the fluid that you drained so you know how much to replace if that doesn't do anything then change the relief valve. Be warned its a pain in the butt, to some people they had no problem. others like me had a problem , just be patient if you do it

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ya bypass radiator to external cooler is a must, i need to do that also and thank you

1 - 20 of 20 Posts