Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

101 - 120 of 145 Posts

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
I just had the NTB17-016E update yesterday. Dealer suggested it would help. Too early to tell if much changed. Will report back soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
When did the transmission issues start appearing for you guys. I only got 600 miles on mine but it drives great. I’m paying close attention to the RPM’s and waiting for harsher shifts but so far all is good.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
I think if you have a newer Armada they already applied the updated software so you should be ok. I had one of the first ones back in Oct of 2016. My transmission was wonky from the start. After getting the update a few weeks ago, I noticed a difference immediately.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
I noticed the issue within the first 1000 miles. I bought mine in November 2016.

The latest update has helped. Albeit I only have driven it 50 miles, it shifts much smoother. The low acceleration flutter is much better. Good update. However, I felt the same after the last software update until it reverted back to doing it again. Time will tell. I have to tow with it this next week. That will be telling.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
After having owned my Armada since 11/16 the tranny had always been wonky. Slow speed shifts between 3 and 4 would almost always cause the tach to bounce. It got to the point where I was flooring it just to make sure it didnt bog down. I had been watching the TitanTalk forums as they were having the same issue. TSB B/C/D came out with Titan owners still complaining. Finally E came out and others were finally saying after 5k or more miles it was fixed. I took my Armada in on 2/2/18 for an oil changed and asked my dealer please due this TSB. I referenced NTB17-016E and said this issue is the only thing I don't like about this truck. Dealer had no issues and did as I requested. Now the Armada is a completely different animal. It has fixed all tranny issues and feels/acts as expected all the time. Nissan appears to have finally fixed this nagging issue and I suggest all Armada owners to get this flash done ASAP!

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Agreed Sarcoptic! I just got this done last week and it has made a huge difference. Its been peppy! I am loving how it drives now. Hope it stays this way. Very happy!

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Sarcoptic - I too was one of the early buyers of the Armada (Oct of 2016), and had the same transmission issues.

Still love the car, and I would characterize the tranny issues as more of an annoyance than anything. It does the thing others have commented on where the tac is jumpy around 40-50 mph even when constant pressure applied on throttle.

Anyway, I figured there would be a TSB at some point and just logged into this site today to find this thread. Very helpful!

My question is if I call the dealer to have the TSB done, do they just do the “e” version, or would they need to do the previous “a” and “c” versions too? I’m assuming it would just be “e” but want to check with those of you who have had it done.

And do I ask for both the TSB and the ECM updates, or just the TSB?

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
They should go straight to "e" as it's the most current. It should include any/all reprogramming necessary of the TCM and ECM. I was a late 2016 owner and got this update done (straight to "e") a few months ago. It's been a beast ever since. As I think I mentioned before, it's like it should've been from day 1. If it works as well for you as it did me, you'll realize those instances were more than just an annoyance. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Hi All....I've been following this thread for a couple months but I now need some advice. I had the jumpy tach at 40-50 mph, hesitations upon ascending hills, hesitations upon making slowed down right hand turns (Not quite a complete stop), slow to go at a light....etc I took it in at about 8k miles and they did the latest TSB update "e". My problem now after another 2k miles is that I have had the jumpy tach only twice, but now I have a horrible shifting issue. I can barely accelerate at a light and the dang thing sounds like I'm flooring it (3-4k RPMS) at 20-30mph, I still get hesitation every now and then when making a right turn, in a merging fashion. I've gone to pull out in front of a vehicle that was a safe distance, but the car hesitated! I had to push the gas pedal quite hard for it to go. It was only a second, but scary and it should not do that. I have returned to the dealership only for them to have it 2 days and tell me the car drives fine. What would your advice be for the next step? Try another dealership? The service manager was one of the people who told me it drove fine.

It just isn't the same vehicle it was before the update. It seems worse to me especially with the revving tach at 20-30 mph.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Hi All....I've been following this thread for a couple months but I now need some advice. I had the jumpy tach at 40-50 mph, hesitations upon ascending hills, hesitations upon making slowed down right hand turns (Not quite a complete stop), slow to go at a light....etc I took it in at about 8k miles and they did the latest TSB update "e". My problem now after another 2k miles is that I have had the jumpy tach only twice, but now I have a horrible shifting issue. I can barely accelerate at a light and the dang thing sounds like I'm flooring it (3-4k RPMS) at 20-30mph, I still get hesitation every now and then when making a right turn, in a merging fashion. I've gone to pull out in front of a vehicle that was a safe distance, but the car hesitated! I had to push the gas pedal quite hard for it to go. It was only a second, but scary and it should not do that. I have returned to the dealership only for them to have it 2 days and tell me the car drives fine. What would your advice be for the next step? Try another dealership? The service manager was one of the people who told me it drove fine.

It just isn't the same vehicle it was before the update. It seems worse to me especially with the revving tach at 20-30 mph.

Something I’ve noticed, when turning and accelerating from a stop is the traction control trying to hard to not slip the tires. I frequently have to cross a 4 lane road in heavy traffic and when the TC is on it bogs down to prevent slipping. When off it fired right up and goes where I want it. I recommend trying that as it worked well for me when driving in heavy traffic trying to pull onto the road and when making right turns (assuming I give it to much gas during the sharper turn, never had a problem turning left). Hopefully that will work for the hesitation piece. I’ve never had the fluctuating tach so I can’t speak to that. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
So, my Armada allegedly received the TCM/ECU update (NTB17-016E) but I'm not crazy about it. What I observe now is that the car operates like it's permanently in tow mode. In fact, if I put it in tow mode there is no difference in shift timing through the early gears. That is, it seems like it just stays in each gear longer. Once it gets into the higher gears it is still doing the weird thing where it pulses around 1100 RPM's.

Is this what others are experiencing? Any idea if a new TCM or ECU update has been released?

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
2017 Armada Transmission Shifting Issues

Another post I’m making about what I consider to be another Nissan design failure. Transmission always searching for the right gear. Runs pretty good when driven hard, but under normal driving conditions, the trans just cannot synch with the engine. Especially when driving relatively slow and coming up on a slight hill. The transmission normally forces the engine to lug for a few seconds before it figures out it should downshift. Sometimes the engine RPMs waver a couple hundred RPMs when it’s near time to shift. I’m sure it’s affecting gas mileage and certainly the driving enjoyment, not to mention my perception of Nissan’s engineering. I even took the vehicle in to the dealer and they acknowledged the issue and said their laptop said there was an engine and transmission ECM update and after 2 hrs, I had them updated. It improved the lugging a bit and runs quicker under pressure, but still searches for gears. I hope Nissan gets this fixed, but until enough of us owners complain, we will have to live with it.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Is this happening with all years or just the 2017? I have a 2013 not many miles on it (38,000) and thinking about trading later this year on either an Armada or QX80. My 2013 platinum 4x4 has been a good vehicle other than the bump steer issue the first generation Armadas had.

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
2015 Armada Platinum 41K Runs like a Cheetah so far still impressed and happy with this suv.. No Transmission stutter.

Reactions: marctronixx

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Ditto with my 2013, pretty smooth. Before this vehicle I had an Expedition 2008 and I think it had a 7 speed transmission. I found it annoying driving in the city on freeway without using cruise control. When going up a hill it would dog down and then finally shift up a gear or two. Seemed like it took forever to down shift. But when the cruise control was engaged, no problem. It would shift seamlessly, obviously the computers could talk to each other when cruise control was on, not the case when using foot.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Interesting to see more people with the issue since all newer Armadas should have automatically had the "e" update done. I have an early 2017 and ever since the update to "e" it's been fantastic. The only real complaints I have about my truck are 1. the gas mileage (but I knew that going in it was a trade-off; it's a 3-ton tank that's pretty darn fast) and 2. the nav/entertainment tech (so old and lame especially for this price and how nice the rest of the interior is).

As for the before-2017 owner (first gens), this transmission issue won't affect you as you have a different set-up.

101 - 120 of 145 Posts