Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

121 - 140 of 145 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Interesting to see more people with the issue since all newer Armadas should have automatically had the "e" update done. I have an early 2017 and ever since the update to "e" it's been fantastic. The only real complaints I have about my truck are 1. the gas mileage (but I knew that going in it was a trade-off; it's a 3-ton tank that's pretty darn fast) and 2. the nav/entertainment tech (so old and lame especially for this price and how nice the rest of the interior is).

As for the before-2017 owner (first gens), this transmission issue won't affect you as you have a different set-up.
Jcross13, thx, what does the “e” update mean? Is it a specific software ECM update to the trans? My dealer updated both my engines ECM and the trans as well, and yes, fast as hell for a heavy SUV, but the trans still searches for a gear occasionally when at the cusp of needing to downshift.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
I have had this same issue with both of my previous Pathfinders (2013, 2015). With the first one, when I took it to the dealer and told them what it was doing, they said they couldn't replicate it and they didn't do anything. After researching in some forums, I saw that this has been a problem with the Nissan CVTs since they started using it with the 3.5L engine (Altimas and Pathfinders). I took it back to the dealer with more info and this time they told me that they had a tech that new about the problem and could reproduce it. He put a computer on it to capture the performance while he drove it ( I was with him) and then sent the results to Nissan who decided the next day that I qualified for a new transmission since the updates didn't work. They put in a new 2015 CVT and it felt different, a little stiffer if that makes any sense, but the problem lessened. It went from a judder like the wheels were falling off, to the occasional fluttering talked about here. We eventually traded it in on a new 215 Pathfinder and it had the same problems. We kind of just overlooked it and learned that if you give it more gas, it performs fine; if you are easy on the accelerator, it shifts to early causing the engine to lug, then it doesn't know which gear it wants to be in. I think it was Nissans way of trying to improve gas mileage be making the CVT shift earlier when it isn't under a load or being pushed hard. I have now noticed that the Armada does the same thing and plan on asking the dealer to install the update when I take it in Monday for a BCI Malfunction. Since it now has 35,000 miles on it and the warranty is getting ready to expire, we may just trade it in on a new 2018...we'll see.

Someone on the Pathfinder forums told me that if you drive it like you stole it, you will never notice the problem, its only when you drive it like a Grandma that you will feel it.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Jcross13, thx, what does the “e” update mean? Is it a specific software ECM update to the trans? My dealer updated both my engines ECM and the trans as well, and yes, fast as hell for a heavy SUV, but the trans still searches for a gear occasionally when at the cusp of needing to downshift.
It just designates how current of an update was made. The # in the Nissan system for this tranny issue stayed the same but as the actual computer programming was updated, they kept track by adding A, B, C... to the end of it. The last one I know of (and was also what was done to my truck), was version E.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
I’m cracking up about the driving it like a Granma comment...I do drive that way often...LOL..and I think you’re right about the programming designed to improve MPG. Tech at my dealer mentioned that.

Thanks for the other update on what “e” was, I’ll have to check what version I got back in the spring of ‘18.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
I had this same issue and the dealer said mine had an ECM and Transmission update that ONLY is evident after connecting their laptop to the engine. The update helped with the shifting and lugging, but did not fix it completely—it stills shifts a bit erratically and the engine RPMs are still jumpy at slow speeds. Good news is it seems to have been a performance enhancing update because it now shifts at higher RPMs (seems super fast now), esp off the line, but gas mileage was affected slightly.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
I went in for an oil change last weekend and asked about the newest TSB for the tranny problems. I had one the earlier versions done last year and it seemed to help every so slightly but it eventually reverted back to it's old ways. This time the service tech said they have to do a ride a long to see for themselves which I appreciate but also don't understand being they already did the earlier update and know I have had problems previously. Hopefully I can do that this week but they also want me to leave the vehicle with them overnight because they said they would want to inspect it while the tranny is still cold.

One question I have for everyone - what kind of gas mileage is everyone getting? I knew going into it that the gas mileage was not going to be great and was completely okay with it. We love the car and everything about it (minus the transmission issue) so it was a non-issue. BUT...I feel that since I got that first ECM update my MPG's have suffered. Did anyone else experience this? Maybe it's normal for our style of driving but I feel like we should get slightly better than we are. I wouldn't say I have a lead foot but at the same time I'm not poking around. In town the computer shows us at around 12 mpg. I can't say for sure as I forgot to look last trip we took but I think on the hwy the computer has us around 15 mpg. Just curious where that falls with everyone else.

I'll keep you updated on what happens with the transmission update and what the dealership says when I am able to get it in. Thanks for any input as well if anyone has anything to add or any suggestions.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Your MPGs sound on par with what I am getting in my 2011. One thing that I have noticed is that if I increase the air pressure in the tires is has a significant impact on MPGs. Air up your tires. These vehicles are heavy.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Your MPGs sound on par with what I am getting in my 2011. One thing that I have noticed is that if I increase the air pressure in the tires is has a significant impact on MPGs. Air up your tires. These vehicles are heavy.
Good thought on checking air pressure. I'll look at that for sure. And like I said, I came into the Armada expecting crappy mileage but wanted to see if that was on pay with other owners. I felt like somewhere around 13-14 was more normal but maybe only if you really take it easy all the time and really try to achieve it. Thanks for your suggestion!

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
My gas mileage suffered a bit too, by I average 16.9 all around. Not bad for the performance. My trans still shifts poorly when driven “mildly”, it just does not want to downshift sometimes and lugs the motor “sometimes” and when it does change gears, there’s an unnecessary and slight RPM jump.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
I have an ‘18 (rwd) that we have racked up 24k miles on already. I used to average about 19mpg (calculated, the Armada was saying 20+) but lived in eastern NM where we were typically cruising at 55-65 mph and very little city driving. Now, we live outside Sacramento and average 16mpg (calculated, Armada says 17+). I tend to drive it soft footed but my wife doesn’t, and she works out of the vehicle so it idles a lot. Between the 2 of us it’s still better than our 1st gen Honda Pilot. Never had the tranny issues so never received any tech updates (I think it was ironed out by the time we purchased ours...or we got lucky). I really think the MPG is more based on how you drive it. The only time I really get on it is when getting on the highway and I am happy with what we get. I am gonna make sure the tire pressure is set to max this weekend and see if we get an increase over the next full gas tank. I’ll update when I get a good calculation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
I have fixed the jumpy transmission by ECU software modification (changed the timing, air, torque in the ECU my myself)

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
C'mon now, you've got to give us more than that.
How did you do it?
What tools did you need?
Etc. etc. etc.
Give us more information.
It's quite easy. As I have a supercharger installed, I had to do a full ECU remapping.
There are not much maps open for the Nissan Patrol/Armada, but you can use UpRev, Bitedit, WinOLS, Alientech to access the software and tune it.
Due to the supercharger installation I had to tune the air, fuel and timing etc. to get maximum performance from the engine, or get it at least even running...
But, unfortunately, the transmission was getting more and more jumpy with the performance increase, and started slipping after 650 bhp.
The transmission is mostly affected by the Torque map of the engine, so this values had to be quite accurate.
For the stock Armada/Patrol they are, but there are several other maps affecting the environmental parameters of the car, bad fuel quality etc. which have a higher priority in the Ecu that the optimal torque transferred to the transmission control module (TCM).
So, if you drastically reduce the values in this torque map (they are 4 of them to be honest) the TCM will move the cluches further away, use lower pressure and they will slip when starting, on gear changes and in full load.
If you increase the values to much- the gear changes will be early and also very firm.
So to improved the driveability without access to the TCM (have not found any solution for TCM access in this car) you can try to work with the trouqe map in the ranges where you need to have an improvement.

Additional the transmission is working a lot better after the stage 1 ECU tuning and an additional oil cooler, thermostat (have taken one from the Audi R8 for 20$) and filter installation (taken form Mercedes Unimog)- the best temperature is about 80C/176F as the transmission fluid is done after 12 000 miles (mine attached after 12 000 miles).

If you have some questions left- let me know)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
It's quite easy. As I have a supercharger installed, I had to do a full ECU remapping.
There are not much maps open for the Nissan Patrol/Armada, but you can use UpRev, Bitedit, WinOLS, Alientech to access the software and tune it.
Due to the supercharger installation I had to tune the air, fuel and timing etc. to get maximum performance from the engine, or get it at least even running...
But, unfortunately, the transmission was getting more and more jumpy with the performance increase, and started slipping after 650 bhp.
The transmission is mostly affected by the Torque map of the engine, so this values had to be quite accurate.
For the stock Armada/Patrol they are, but there are several other maps affecting the environmental parameters of the car, bad fuel quality etc. which have a higher priority in the Ecu that the optimal torque transferred to the transmission control module (TCM).
So, if you drastically reduce the values in this torque map (they are 4 of them to be honest) the TCM will move the cluches further away, use lower pressure and they will slip when starting, on gear changes and in full load.
If you increase the values to much- the gear changes will be early and also very firm.
So to improved the driveability without access to the TCM (have not found any solution for TCM access in this car) you can try to work with the trouqe map in the ranges where you need to have an improvement.

Additional the transmission is working a lot better after the stage 1 ECU tuning and an additional oil cooler, thermostat (have taken one from the Audi R8 for 20$) and filter installation (taken form Mercedes Unimog)- the best temperature is about 80C/176F as the transmission fluid is done after 12 000 miles (mine attached after 12 000 miles).

If you have some questions left- let me know)
Like they always say, "be careful what you ask for, you just might get it".

Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
I have a 2018 with these same symptoms. I didn't realize there was a such thing as a software update. The SUV drives much different than anything else I have ever driven so I am hoping there is a software update or something that can resolve it. I have the same sluggish issues. In my 2010 Armada, it would take off and I could race someone (if I wanted to). With the 2018, I wouldn't even attempt it.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
I posted about my transmission issues w my ‘17 Mada on a separate thread, but same issue. My software update helped some but it still shifts, like you said, “unlike any other vehicle I’ve had...”. Tell dealer u need the update. They may take for test ride, but the laptop MUST be connected to the vehicle to determine what software rev u have and need.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
While I had mine at the dealer (for other service), they said there wasn't an update yet for the 2018. I haven't seen any proof that there IS online.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
I suppose the ‘18 models should have the update, but if it’s the same update my ‘17 got (probably is), it still did not fix all the issues, it merely improved the engine lugging that was caused by the early upshifts to save fuel. I get less MPG now, but it did improve that horrible shifting prior to the update. Now it just shifts weird and the trans just seems to be searching for “the right” gear, mostly during normal/casual driving. Drives great when you floor it...but that’s not how most people drive, including myself. I hope they get it right eventually, but they won’t unless enough people complain.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
I normally do not "race" but I do like to get out in front of other cars when taking off from a traffic light. A Rogue decided to race me a couple days ago so I decided OK and I felt like it was a lot harder than it should have been for it to get up and go. It felt like I was towing a trailer or something with a lot of extra weight. It just didn't want to get it like the 2010 would.

121 - 140 of 145 Posts