Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just pulled the trigger on a 2015 Ford Focus Electric. With all of the incentives that are being offered right now, I was able to get the car for a great price, nearly 45% off of MSRP. Incentives include $7500 federal tax rebate, $2500 state tax rebate, $4000 incentive from Ford, another $500 credit for participating in one of their drive events, plus I negotiated about $2000 off of MSRP. Bottom line, the car has a MSRP of $30,990; I'm paying, out the door including tax (9% here in California) and license for just a bit over $17,500. Plus, compared with what I'm spending on gas right now for my BMW, I'll be saving about $40 a week on gasoline. For anybody who has a commute less than about 70 miles per day, this seems like a no brainer, particularly for somebody in California. The car is loaded, with leather, navigation, backup camera, keyless start, satellite radio with traffic, alloy wheels, pushbutton start, keyless entry, heated seats, etc.

Now have to decide whether I get rid of the BMW or not........

Keith

·
Premium Member
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
Wow...that is a deal! Are those things just not selling b/c gas is so cheap or what? How does it drive?

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
once the prices of these cars come down - more and more people will be buying them...

consider leasing - as the technology is only getting better and better......you can lease most of these cars for very very low cost and when the time is up, you can get the newer technology EV car that is out then...

-J

·
Premium Member
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow...that is a deal! Are those things just not selling b/c gas is so cheap or what? How does it drive?
Here in California, gas isn't cheap anymore....last time I filled up at Costco, I paid $3.75 for premium, some stations are pushing $4.25. And, there are a lot of electric cars being sold out here, particularly the Leaf and the Tesla. I can't stand the Leaf, it looks like a bug, and I can't afford a Tesla, although I'd love to have one. I was looking for an affordable, semi-disposable commuter car, and the Focus Electric seems to fit the bill. Yes, in a few years, technology will have advanced so that the range will be more than 75 miles, but my commute is about 55, so that doesn't matter to me. There is no way I'd pay $30K for one of these cars, but for $17.5K, it seemed like the way to go.

As far as how it drives, it drives just like a regular Ford Focus, which means very good, but with instantaneous torque. It is eerily quiet when you're moving, the only noise you hear is wind noise and tire noise. It has plenty of power, and will cruise at 80mph without any problem.

Keith

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
Good stuff. Gas is still cheap here- 2.25 or so for regular. 17.5K is the price for a regular Focus, no?

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Interesting. My commute is 12 miles each way, and I do it twice/day since I come home for lunch to play with my dogs so they're not alone all damn day. In the Armada that costs me 3 gallons/day for about $8. $40/week is about right, ~$160/month.

That's not a terrible value proposition... the MSRP will drop the moment the tax credits go away, and by the same amount. The tax credit is really just a taxpayer gift to Ford.

·
Premium Member
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good stuff. Gas is still cheap here- 2.25 or so for regular. 17.5K is the price for a regular Focus, no?
Yes, but not with the options included on the Focus Electric. Similarly equipped Focus would be in the low to mid 20's, the ST about $3K more.

We picked the car up last night, I drove it to work for the first time this morning. I'm very impressed so far.

Keith

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
Wow...even better value proposition then.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
A co-worker of mine has the Ford cmax energi........most of his drive to work and back is all electric....he gets 1100 miles before he has to fill up the 11 gallon tank....it's nuts...

I'm looking into getting a lead myself.....my commute will make the range no problem....and I have other cars for long distance outings....he only has the cmax so needed gas range with his electric.

J

·
Super Moderator
5,329 Posts
petrol is $4.29 (high test) at the moment here in LA.

ive seen a small handfull of teslas around town. 85-90K is nothing to sneeze at.

tons of prius (prii?) vehicles (they will become self aware one day :0) ). I fancy the tech in a prius but just too small and not attractive.

and the bmw i4? yuck

I DID see the bmw i8, one or two around hollywood. now THAT is a nice hybrid car! id look at that over the tesla..

but for now i love my petrol guzzling 13.6mpg v8 '12 qx.. :D

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
Here in NC local cities and some business are offering plug in stations for free I think. I watch out for the small Smart cars there harder to see than some motorcycles. No bigger than a lunch box.. Congrats on the quiet go car.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
My co-worker said his electric bill is 8 bucks more a month...here in San Antonio tx he has the CPS card that allows for unlimited charging at all the public locations for 60 bucks a year..

-J

·
Premium Member
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good deal but one thing that people don't seem to factor in is the price of electricity.

I'm curious how much your electric bill will go up due to charging? Cali may have free charging stations though I don't know.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Based on about 55 miles each day Monday through Friday, and a bit of running about on the weekends, we calculate our electric bill will go up $50 to $60 a month. Compare that with the cost of gasoline, which at current prices (almost $4 a gallon out here now), I'm paying about $225 per month to go the same distance.

There are a few free charging stations, but they aren't convenient for me to use, and anyhow, they're typically full with other cars charging anyway. We have chargers here where I work that I can use if I want to, they charge $1/hour, which means a full charge will cost me between $3 and $4. A lot of shopping centers have installed free chargers, to entice you to stay at their location and do more shopping. Again, often all of the spaces are full.

Another big benefit I have is the ability to drive in the carpool lane even if I'm the only person in the car. That cuts 10 to 15 minutes off my commute time every day, even more on Thursday and Friday.

Final benefit: no maintenance. The only scheduled maintenance is tire rotation and cabin filters. It was pretty funny when I bought the car, they gave me a certificate for my first service free. The salesman quickly realized what he was giving me had absolutely no value. We both had a good laugh over that.

I've had the car two weeks now, and so far I'm pretty happy with it. Miss driving my BMW, though. But, if anybody here on the forum in the SoCal area knows of somebody looking for a nice 550 BMW with a rare 6 speed manual transmission (only about 500 made total), send me a PM.

Keith

1 - 17 of 17 Posts