Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and gals.
I actually stumbled on this forum and like the willingness to help out. Hopefully I can contribute some. I have an 04 SE 4x4 and have used it from simple cargo running (grocery store) to patrolling as an armed contractor (push bumpers, spots, strobes, 200 watt siren ect. That I installed. The custom made roof rack took me three weeks to fabricate (1400 + welds). I just added an off-road bumper with a 12,00 lb winch. (Yet more welds, yay) My old bumper had so many cracks I hated the squeaking at every bump. Welded my go rhino push bumpers to it with some 1/4" plate steel gap filler adapter plates (They work great at pushing a disabled vehicle out of lanes). Just finished replacing the rear shocks and all sway bar bushings. (More squeaks gone) Added a 3" front and rear lift. So far so good there. Exhaust manifolds cracked yet again so that's the next target on the hit list. Bought it used with 52k miles now at 227k original engine and trans.
First thing to go was the horrible weak brakes (replaced with dimpled and slotted rotors, not cross drilled as those can crack-fragament) at 53k. Then the starter. Really a chore to pull the intake manifold to get it swapped at 123k. Then coils (one failed so they all got replaced, can't be too careful) at 196k. Fuel injectors (to avoid issues) at 200k Drove for years until late last year when the dredded P1283 code popped up. Exhaust manifolds swapped for just over $5,000 at 210k. I'll have to get used to posting here if anyone wants photos of stuff I did to it. I like to document it with lots of photos as I go. LEO training is why lol. You document all evidence. It still runs fantastic. I've had lots of fun with it offroad. You just have to solve issues as you go like anything else in life.

#1 of my Armada rules is to never use a bolt where a weld would work better/last longer.
#2: if I can modify something to be better, out come the tools.
#3: I use whatever components a mod works best with (motorcycle LED flasher tied into the parking brake pedal to strobe the brake indicator. Really grabs your attention when in a hurry to take off the parking brake)
Once I get rid of my MIL issue the mods will continue. 2nd battery, 6000 watt power invert (have to get rid of the 3rd row seat, going to be fun) and a few others.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you,
Hopefully I can help someone out. I've done some mods to my Armada so I've gotten used to taking it apart. As time permits I will post how I've fixed issues along the way. The very first was the dead/flickering third brake light. I had to cut it open after dismounting it and discovered that it supported the led array board with two steel posts that passed the power from the driver board to it. Those posts were soldered to both boards and vibration over time would crack the solder causing failure of the light. Instead of re-soldering it just to have it fail again I just cut the front side of the assembly from the back leaving just the front lens and mounted an aftermarket led brake light behind that lens. It has not failed yet and that repair was in the summer of 08' I really like the vehicle but some of the engineering choices on nissan's part leave me frustrated. As time has passed I have weeded most of them out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts