Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:) Am pretty pumped, have done my share of research...mainly courtesy of this forum and decided on the Volant Gen3 CAI and the Single Stainless Side Sweep Exhaust. I got the CAI for $240 and the Exhaust for a smooth $500, which judging by what people have been telling me isn't too bad and the guy, Tony, at SoCal is very knowledgable and friendly which counts for something, IMHO.

:) From what I gather...I am hoping for 25'ish increase in HP and somewhere in the low 40's increase in torque...hopefully somewhere around the 3k rpm mark. My thoughts were confirmed as Tony told me he doesn't recommend duals for an SUV b/c the single makes more power where you use it...down low-mid.

:) Anway...hoping for a reasonable quick install, esp since my ride will have < 1500 miles on it when I install everything. I think I will change the oil at the same time, just to start everything fresh. ;-)

Scott

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup...had some unexpected overtime at work, so I rewarded myself with an early xmas present! LOL But I figured I might be able to shop online and find either a bit cheaper, but he sells both, has a great rep on here and gave what I felt was a reasonable discount and a little help on shipping. CAI should be here early next week and the Gibson has to be drop shipped from the factory, but still hoping for next week sometime!

Will let you know and maybe I can work on a sound clip if one hasn't arrived on the web somewhere.

Take care,

Scott

adjmcloon said:
Did you go with the Gibson exhaust? I'd consider going that way, but if it's much louder than stock I don't want it.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Exhaust

sturner06 said:
:) From what I gather...I am hoping for 25'ish increase in HP and somewhere in the low 40's increase in torque...hopefully somewhere around the 3k rpm mark. My thoughts were confirmed as Tony told me he doesn't recommend duals for an SUV b/c the single makes more power where you use it...down low-mid.

Scott
Congrats on your Mods. I personally went with the Borla for their quality and reputation. The Gibson is nice, my brother has one on a Ford PU. I helped him install it last year and from experience it is nowhere near the quality of Borla. The mandrel bends are not as smooth, nothing is CNC machined, and they do not come close in their clamps to the accuseal. The Tips Borla mfg stand alone, if you ever saw one you know what I mean. Gibson also uses inferior 409-grade of stainless. BORLA uses only Aircraft Quality T-304 Stainless Steel. Not sure how your guy can tell you the single makes more power where you need it and a Dual will not. Being a Dual or Single has nothing to do with torque or HP. Tube diameter, mandrel bends, muffler, baffles, tips and many other factors play into dyno results. Borla does not post numbers and I see why, MFG’s always exaggerate them. What they do guarantee is performance based on application. Call Borla, they will tell you their dyno results improve torque at any RPM range on the Armada. This is a truck with solid low end torque numbers and Borla guarantees to improve them. If you show them you have lost torque at any RPM range they will take it back no questions asked. I can tell you from my initial experience with this set-up, I have gained noticeable low end torque. With the Borla and CAI my truck is night and day all over the RPM range…it pulls stronger than stock out of the hole, mid, and higher in the R’s between 4-5k. I bought this truck to tow and use in the mountains, torque is big in my book, not speed. You can’t go wrong with either, the Gibson has great feedback from titan talk and this board. But in IMO with Borla over the years, with many installs on cars and trucks, they stand alone. Ferrari, Maserati, Porsche and other performance mfg turn to one company to make some of their exhaust systems and it is not Gibson. Guess who it is? You made a fine choice.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
I have driven Armadas with a Gibson and Borla system, the Borla solution is noisy in comparision...Boomy at lower RPM...Nice sound but loud. I elected to go with the Gibson...It is not as loud and has made a significant difference along with my CAI.

The Borla exits out the back, and can be annoying when towing...hitching and unhitching a trailer, side exhaust is a much better solution.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Exhaust

BRE Armada said:
I have driven Armadas with a Gibson and Borla system, the Borla solution is noisy in comparision...Boomy at lower RPM...Nice sound but loud. I elected to go with the Gibson...It is not as loud and has made a significant difference along with my CAI.

The Borla exits out the back, and can be annoying when towing...hitching and unhitching a trailer, side exhaust is a much better solution.

Not sure why towing would be any different. Last time I checked my boat or camper did not melt with rear exiting exhausts. :D The tips are totally clear of the hitch and any other connections. It will be no different hooking up a trailer with a rear vs. a side exit. Not following your point on this one :confused:

As far as any Borla system including the Armada being “Boomy” at lower RPM??? The Borla at lower RPM is deep but not loud and certainly not “Boomy”, whatever that means.

They are both very nice systems and I do like the sound of each. I have to disagree that the Borla is louder, I have driven the Gibson on a Titan and it was no quieter. You can hear them when you want to and frankly I like hearing mine to some degree. I did not purchase it just for the performance, although that was the main reason, I also went for the looks, and sound. IMO Borla wins, that’s why I bought it. Either way they are both going to be louder than stock, and that’s a fact. The CAI is where most of the noise will come from, not the exhaust. But if you want performance you need to have both to get maximum gains. You will really like your Gibson…Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
SE Off road 1,

I like the Borla system...and it is really well made. This forum is so that we can discuss different opinions...agree, disagree etc.

The Borla with dual exhaust blows straight out the back of your Armada and can be anoying IF your Armada is running and you are hitching up your Armada to a trailer....this is seldom thought of until you experience it and is the main reason I elected to go with a side exhaust solution vs. duals. Secondarily, the Borla is louder, in my opinion, especially at lower RPMS which is where our trucks run 90% of the time. At a certain RPM range the Borla seems to increase in volume significantly AKA "Boomy".

There are aspects of the Gibson that I am not thrilled with, however, I do think that the performance is comparable to the Borla, it does not exit out the back, and it is quieter.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Exhaust

I too agree this board is for all to post their opinions. Hey it all good. To each his own, they are both fine products and I too like them both.

As far as the exhaust in your face, I never had a problem with any of my rear exit exhaust trucks while hooking up trailers, but I’m pretty quick about it.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
BRE Armada said:
There are aspects of the Gibson that I am not thrilled with, however, I do think that the performance is comparable to the Borla, it does not exit out the back, and it is quieter.
Just out of curiosity, what down falls have you found with the Gibson System?

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
rp718 said:
What's the difference in price for the Gibson and Borla?
Borla's website shows an MSRP of $920, but seems like I have seen some members pay as low as $720.

Gibson single swept side goes for about $400 street price for the aluminized...bout $100 more for the stainless version.

To summarize: ~$220 to $320 difference depending on your choice for Gibson's aluminized or stainless versions.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
I contacted few dealers of the Gibson, becarefull when they give you a quote, they tend to forget about the Y, and quote you the price on the myffler and the tail pipe only, we all know that this is not the cat back system. it did happen to DOC91 :(

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.