Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is about a 2004 ARMADA LE I bought a few days ago.

yesterday I drove it on a small road trip for a sort of longer test drive to see if any issues popped up.

it was running pretty good (has almost 300K miles so a little rough to be expected) - seemed to be holding charge, turning over fine, running fine, shifting fine. Then toward the end of the road trip on the way back home I got stranded. I pulled into a store and instead of the usual - put it in park and then turn it off - I left it in neutral and turned it off. When I got back in the key would neither turn the ignition on or come out of the ignition. Key stuck wont come out and wont turn the car on. The battery was not dead even tried jumping which of course did not work because it is the Key stuck wont come out and wont turn the car on issue.

This may be a common issue to someone else but I have never had it happen. After typing “nissan armada key stuck” in Google I read online that this kind of thing can happen if the ignition thinks the car is in gear - or just that it is related to the functioning of the transmission/shifter.

I had also read in manual last night on page 5-13:

Insert a small screwdriver in the shift lock release slot and push down.

5. Move the shift selector lever to the N (Neu- tral) position while holding down the shift lock release.

6. Turn the key to the ON position to unlock the steering wheel. Now the vehicle may be moved to the desired location

which i tried various version of moving it from N to park and back but it did not fix the issue.

Another thread I read on a nissan forum a was talking about being able to go under the dash and flip a level the free the key but I could not find anything.

I also read something about PnP sensor and taking plastic cup holder out to access linkage to free up key?

Alot on info to take in but have not fixed it yet. Any feedback on this issue?

·
Super Moderator
5,627 Posts
you posted a lot of info, but is the car back in PARK or is it still in neutral?

try and wiggle out the key carefully. just seems like a faulty key cylinder.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have tried it in both N and P since it can go to both and is not stuck in one. also tried juggling key in quite a few different ways no go

·
Super Moderator
5,627 Posts
so you car able to put the car in P ?
and if so, you cant start the car? if its in park, did you try to wiggle the steering wheel whilst trying to turn the key or wiggle and eemvoe it? there is nothing software based that is keeping the key in ther.

based on what im reading here, it still seems like the cylinder is just faulty. maybe get a locksmith to help. the little dust caps in the cylinder can wear down and cause difficulty in removing the key.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On a Sentra forum the poster had similar situation. He said:

My ignition key is stuck in the ignition.
1.) Yes, it's in PARK
2.) No, it won't come out in Neutral either
3.) Yes, I've turned the wheel side to side to side.....
4.) I'm parked on flat ground.
5.) The engine is off.
6.) I've pushed, pulled, jiggled, wiggled.
Result:
Key will not turn all the way to "0" position. Key will not come out of ignition.
key does not crank the car. I could turn the cylinder but nothing happens. Did not try to crank

But it is good to hear you say it is not software related sound like if it is cylinder that would be less costly than if somehow also involving the tranny.

·
Super Moderator
5,627 Posts
if you cant physically REMOVE your key from the cylinder when the car is in PARK and engine is shut off, that to me sounds like a physical issue with the cylinder. there are lots of videos on the internet of people having issues with their key being stuck. this is not unique to nissan. you can see similar issue with other cars around the world.

with all due respect, and if you need to use the car, id call a local reputable locksmith and tell them your situation.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
The problem is with your shifter. There is a pin in the console that sheared. You are moving the shifter but the transmission is still in gear and not park. There are many you tube videos showing how to fix this. This happened to me. I bought the pin at advance auto.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well i can move it but only by sticking the screwdriver in the hole next to shifter so what is actually going on could be somewhat deceptive. I have had it in both Park and N though as far as I can tell. As you know it moves freely using the screwdriver.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
This is what happened to my 05 QX56 while pulling my boat out of the water at the ramp. I found this video on my phone and was able to get it home. Where I could replace the disintegrated shifter cable bushing in the console.:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well this remains unsolved. The shop I left it at put in a new battery and it turned over. said they did not know what could have been wrong. they are american shop so the feedback is not quite reliable. Now I am left waiting for it to happen again...great :(

·
Super Moderator
5,627 Posts
id have taken this straight to nissan. spend the diag fee and get people who work on these cars day in and day out.
it could be your key cylinder....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts