Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a chart compiled by my latest G-Tech run.

Comments?

I know that the mph is a 2-3 mph higher than a strip run would be because this accelerometer measures true speed at the END of the quarter and a dragstrip timer AVERAGES the mph over the last 60 feet.

I think this may be optimistic by a tenth or two for the quarter, but seems quite realistic for the intermediate times.

Horsepower and torque seem right for a basically unmodded truck (only the airbox mod and a K&N drop-in). I have a K&N Aircharger I can put on quickly, because once assembled, it can be swapped out in a matter of minutes. But it was not installed for this run.

Temperature was 52 degrees. In my experience, these engines are very sensitive to temperature changes and cool weather makes a big difference. I ran 15.2's to 15.3's back in the summer's 90 degree weather with the exact same setup.

I do think that a properly broken in Armada with Big Tow in basically stock form can break into the high 14's with minimal modifications.

I wonder if our slightly better times compared to Titans, even though we are heavier may be due to better top end performance (from the 1/8 mile to the end of the quarter) due to better aerodynamics compared to the pickup bed. I also think that the 17 inch rims and tires on my Offroad package may help too.
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
438 Posts
K&N Question

Why aren't you running the Air Charger? Seems like a nice piece to be sitting on. Nice run though.

I installed a K&N Air Charger and it made a significant power increase from 2500-4000 RPM. Low end torque seems the same...strong! My Borla is supposed to arrive this week :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
SE Off Road1 said:
Why aren't you running the Air Charger? Seems like a nice piece to be sitting on. Nice run though.

I installed a K&N Air Charger and it made a significant power increase from 2500-4000 RPM. Low end torque seems the same...strong! My Borla is supposed to arrive this week :)
Thanks, guys. I should have put the Aircharger on. I am not convinced that the Volant actually produces more power.

But the truth is simple -- one word: NOISE. I'm 55 years old. I've gone through my young and single days during the muscle car era. I tend to favor refinement now. My wife absolutely hates the noise from the Aircharger.

I'll put it on and make another run for comparison. I've done this before and can tell you what I expect: The K&N drop-in produces 2 horses more at the rear wheels than the stock filter. The K&N Aircharger produces 8-10 horses over stock (6-8 over the drop in) at the rear wheel.

If I were in a heads up race at the strip, I'd put the Aircharger on to get a little extra edge, but for daily driving, I'm at an age where refinement does has its value. I will probably stick with the drop-in around town and stay with the factory exhaust. It is very efficient, and has a nice muscle car rumble to it without being too loud for my taste.

If I could find a more open exhaust that remained quiet, I'd go for it.

What I'm looking hard at right now is long tube headers. A properly designed set would yield substantial gains without making a lot of noise in the process.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,362 Posts
Armada said:
Thanks, guys. I should have put the Aircharger on. I am not convinced that the Volant actually produces more power.

But the truth is simple -- one word: NOISE. I'm 55 years old. I've gone through my young and single days during the muscle car era. I tend to favor refinement now. My wife absolutely hates the noise from the Aircharger.

I'll put it on and make another run for comparison. I've done this before and can tell you what I expect: The K&N drop-in produces 2 horses more at the rear wheels than the stock filter. The K&N Aircharger produces 8-10 horses over stock (6-8 over the drop in) at the rear wheel.

If I were in a heads up race at the strip, I'd put the Aircharger on to get a little extra edge, but for daily driving, I'm at an age where refinement does has its value. I will probably stick with the drop-in around town and stay with the factory exhaust. It is very efficient, and has a nice muscle car rumble to it without being too loud for my taste.

If I could find a more open exhaust that remained quiet, I'd go for it.

What I'm looking hard at right now is long tube headers. A properly designed set would yield substantial gains without making a lot of noise in the process.
I think the Gibson is pretty quiet and makes good power. I want the same thing. I don't want to be waving banners all over that I have moded this and its fast. I want a sleeper that's comfortable to drive but fast as snot. Let the 80hp civics with fart pipes broadcast that they like to race but are slow. I"ll go the other way. Keep me in the loop about what you find.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Steath is cool. If Stillen or someone else gets a reliable supercharger and emission legal long tube headers, that's where I want to go. There is something great about the surprised look on the face of an "adversary" when they get blown away be something that should be a slug. Especially if that "adversary" has the word "Hemi" on the side.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,362 Posts
Armada said:
Steath is cool. If Stillen or someone else gets a reliable supercharger and emission legal long tube headers, that's where I want to go. There is something great about the surprised look on the face of an "adversary" when they get blown away be something that should be a slug. Especially if that "adversary" has the word "Hemi" on the side.
Now we're talking. Hemis are good eatin'. ;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,213 Posts
I made another run this morning. The temp was 58 and very high humidity. This run was not quite as quick as my best times.

1/4 [email protected] MPH
1/8 [email protected] MPH
60'---------------2.161
0-60-------------6.118

On this run I went on to the speed limiter. On my Armada it was 116.9 MPH.

Big Tow, stock 18" wheels and tires, Volant, Airaid TBS, Gibson single
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,362 Posts
scr38 said:
I made another run this morning. The temp was 58 and very high humidity. This run was not quite as quick as my best times.

1/4 [email protected] MPH
1/8 [email protected] MPH
60'---------------2.161
0-60-------------6.118

On this run I went on to the speed limiter. On my Armada it was 116.9 MPH.

Big Tow, stock 18" wheels and tires, Volant, Airaid TBS, Gibson single
Good Stuff!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,213 Posts
SilverQShip said:
Have fun? did you get spin off the line?
Very little tire spin on this run. This run did back up my fastest one, which was 14.69 in the quarter. The .044 second difference isn't much! My 0-60 time was only .012 seconds difference, and the 60' time (2.161 sec) was .068 faster than my previous best time. I need to make another run when the air isn't so damp, but still cool. I think I can come very close to breaking 6 seconds for 0-60.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
SCR38: Great runs. Looks like the Volant and the exhaust pick up about .2 seconds over my basically stock set up. Are you 4x4? I couldn't tell whether there is any weight difference.

I think I'll run the tank down to close to empty, put in about 1/4 tank of 93 octane, put the Aircharger intake back on, and see what she will do. I've thought about bumping the timing a couple degrees too, but have not done that. My posted run was with 87 octane.

I'm going to have to work on the 60 foot times. It looks like I'm losing it all to you right there in the first 60 feet. But I come on very strong on the top end.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
264 Posts
I've thought about bumping the timing a couple degrees too
On the titan board they said this was a way to get a few ponies for cheap, so when you do change your timing tell me what you did so i can do that :clever:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,213 Posts
Armada said:
SCR38: Great runs. Looks like the Volant and the exhaust pick up about .2 seconds over my basically stock set up. Are you 4x4? I couldn't tell whether there is any weight difference.

I think I'll run the tank down to close to empty, put in about 1/4 tank of 93 octane, put the Aircharger intake back on, and see what she will do. I've thought about bumping the timing a couple degrees too, but have not done that. My posted run was with 87 octane.

I'm going to have to work on the 60 foot times. It looks like I'm losing it all to you right there in the first 60 feet. But I come on very strong on the top end.
My Armada is 4X2, so you are a little heavier than me. I weighed mine so I would know the exact weight. I haven't tried a run with 93. I need to try it.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top